Valiant Comics 3.0 edition

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Before my big purge of comic buying some time early next year I'm going to be sampling the third reinvention of the Valiant Comics Universe. I've not noticed anyone else name drop the titles in our other threads so here goes.

Valiant Universe(1.0) was first started in 1989 and saw the flagship titles reach into the 50's. The longest running being X-O Man of War which went 68 issues not counting annuals.
    The universe suffered the same mid 90s implosion and ended.

The Valiant Universe(2.0) brought back as part of Acclaim Entertainment in 1996. Acclaim was mostly interested in licensing the lead characters for video games in which Shadowman and Turok sold well. This lasted until 2002 when Acclaim then went bankrupt.

The characters were tied up in legal and some of the core characters were licensed anyway such as Solar, Magnus and Turok and those went back to the owners.

Dark Horse Comics had a pseudo-Valiant revival with these characters two years ago. A sort of Valiant Universe 2.5 if you will. That's how I see it anyway. This lasted less than a year.

Now new investors under the banner of Valiant Entertainment have relaunched the Valiant Universe, the 3.0 era.
    Wave One of the relaunch included the following 4 books:
    X-O Man of War
    Harbinger
    Bloodshot
    Archer & Armstrong

So far the only known Wave Two book is:
    Ninjak

I'm hoping Shadowman is part of wave two.

I've really enjoyed the X-O relaunch, which is up to issue #3. Thus far this is the one title that feels mined from the original with minimal updating.

My second favorite is Bloodshot followed by Archer&Armstrong then sadly Harbinger which I wanted to be able to say otherwise. I think the set up in A&A could lead to some great stories as they are foreshadowing Ivar(the Time Traveler) and Gilam's(the Eternal Warrior) return eventually. Seems to be a master plan in place they intend to stitch together for us but still X-O is my top read.

Has anyone else picked these up? Are you trade waiting? At any rate for the comic set on these boards wanted to see what your thoughts were.

2. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't read any Valiant titles the first time around, but have been intrigued by this revival. I did pick up Bloodshot #1. I thought it was okay. I liked the artwork. I've seen the preview for Shadowman and I will give that a shot.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I refuse to get involved with the Valiant shananaghans again. Although I really liked several of the 1.0 titles way back in the day. XO and Magnus being at the top of the list. Ok maybe I will get XO. Damn you Captain Craig and your Valiant topic of discussion!!!

4. Captain Craig

I do think if you get X-O you'll be pleased. Especially if you were a fan of the original. I just loaned every one of my current issues to a friend of mine. He was pretty stoked to borrow them all in one bundle.

5. Captain Craig

Harbinger #3 - Peter is finally introduced to others within the organization that are special like himself. One is called Livewire and I can't recall my early Harbinger characters in totality. I feel she is going to be important as we get into this series. She seems to be a trusted student. At the issues end though we get a tease for Zephyr who I do recall from the original run. This issue finally raised the title out of mediocrity for me.

Bloodshot #2 - His memories are coming back to him and he sets off to make a connection to his old life. However, that is not ideal and Bloodshot has to dodge and avoid his captors but he's so hungry his nanites can't recharge to repair him so there is that bit of chase going on internally with him. I like where this title is going so far.

Plus confirmation of the first book in Wave 2 has been announced for November: Shadowman #1

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't been to the comic shop in quite some time, but I did get issues 1 and 2 of X-O Manowar. So far, I was really impressed. They are sticking very much to Valiant 1.0 in terms of his origin, as Valiant 2.0 had a totally different origin and characters. I recently hit upon some issues of 2.0 X-O Manowar and they weren't bad, but the original idea of a barbarian getting an uber-powerful armor and being transported to the present day was just so cool.

I really like this Aric and while I can foresee some issues when he hits the present day, I think it will be presented differently than in 1.0. I wonder if they'll go with the "Aric inherits/falls into a company and fortune" route. That did present an easy way to get him involved in the present day, but I think it stretched credibility, even with the armor and Ken's help, that he went from a barbarian to a CEO so quickly.

I think X-O Manowar is in great hands, currently. I haven't tried the other titles and frankly, I don't know if I will. I want to support Valiant, but honestly, the characters hold no interest for me, and didn't in their 1.0/2.0 days, either.

