MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

75 days until Pitchers and Catchers report...

2. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

It's a head scratcher for sure. And you're dead on about the dingers. He's always been a "fly-ball" pitcher which means they are just "this much" away from going yard. I was always on the edge of me seat.

But there was something there. Before his injury he was GREAT out of the pen and did well starting as well.

Maybe that contract indicates just how weak the pitching market is right now?

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doug Fister to...the Nats??

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Strasburg
    Gio
    Fister
    Zimmermann
    Detwiler/other

That's one hell of a rotation. Jesus.

5. Yanks

^^ Agree, but it's still National League, so it's sub-par.

It's official: Yankees sign catcher Brian McCann to five-year contract. One down.... a few to go...

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

A.J. Pierzynski signed by the Red Sox, 1 yr/8.25M reportedly.

Didn't want them to give Salty the price/years he wanted, as apparently they've got some hot prospects at catcher almost ready in the minors, so a pretty decent 1-year stopgap. Salty's due for major regression anyway, he was way over his head last year until he ran out of gas at the end.

Not crazy about AJ, but for one year at short money, it'll work. Compared to the 2-3 year deals going around for junk, 1 year at 8M is a nice deal.

7. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I think part of the issue with Hughes is a little bit of supply and demand. The SP free agent market kinda sucks, and the Twins really need pitching. Of course, they'll never be willing to buy someone that actually counts, but the fact that they are spending anything and not just trading at least seems somewhat promising. Because Twins pitching is absolutely dreadful.

And yeah, Hughes may have sucked in NY, but his stats on the road were better. If he's a fly-ball pitcher, then Target Field is a better venue than NY. He'll be likely to give up a few less home runs. Also, the AL East is ridiculous with the home run hitting, where as the AL Central is really pathetic aside from Detroit (and with Fielder gone, they likely won't have the same punch). I'm guessing he'll do better in Minnesota, and is likely to do better than most of the chumps pitching for us last year.

8. Yanks

True. All good points. I'm not rooting against him, just think the price is way to high.

I hope he turns it around.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The price has always been too high on mediocre starting pitching. Who gives Gil Meche, Carlos Silva and Edwin Jackson $11+ million a season? Is there really no one in the farm system you can try out?

I remember the Rays signing Wilson Alvarez to a big contract on the basis that Scott Boras was selling him as a franchise ace and they believed it. :shrug:

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Salty to the Marlins, 3/21M

Ellsbury to the Yankees, 7/153M. Option to make it 8/169M! Good player, but huge overpay IMO. Especially when he's just a slightly better Gardner, but for more than 20M/year...

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone remember when Kirby Puckett and Rickey Henderson were the highest paid players in baseball? Now a utility player makes what they made.

13. Yanks

I think that's a little high too, but I can't say I'm disappointed that he's in pin-stripes.

Some serious production just was added to the line-up.

I hope he stays healthy.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

not convinced much was added. compared to Granderson, most of your CF numbers just went DOWN...

15. Yanks

It depend on which numbers you think are important.

Ellsbury brings a higher on base percentage, less strike-outs, more stolen bases and you don't loose much pop.

I want both of them out there ;)

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Fun fact: If Ellsbury had hit one fewer home run this past season, his 2011 season would comprise exactly half of his career total. Remove 2011 from the equation (because he's never going to repeat that), and he averages about eight dingers a season. Ellsbury has very little pop; he's basically Carl Crawford 2.0 (except he's somehow getting paid more). Ellsbury is not elite talent, and there's no reason to pay him like he is.

The other interesting factor in play here is that the Yankees are still desperately trying to get under the luxury tax threshold and reports say they haven't given up on Cano, which would suggest they're expecting a Christmas present in the form of a lengthy Alex Rodriguez suspension.

17. Yanks

I'm not so sure about the "trying to stay under $189". I know they've stated that, but it sure doesn't seem like that's really a factor.

Not sure I agree about Ellsbury either. I think he is a top tear player. Just look at what he brought to the Red Sox last year.

I DEEPLY hope that the Yankees know something we don't about the Choke-Rod debacle. Nothing would make my day more than to never see this guy play another game (at least never again in pin-stripes)

I also read that they Yanks won't go over $175 for Cano....

We'll see I guess, it's kind of suprising to me that Seattle all of a sudden "might" be willing to pay Cano $200. I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Well, they were rumored to be in on Ells, so now that that money is available again, it's not that far fetched. They've got some pitching, need some bats.

And for all the people the Yanks are bringing in, pitching remains their biggest problem, and they've done nothing about that. good luck there...

19. Yanks

I think they are going to bring in Jap sensation Tanaka.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/japan/player.cgi?id=tanaka003mas

Fingers crossed on getting Kuroda to sign one more...

Peneda should be healthy for the first time in Pinstripes...

I don't think Robertson is the answer to replace Mo. He's too good and too valuable to bring in in the 7th and 8th.

Lots of work to do...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  20. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

If the Yankees somehow get out of that contract, I'll be livid. They shouldn't be rewarded because A-Rod acted stupid. They signed him, they should have to live with it, not receive a get of jail free card.

Hell, there is a way from suspected PED guys from getting raises like Peralta did from the Cardinals. If you're caught with PEDs to the point of a major suspension like A-Rod, the team should still have to eat that contract money. That'll cause teams to think twice about signing guys who seem to pose that PED use.

As for Ellsbury...it sucks its NY, but I'm glad the Sox aren't paying him that kind of money. Granted, this is really the only way they can reload because their farm system is the Mojave at the moment. Meanwhile the Sox have young guys coming up that they can start using to fill these holes, and using the draft picks from these FA to draft more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.