Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.2%
  2. A

27.1%
  3. A-

14.7%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

13.5%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you have to stretch like Reed Richards to make Ang Lee's film fit. To each, their own.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that change is the big one. The origin of the Hulk as shown in that scene is different and I'm not at all sympathetic to the idea of a very convoluted theory of "going back" and doing it a second time in order to explain it. Nor does the first Hulk movie at all talk about super soldier or anything like that. The differences there are not small or insignificant and the gap between the movies is growing as more material is added.

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just don't find myself convolutedness on Banner experimenting on an official capacity to extract the radiation out of him, because its not nearly as convoluted as many, many other things that populate the superhero genre. The entire idea of superheroes is convoluted, so the idea to go back and experiment to get the Hulk out of him is not nearly as extravagant.

Really, you guys need to loosen up. I understand most if not all of you don't like Lee's Hulk, but don't preclude others from considering it in the MCU.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's not.

5. Alidar Jarok

I'll tell you what, I'll table this discussion until a week from Tuesday.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

How would you explain Glenn Talbot's death in Ang Lee's Hulk and resurrection in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

In the light of Captain America: The Winter Soldier; who's with Hydra, who's working with the Clairvoyant, and who's with S.H.I.E.L.D.

[​IMG]

I like AoS and all but I kinda want to watch ^that series.

AoS: The Next Level

8. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two clearly different people.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Some in the AoS thread have insisted that Hand isn't the bad guy as last week's episode implied at the end...but I think they were revealing her as such, and that she'll be the face of the Hydra conspiracy on the show. We'll know more tonight.

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

From this interview with Kevin Feige:

I'm going to side with Feige on this one. HULK is not part of the MCU.

11. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, that was my take on it. It was a soft reboot that assumed people were familiar with Hulk's origins (either through the comics or from the previous movie) and they didn't need to devote time to an origin story again (they did have exposition explaining the whole thing in the middle of the movie, although I think that was specifically to make clear the supersoldier aspect of this version). But I don't think they intended to be tied down by any specific aspect of that first Hulk movie.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I can't believe this is even considered debatable. As the man says, you see the bullet point version of the origin at the start of the Norton film. Hiring the same actor to play a tertiary role hardly canonised the Ang Lee film. It's like saying the Batman Arkham games are in the same continuity as the old DCAU cartoons because a number of voice actors reprised their roles. Or, for the sake or argument say Alfred Molina showed up in 'Amazing Spider-Man 3' I don't think anyone would seriously think that it'd prove that the old Tobey Maguire films took place in the same continuity. It's just common sense.

That aside, the tone and content of the Ang Lee film is so far removed from the Norton film I have a hard time imagining how anyone could think they're connected beyond both being about the same character.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

So what was Heimdall thinking watching S.H.I.E.L.D. crash and burn?

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Do Asgardians meddle in internal affairs?

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Asgard have watched thousands of years of humans slaughtering each other with complete disinterest. Odin made it clear what they think of us in TDW.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Still, after the world became aware of Thor, you'd think he would step up his game in keeping earth under his protection.

17. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

This debate reminds me of a common myth that the Transformers: Cybertron TV series is a sequel to the Transformers: Energon comic and not the Transformers: Energon TV series.

18. The Old Mixer

This. That's all I have to contribute to that particular topic.

It's an internal affair...Asgard wouldn't protect Earth from itself. If Heimdall was paying enough attention, presumably he's known about the Hydra conspiracy for decades.

"Oh, look...the black ants finally learned that the red ants have been playing them."

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Loki made this very point to his face in The Avengers and Thor shrugged it off.

He cares about Jane, to a lesser degree Selvig and I suppose about Darcey.

He makes fancy speeches about being Earth's protector. But what he really means is, kicking the shit out of any *alien* threat, then disppearing back home to receive praise, and humans as a species to pick up the pieces. And cares little to nothing about anything else we do.

That a mad Beserker came to love Humanity more than Odin or Thor ever did says something.

20. The Old Mixer

It's not a bad thing...they're just concerned with a different scale. You can't save another free-willed species from themselves.