TOS in the 29th century...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Mar 24, 2014.

1. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking so good! :D Fantastic work Warped9!!!!

Cant wait to see more! :)

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I am thinking of adding a few more details, but then it's on to the service bay under the flight deck.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I might go back to do extra details on the flight deck. But for now here is the below deck shuttlecraft service bay taking shape. Its unusual shape is dictated by the shape of the ship's exterior fantail. The service bay's ceiling is 16 ft. and there is sufficient space to accommodate two shuttlecraft, one on either side of the turntable/elevator. What could extend further aft into the fantail and directly under the flight deck airlock? I would speculate it would be airlock and hangar machinery as well as possible storage for extra parts and supplies for the shuttlecraft themselves. I'm also envisioning a port and starboard side gangway to descend to the service bay from the flight deck level.

[​IMG]

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A little more progress. the added level can house shuttlecraft parts and supplies as well as the aft most section housing the hangar/airlock machinery. I'm pondering different ideas regarding the lift system for the turntable/elevator. Note the recess in the service bay floor for when the platform is lowered.

[​IMG]

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There is a thought that occurs to me. And maybe somewone can offer some insight on it.

When the turntable/elevator (T/E) lowers to the shuttlecraft service bay (SSB) the T/E platform stops within a recessed cavity in the deck so that you have an even surace with the SSB floor to allow ease of movement for a shuttlecraft off or onto the platform. When the platform rises back to its default position level with the above flight deck (to complete the floor of the flight deck) it leaves a big hole in the floor of the SSB. That's a potential safety hazard if someone is momentarily inattentive and walks over the edge into the recession in the floor.

Would it not be possible for some sort of platform, perhaps spring actuated, the rises from the bottom of the cavity to be level with the floor of the SSB when the T/E platform is in the raised position? When the T/E platform is lowered the SSB platform recesses into the bottom of the cavity to allow room for the T/E platform. The lower platform could look like a large donut with the T/E lift shaft rising up through the middle of it.

These are the two basic ideas I had for the T/E system. The red outlines mark the T/E lift itself while the green litline marks the lower SSB platform that recesses when the T/E is lowered.

[​IMG]

Or maybe someone has another idea?

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  6. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

Well you can have a second platform attached to the lower part of the elevator that becomes level with the SSB when it is raised. And when the elevator is lowered have a door close where the elevator was so someone in the shuttlebay doesn't fall down.

7. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Or you could just assume people will be careful and not trip over the step. This is what yellow and black striped tape is for.

--Alex

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A door or two sliding panels would be a simple solution.

Of course, this is the simplest and least complicated solution.

Does anyone know how it's done on those helicarriers or those old carriers where a platform was in the middle of a flight deck as opposed to on the sides as on modern carriers?

9. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Yeah, that's rather similar to what I initially envisioned.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The T/E platform is in the lowered position only long enough for a shuttlecraft to be lowered and removed from the platform then it is immediately returned to its default position as part of the flight deck floor. Down below it looks as if there's simply a shaft sticking up through a hole in the SSB floor. When the T/E platform descends a circular section of the SSB floor directly beneath simply recesses enough for the T/E platform to become flush with the lower deck. It stays like this only long enough for the shuttlecraft to be removed or for a vehicle to be loaded onto the platform.

Above, when the T/E platform is lowered warning lights in the floor (which I'll add) flash in conjunction with a distinctive alarm during the operation to warn everyone present on the flight deck to keep away from the huge hole presently in the floor.

The T/E platform can rotate with or without a craft on it in either its raised or lowered position.

With a society that commands science like antigravity and gravity manipulation a lift shaft or rail needs only to be utilized primarily as a guide rather than bearing the entire load. Of course the shaft or rail also serves as a safety mechanism should the antigrav fail.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'll post some more images soon. But something else has been percolating in the back of my mind.

The standard Class 9 shuttlecraft can be more than just a backup/alternative to the transporter. They can become a significant extension of the starship's operations.

