Rewatchign Chuck and....

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Othello, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

while I still love the show (just finished season 3) man did I REALLY get annoyed even more this time around with his whininess, neediness, and clinginess in the first couple seasons. And the end of season 3 REALLY annoyed/annoys me cause they took Shaw's focus away from Sarah and put it on Chuck even though Sarah had killed his wife. The guy WAS A TOTAL straight shooter do gooder CIA type who went to The Ring only because Sarah killed his wife during her red test, which Sarah implies may not have been legit, and then he virtually ignores her and focuses on Chuck. Drives me up the wall.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, Chuck's character has never bothered me.

Shaw was certainly pushed over the edge by learning that Sarah, and by extension the CIA (his employers at the time) had killed his wife. But then Chuck kind of... you know... shot him three times in the chest and left him for dead. I have little trouble believing that Chuck would shoot up his kill list after that.

Plus he did tell Sarah, "I'm going to kill [Chuck], and I wouldn't mind killing you too," so she was still on his hit list, even more so in his final appearance on the series.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think Shaw's motivation made perfect sense. He wanted Sarah to grieve the way he had, so going after Chuck was reasonable. Plus, the whole shooting him on the bridge thing probably ticked him off just a tad....

Some of Chuck's neediness is a bit annoying after awhile and the whole will they/won't they commitment issues do get repetitive, but the way all the characters interacted was what made Chuck special. Yes, the show got stuck in a rut from time to time but the Buy More crew, Casey, The General, Ellie & Awesome and even annoying Morgan made the show really enjoyable. For me, anyway.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This reminds me that I still haven't seen the final season! I bought it on Blu-Ray months ago, and it's just been sitting around. I should get on that.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Most of my knowledge of Chuck was from the first and second seasons. I always liked the show but always had a conflict when it was on.

I liked the show a lot. It was a sort of campy fun type show like Monk but it was always clever and it managed to get you emotionally interested in the characters.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And even though sometimes the middle of the seasons were tedious, it always had really kickass season finales.

7. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you JEFFSTER!

Love the energy they give it. A damn good cover.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTh6-WTpW_E[/yt]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Mr Roboto is still the coolest thing produced by the show, 'nuff said.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That was my take on it as well. By Killing Chuck he wanted Sarah to feel how he did after his wife was killed.

You could always add, that by threating to kill her at somepoint as well, she would always be looking over her shoulder for him.

So he was after the emotional pain he could her. This partial quote from TWOK might serve to illustrate

"I'll do far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on... hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me."

10. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watch Chuck front to back a lot. It's kinda my default background thing while I'm doing other stuff.

You have to put yourself in Chuck's place. There he was, in a dead end job he was completely comfortable with, and all of a sudden he's got the Intersect and is the target of all sorts of spy mischief. He's never been around this kind of thing and is completely blindsided by it. I tend to think that we'd all be just a little whiny in that situation.

Add to that the fact that he has to live with his sister and Captain Awesome.

But watch him grow through the first two seasons, to the point where he finds Bryce dying. Instead of destroying the new Intersect, like he would have done earlier in the series, he mans up and downloads it.

"Guys, I know Kung Fu."

Everything he does from that point on is complicated by the fact that he has a huge heart. He knows Sarah is in love with him, and she knows it too, but she won't say it. The back and forth is just the struggle some of us have actually gone through to get to where we know we're supposed to be. Every time they almost get together, then break up, it's because of the job. That's why when they finally do get together they decide to quit and run away.

I don't like the Shaw storyline, probably because I don't like Brandon Routh. He's not much of an actor, IMO.

Season 4 is probably my favorite. Alexei Volkoff is hilarious. He is so all over the place, it only makes sense that he was an Intersect creation.

I think they wasted the first half of the last season. The Sarah arc could have stretched through all 13 episodes, and the ending could have been resolved better.

But hey, Jeffster got a great sendoff after their performance of Take On Me. ;)

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked this one-off intro from the bullet train episode...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=D4Bvr6BEqTw[/yt]

I wonder why they did that.

12. marksound

Maybe because that episode started the big arc leading up to the finale.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this bit
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlK8lS6TrmE[/yt]

14. marksound

Chuck vs Missile Command, Sarah vs Robau ...

I bet if Casey had Vera handy he could have taken down that satellite all by himself. :lol:

15. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

A fair interpretation that I have no problems with. And the Khan reference is awesome. (man he was great in that movie) Still love the show just watching so many episodes right in a row probably skews things a bit.. plus I always love a good bad guy.