sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Enterprise is Great

IDW Entertainment & EOne To Develop Jonathan Maberry’s ‘V-Wars’ As Series

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ah, the Vampire Apocalypse. Well, the part about the different kinds of Vampires sounds interesting, anyway.

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Extant looks interesting-I'm just afraid it will get all complicated, go on an over-long hiatus and drop so far in viewership that it never recovers, only to be canceled when it starts getting really good.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't it just a miniseries? I swear I remember it being referred to as a limited series somewhere when they first started talking about it around the web.

6. Enterprise is Great

The creator of Extant is already talking about a potential second season. According to this article there's no agreed upon definition of the term limited series.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Under the Dome was also described as a limited series. They're increasingly using that description for network shows and it doesn't necessarily mean that the show is a close-ended miniseries. In most cases they're shows that are open to renewal if the ratings are strong enough. They're just shows designed to have seasons of 13 episodes or less. The term is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

8. RJDiogenes

Since nothing lasts forever, all series are technically limited series. :rommie:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'd call it more a matter of preparing for the worst. No show is guaranteed renewal -- in fact, the odds are against it -- so in this more serialized era, it makes sense to have your first season be a self-contained story that comes to a satisfactory conclusion, while still having the option of continuing if the audience response is there.

Although it doesn't always work out that way. The recent Dracula show that aired on NBC was billed as a limited series, but its finale was more a cliffhanger/setup than a proper resolution, with some things resolved but just as much left hanging. And then it didn't get renewed anyway, at least not by NBC (though it's a British production, so it could conceivably continue elsewhere).

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Under The Dome didn't have any kind of resolution either. They must have had some kind of plan on how to either end it or keep it going, depending on how the ratings were.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's to fool you into sticking around until the end of the Season ;) "Ah, Hell, I've already watched 6 episodes, and it's only gonna be 10 episodes, I may as well go ahead and watch the other 4" Episode 10 ends up being where it starts getting really good and resolves everything and has a great cliffhanger, that traps you into tuning in next Season (If it gets renewed)

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It likely just would have been cancelled without resolution had the ratings been poor. That's what's happened to other limited series with open-ended season finales.

13. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Star-Crossed. Ugh.

14. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And not only is there a satisfactory conclusion, but viewers won't bail out because the ending "matters". If there was no definite conclusion, some semi-fans (who kinda liked it, but not hard core) would give up watching in favor of doing something else. And that's not good for the network (or especially advertisers who were sold on the show in the first place)

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

As has been discussed, though, the term "limited series" isn't only applied to shows where the season in question has a satisfactory conclusion. Some limited series fit that bill, some don't.

16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually a co-production between Sky Living and NBC, which is different from say Hannibal, which is only a production of Gaumont TV.

Considering Sky also co-produces Penny Dreadful now I wouldn't hold your breath.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Bitten has been renewed for a second season.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hey! Kegg! Nice to see you around again.

19. RJDiogenes

Good news. It had improved greatly by the end of the season, although, unfortunately, the main character is still the weak link.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Showtime has renewed Penny Dreadful for a second season.