I really liked X-O Manowar and through them, I grew to like the Armorines. I also really enjoyed the first arc on Geomancer (with a relatively new pencilor named Rags Morales. I often wonder whatever became of him. ;)) and that got me interested in The Eternal Warrior. I might have read an issue here and there of Bloodshot and Harbinger, but nothing to get me interested. Maybe I'll trade-wait them this time around.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Used to read the old Magnus Robot fighter series occasionally in the 80s...always thought they could do a remake...apparently its been done already!

8. Captain Craig

RAMA, Dark Horse did that as part of what I'm calling Valiant 2.5. If you're curious check out some of the online retailers for the trade. Magnus Robot Fighter

As for Valiant 3.0, yesterday saw the release of X-O Manowar #4.
    It's Aric's first full issue in the 21st century. He battles a few jets thinking they are just new weapons by the Emperor and boasts they can't stop him. It takes a bystander to let him know their is no Roman Empire or Emperor. The armor then uploads the centuries of info relevant to Rome milestones and he realizes his situation. We also find out The Vine's operatives that are in place on Earth. Now that we are in modern day I'm curious if this relaunch will place him heading up ORB industries or something different + the revelations on The Vine operatives and what they will do.

9. Captain Craig

Released this week:

Harbinger #4 - this issue see the death of Joe, Peter's runaway friend and travel companion prior to being picked up by Harda in the earlier issues. They said he was going to be watched over but Peter quickly deduces they killed him and this causes him to leave with Livewire's help. However, not before Harada introduces him to Faith aka Zephyr and tries to have Peter "turn on" her powers vs using a machine to do so that has mixed results.

X-O Manowar #5 - Great issue here as Aric, now fully aware of his situation, is coming to terms with when he is in time now. This issue is also the first introduction of Ninjak into the Valiant 3.0 universe and it was handled well. Gave just enough but left mystery about him as well.

It was also revealed at Baltimore Comic Con last weekend that the Eternal Warrior's first full blown appearance in V3.0 will be in Archer & Armstrong #5, the start of that books second arc. Which should be a December release.

Shivkala are you at least still getting X-O since you picked up the first two issues? Since you liked Geomancer(at least the first arc back in the day) you might be keen to know that word is out they are going to introduce a new female Geomancer at some point during A&A second arc whose in tow with Eternal Warrior. She is going to be the first focal female hero of V3.0 for them.

10. Captain Craig

On the off chance any of the comic fans here with Comixology accounts that haven't tried VALIANT there is a limited amount being offered for FREE. A few #1 issues both new and old.

FREE VALIANT #1's for a LIMITED TIME

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked the first issue of Shadowman. Art and writing were strong. But I'm holding off to get the first volume for 9.99. I did pick up a similarly priced volume for X-O Manowar. The artwork was good and I thought the story was decent. It didn't knock me over, but it was okay.

12. Captain Craig

Going to plug the Summer of Valiant pt.II that just kicked off last week at your LCS.

Kicking off the new Valiant is dipping into their Acclaim years.

Quantum & Woody #1 debuted last week as the July title. Written by James Asmus and drawn by Tom Fowler.
    Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps
    Spinning out of the mini-event, Harbinger Wars, the Bloodshot title is undergoing a change to Bloodshot and The H.A.R.D. Corps. They debut regularly at issue #14 in September, keeping the numbering from the solo Bloodshot title. The HARD Corps are an original VU team from the mid-90's who were called back into service during the Harbinger Wars after being in retirement. Co-Plotted by Josh Dysart and Christos Gage while being drawn by fairly newcomer Emanuela Luppacchino. Her work on Archer & Armstrong was fantastic.

Eternal Warrior #1 coming early September, written by Greg Pak and drawn by Trevor Hairsine.
    [​IMG] [/IMG]

And since this may be the only opportunity to tweak the passively curious the Fall title is allegedly going to be Ninjak #1. Launching November in the slot Shadowman did last year.

Valiant is also doing their first Oversized HardCover in October with X-O Manowar vol.1, details at the very bottom of the page.

13. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

i will try the new Manowar as soon as i will have the time.