Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

I think the AOTC droid stuff was more a nod of sorts to the tripods in The War Of The Worlds stuff, rather than a Doctor Who story.

That said though, there seems to be some references to "City of Death" in The Lodger (The Silence ship's exterior is very similar), and Clara's backstory in season seven is sort of close to Scaroth's/Scarlioni, although less "evil".

2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I know....

But Clara got annoying with the "impossible girl" stuff. It just irked me.

3. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    The Fifth Doctor's anti-human bigotry in Warriors Of The Deep, which allowed many humans to be slaughtered. This was WAY out of character, the Silurians were out to slaughter the human race. Was this any different from say, the Daleks, doing it?

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Would he just be feeling guilty for the previous times he ran in to the Silurians were UNIT basically blasted them each time against the Doctor's wishes. He wanted the species to be friends and come to an understanding, yet UNIT blew them up behind his back.

5. The Four Doctor

The Doctor has no right to be upset with the Brigadier.

The Silurians had just made two unprovoked attempts to wipe out the human race and caused thousands to die from the Silurian virus. The Silurians had proved themselves to have superior technology to humans and powers (the third eye) which made them a very serious threat. The Brigadier's actions were completely understandable under the circumstances.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

How do folks feel about Turlough's revelation in Frontios about the Tractatots destroying his home planet, and then having a Trion Civilization in Planet of Fire? I didn't ntice anything necessarily directly contradictory, but, it would've been nice had they made some mention of Trion being a new home Planet.

7. Gingerbread Demon

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Gravis controlled the other tractators and with all of them behind they were able to pull the TARDIS under the surface and pull it apart. Of course it should be noted that that was the second time the TARDIS was destroyed and the universe wasn't destroyed along with it.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

In reality only one Silurian was a threat, the Doctor was able to make peace with the other Silurian leader. The Silurians weren't presented as a race of monsters, but rather an intelligent group of people with good and bad Silurians.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Depends how it's done, its possible to drop an atom bomb and have it shatter into its constituent parts without exploding, but if it's detonated corretly...

11. Gingerbread Demon

What was the other time?

Was it in Old Who or only that bit with the Pandorica?

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing DWF is refering to The Mind Robber, although I'm not sure if that counts since it was inside the world of fiction (unless I'm remembering the specifics wrong which is entirely possible)

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I LOVE City of Death. The story may not make complete sense. But, the characters and lines in this story are awesome!

Mr Awe

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yes it was in The Mind Robber. But however it was done the universe wasn't destroyed, I imagine though any breach in the TARDISes dimensions could cause a masive explosion. But no doubt the Time Lords had a way of making sure that didn't happen.

15. Gingerbread Demon

Probably many safety interlocks to avert such events, or minimize them if they do happen.

However given that artwork I posted above I wonder how we could see the full size of a TARDIS without the "outside shell" if that were jettisoned.. I wonder what it would look like if the outside shell were removed leaving the actual ship inside visible...

Actually that hurts my head. I read one of the short stories with the 5th Doctor and Tegan and she was in the "observation room" which has clear walls showing the outside world, and more specifically that wall had contact with the outside world. The TARDIS had landed inside a giant creature called the Voorvilika (spelling) and the observation room was in direct contact with the outside world which hurts my head since the Police Box is the bit they exit from, and enter...

16. Volpone

Volpone Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First half of "Curse of Fenric" tonight.

I'm enjoying it a lot.:wtf:

I mean, it is like they just found someone who knows how to do a story for it. The costumes work. The story doesn't have 6 different things going on at once--you've got your "good guys," your "bad guys," and your Ancient Evil that is taking over people for its Evil Army, with The Doctor and Ace in the middle of it. The acting is solid. About the most odd thing is the guy having a replica of a Nazi office, but I'll allow that. So far there aren't any muwhahahahahaa eeevil characters or people doing things that make me want to bash my brains out. So far a very enjoyable little story.

Oh, and The Doctor acts like The Doctor--he doesn't do anything stupid or whacky, he just walks into the middle of the situation and presents an air of authority that is credible, like in the old 3 and 4 Doctor days. Even the forged pass was entertaining.

17. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Thinking in three dimensions. Its the TARDIS. Don't do that. It will only hurt in the end. You have to go at least 12D to get anything remotely reasonable out of the thing.

Plus at some point in time, the TARDIS didn't have the Eye of Harmony in it...or did it? Is that what was needed to be in all places at once in all time to explode? Was that what the Seventh Doctor had eventually? Or was it another modification during the Time War to make the TARDIS independently powered, rather than powered via something on Gallifrey.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

McCoy will never be my favourite Doctor, but this remains one of my favourite stories, it has a few problems but on the whole it's a really solid story that you imagine could have worked in any era. Even the celebrity cameo works (the Reverend is Nicholas Parsons who at the time was most famous for presenting a quiz show called Sale of the Century--yes he's a vastly experienced actor but at the time I think most people just thought of him as a game show host)

Be interesting to see what you think of the second half.

19. The Four Doctor

Fenric: No wonder Ace's mother had problems - she wasn't a girl under those diapers!

20. Volpone

Volpone Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. The second half isn't nearly as strong as the first half. It kind of falls apart, but after so many horrible stories, this one is watchable.

For the long version:

They tried to point out the whole "descendants of the surviving Vikings" thing, but it isn't really clear. This is partly because that's just a crutch to explain when characters are doing inexplicable things. Why does the British commander know so much of what is going on? He's a Wolf of Fenric. How come none of the other Wolves of Fenric seem to be in on the joke? Beats me.

Why does the Big Bad have his Toad King destroy all the other vampires? Beats me. Because otherwise you've got to somehow tie up that loose end after everything else.

Why does the Big Bad fall for the same trick 1,700 years later? Beats me. And how, in the rules of chess, can the black and white pawn work together? If the key to solving the puzzle is to cheat, doesn't that make the whole thing kind of pointless?

During the siege of the church, why does Ace run up on the roof to climb down a ladder so she can climb right back up the ladder? Apparently to fill up some time.

Then there's the minor nitpicks. We get a scene of the Doctor using his umbrella because it is raining out. Then the foreshadowing that the vampires are going to attack the church is because there's a puddle--but the Doctor says it isn't raining out. Then we get some more scenes in the rain. Does the Doctor think leaky roofs of ancient buildings are like light switches, where they are instantly on or off? Was the maid supposed to have mopped up the puddle after the previous rain?

And the whole boner over Communism. The Soviet captain's faith in Communism vanquishes the vampires. (Oh, and if the Doctor knew how to drive off the vampires the whole time, why did he wait until we had about 10 minutes of "Night of the Living Dead" before springing that little Deus ex Machina?) But I digress. Communism. The Soviets are all noble and good while the British soldiers are largely weak, stupid, or evil. Speaking of which, what about the one that got gut-shot by the Commander and is at death's door but stages pretty much a full recovery by the end of the episode? Was there a "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" running gag going there that no one told us about?

So yeah. First half is awesome. The second half is considerably weaker, but it gets by on the good will the story has built up and doesn't do anything TOO horrible. The Doctor and Ace have a really nice chemistry together and the Doctor is written the best he's been in a couple seasons or so. If I had a couple hours to kill and it was on, I'd certainly sit down and catch it.

Still, I'll to