If you could own a shuttle, which one would it be?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Abbynormal, Oct 27, 2012.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I have to be confined to one, it would be a runabout. Roomy and comfortable. I can't believe that Scotty spent too much time in that flying box that Picard gave him.

2. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where was the toilet in Scottie's shuttle?

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^At his age, Depends.

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my fanwank ships is so big, it carries modified Defiant-class Starships as shuttles. So, one of those. ;)

But if selecting from canon, I agree with TiberiusMaximus: Senator Vreenak's shuttle.

5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah fanwank...good times.

For multiple reasons, including nostalgia, I'd go for a Type 7. Runabouts are out because I don't think of them as shuttles. Plus they're too busy with retro greebles and things.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Runabout Danube/Yellowstone class or Argo.

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it has to be a runabout I think.

8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Nova Waverider if you allow aux craft.

9. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Runabout. It's basically a small ship with quarters and a dining room unlike the standard shuttles we see in TNG.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I also add my vote for a runabout. And I'd put holo emitters in the aft cabin.

11. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

Runabouts are just fantastic. One of the best ships starfleet designed imo.

12. Tiberius

As long as it's the Rio Grande...

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Contrary to popular belief TNG blew up the most shuttles. Voyager being second. DS9 was relatively safe in 3rd. Might not have been even 3rd if TOS or ENT ran a full seven years.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As interesting as that is, I think the point was that Rio Grande was the only runabout on DS9 to never crash or get destroyed.

15. Tiberius

What is the order if we take the average number of shuttles lost per season?

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

erm didin't the Rio Grande crash in the "The Ascent"?

But on average they lost one Runabout per year. As 3 where only ever stationed at DSN they lost an average of 33% of them per year. Hardly a stellar safety record.

17. Tiberius

Yes, but they salvaged it and we saw it afterwards. It ws later used as part of the station's defence in "By Inferno's Light", Sisko took it back to Earth at the beginning of Season 7, and then to Tyree. Odo and the nice Weyound used it in "Treachery, Faith and the Great River" before we saw it as the runabout Sisko took to go to Bajor to face Dukat in the fire caves in final episode.

But given that that depends on them having a small group of runabouts, I think it unfairly distorts the results. If the exact same thing happened and they only had 20 runabouts there instead of 3, then they'd have lost 50% - even though the total number and frequency of runabouts lost stays the same.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^I know that they salvaged it, but I was pointing out that it did crash.

And I think you mean 2 not 20.

19. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

This.... and an EMH equipped Sickpod for emergencies.

Runabouts were modular, so all 4 of the cabin areas could be swapped out for mission specific things. A holo med pod wouldnt be out of conceivability.

20. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure why you'd need a dedicated med pod if you've converted one of the cabins into a mini holodeck - you just just simulate the sickbay in there whenever needed.

I'm also not sure the computer in a runabout would be powerful enough to run the Doctor - the implication on Voyager (I feel so dirty right now using that as a reference, but oh well) was that he was unable to leave the ship at all, except to another full starship, until he got that far future-tech holoemitter. Unless, of course, those are the type of holoemitters we're talking about. Then, no problem. ;)

One problem you probably wouldn't have is diverting enough power to run it - in the real universe, you're likely to VERY rarely need phasers or more than minimal shields. Only on the rare occasions where you need to keep a meteorite from hitting Earth er sumtin.