Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

He saw Batman with a cape and thought it looked cool.

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

He's Superman...he has Super-hold-it-in powers.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The more I see of it the more I really dislike the costume redesign. :ack: :thumbdown:

I'm mildly intrigued by the film itself, but that costume is lousy.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Super bladder and bowel control?

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, nothing's more humiliating than being stripped down to your underwear in front of the victors. ;)

Do the other Kryptonians in this versions have superpowers under a yellow sun as well, or only Kal-El because he's a naturally born Kryptonian?

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Of course other Kryptonians will have superpowers, otherwise it would be a pretty short confrontation with the villains.

I'm not even sure I get why you have to ask. Has there ever been a story where having powers under a yellow sun was Clark specific and not a general kryptonian trait?

And Clark was born naturally? How are the others born? The way I see it Kal-El is just a random kryptonian baby who has extraordinary powers on earth.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Kryptonians are breed in vats/machines/something and in this version, Kal-El is the first one born naturally in hundreds of years - at least that is what Empire and other magazines are stating.

8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Meh, I'm not a fan of that at all. Why do so many writer's insist on making Krypton some crappy, dystopian place with civil wars and stuff?

Making Kal-El the first naturally born kryptonian in hundreds of years is a stupid idea in my opinion, it makes him special even on Krypton itself. I would prefer if he had been just another guy if Krypton was never destroyed. Some kind of Jesus Kryptonchrist who was born without his parents ever touching the baby-o-matic is not what I want the character to be.

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The messianic aspect of Superman has always been part of the Superman mythos.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't remember any version - comics or otherwise where he is just 'another' guy - he is always the son of one of the most famous scientists who is saved because of the special foresight of said famous scientist.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

If they are doing some new things with his birth I am alright with that. We got to change up the familiar story a little bit.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Christ allegory is kind of unavoidable with this character, considering what his origin story is.

Although I get the sense from the trailers that they're downplaying that a bit from the Donner movies, and making him more of just a regular, down to earth guy who only reluctantly become a hero. Unlike Reeve's Superman who seemed to be headed in that direction from the very start.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We even see a quick shot of Zod and Superman flying into each other in the trailer. So that right there would prove pretty clearly that at least Zod has powers. And I don't see why his followers wouldn't if he did.
    [​IMG]

14. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not really, that element only really sprang up after the Donner flicks. Prior, he was the thirties aggressive champion of the poor who fought wife beaters, child abusers and so on. Then the forties and fifties he was the smiling patriot( that's when the famous slogan "Truth, justice and the American way!" popped up) that wasn't afraid to choke fuhrer Hitler to the silver age's overpowered asshole who wasn't afraid to give Lois a spankin.' and could hold multiple planets. He's been through a long metamorphism, and the "extraterrestrial Christ" figure was an interpretation that was seeded and grew from the influence of the Donner movies. The hope and inspiration aspect of Superman has always been a cornerstone of the Superman mythos.

15. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone else find it strange we have never seen any footage, leaked or otherwise, of Clark wearing glasses. Are they maybe doing away with the disguise? Or are they maybe going with the reverse of what Smallville did, and Daily Planet Clark isn't formed until the very end of the film?

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That would be similar to John Byrne did in the miniseries of the same name. He first used his powers publicly in street clothes without glasses. Lois named him Superman in the Daily Planet. Clark and his parents create the costume and glasses disguise. He appeared in a costume a number of times. Than finally Clark Kent in glasses shows up at the Daily Planet with an interview with Superman. Thats how he was hired.

The movie seems to be using a lot of that as inspiration. Main difference is the suit being Kryptonian. In this films had been following reports of a mysterious "Guardian Angel" for years. That Clark was traveling the world and secretly helping people, before in costume, is right from John Byrne. There was references to this in the L&C Pilot too.

17. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's what I'm thinking.

I have no idea how they would work it in, but I'd think that by the end of the movie Clark wants to stay close to Lois. Taking on a "disguise" and working at the Planet would accomplish that.

18. Dick Whitman

That is the essence of character. He wants to have a normal life too.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm actually kind of hoping they turn the Clark & Lois relationship on its head and have Lois be the one to tell him that he needs a disguise to help live a normal life rather than Supermanning 24/7. I would much prefer them starting out with her knowing his whole story, I'm totally over the "hiding his secret from her" routine.

20. Dick Whitman

Thats not new, it would be ripping off Smallville. Which is the last place I hope it looked for ideas.