The Class 9 shuttlecraft are small starships in their own right. If the mothership can do Warp 9 or 10 (for example since I haven't established those specs yet) the shuttlecraft can do Warp 5 or 6. They have an impressive range of operation for their size. While exploring/surveying a new region of space or a new star system shuttlecraft can be dispatched to increase the area surveyed simultaneously (the TOS shuttlecraft could have been utilized much the same way, but we never saw it depicted that way). It can be somewhat analogous to an aircraft carrier deploying reconnaissance aircraft. Small automated probes could be deployed in similar fashion.

Another thought. On my design there is an odd shaped indentation on the top of the craft. At the time I added it primarily because I liked the added detailing and thought it looked interesting. But on further reflection this could be where additional equipment could be mounted externally. One could mount a sophisticated sensor probe array to enhance the crafts sensing and analytical capabilities. One could also mount a form of weapons array such as compact phaser turret should the shuttlecraft need to operate within a threat area. That in conjunction with comparatively high speed and maneuverability should greatly enhance the craft's chances of survival in hazardous situations.

This also makes sense considering the backstory for this reboot where the Federation is only a few decades out of a major war. Even given the progressive mindset of exploring for sake of knowledge this Starfleet is still mindful of how dangerous deep space can be.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Here's a look at what this all looks like when the hangar facilities are in place. I think I got it to work without any major mistakes and no further fudging required.

Click on the thumbnail.

[​IMG]

I also think that if multiple shuttlecraft needed to be launched in rapid deployment or retreived in the shortest possible time then they could exit or land right through the airlock forcefield without the need to repeatedly shut the bay doors and pressurize the airlock. Or one could evacuate the flight deck and depressurize the entire flight deck and not need the airlock forcefield. This would be done only under emergency situations.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now, in case the case of forcefield malfunctions, having a collapsible accordion like tube that reaches from the back wall to the shuttle door limits the amount of air the shuttlebay has to have.

I might also have power conduits/umbilicals leading from shuttles to the ship so one can feed from the other in case of emergencies.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Here's a quick early look at the evolving Shuttlecraft Service Bay. I've gone with the rail system to lower and lift the turntable/elevator platform. The SSB fdeck has a circular section to complete the floor yet this section retracts downward when the turntable/elevator is lowered to bring a craft down into the service bay or to return one back to the flight deck. You can see I still haven't added any lights or other detailing yet beyond a couple of doors.

[​IMG]

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've been giving a passing thought to how the shuttlecraft are moved about the flight and the service bay below. It's possible a tractor beam type system could be built into the ceiling and/or floor. Another possibility is a form of smallish dolly, either antigrav or even wheeled, capable of lifting the shuttlecraft sufficiently to move it about the deck. it could be operated remotely or it could even operate in similar fashion as the park assist systems now becoming available on cars. All the operator would have to do is input where he wants the shuttlecraft parked and the automated dolly does the rest. The dolly could be stored right behind that big yellow door at the forward end of the flight deck.

Another possibility is the shuttlecraft's own antigrav hovering system could be remotely controled to move the craft about the deck. I think this could be used when a craft is leaving or entering the airlock. Otherwise the dolly would be used (which would also be required if the shuttlecraft is inoperable for some reason).

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't believe the older carriers had any such safety measures, but on newer carriers, there are posts with a steel rope that pop up out of the deck to provide a safety rail.

Here's a few pictures:
    pic1
    pic2
    pic3

I found those on this page: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Aircraft_elevators

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Incremental progress. All the gangways are in for access to every level. Most of the doors are in, too, except for those to the hangar machinery room which I haven't partitioned yet. The markings are on the service bay floor and I've moved a shuttlecraft below to get a feel for it. What else remains to be done are lights for the service bay as well as a few fixture details for the service bay as well as flight deck.

[​IMG]

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Some details still to be added, but otherwise a quiet time in the service bay except for a systems' check on shuttlecraft Armstrong.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  20. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Still seems awfully dark. If I was the Deck Chief, I'd have 'em turn up the lights... at least by 300%.

--Alex