Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Bionic Woman? Isis? Charlie's Angels?

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Bionic Woman..Isis...Electro Woman and Dyna Girl?

ETA: LOL, I see Nerys Mike had the same idea :alienblush:

3. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WB and DC is being managed by idiots, sure there are lots at Marvel, Fox etc but the ones at WB/DC have totally mismanaged projects and wasted millions on turkeys

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Literally? Where are all these turkeys?

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You ate one for thanksgiving?

6. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bryan's angsty Superman, ok it actually made money but it took a long, long while with an over bloated production budget of $310 million, One of the most EXPENSIVE movies of all time

Constantine would have flopped if not for dvd release and foreign theater sales The Spirit, awful....not exactly DC... comic fits into their Vertigo/Wildstorm cousin companies

Catwoman bombed, a box office turkey

Hex a turkey, got Megan Fox for eye candy but considered one of the worst movies released in 2010. Another turkey

Green Lantern a financial flop, cost WB and DC Millions of bucks

Wonder Woman tv show, badly managed, never gets to see the light of day

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Figuratively (not literally) these were turkeys.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Of course, then there's Batman... and the animated direct to DVD... and the TV shows... those all have done well.

9. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds a bit misleading, as we all know $310 million wasn't used by Superman Returns.

It was used by Superman Reborn, Superman Lives, Superman: The Man of Steel, Superman: Flyby, etc etc.

It really isn't fair to mention Singer with that budget.

But it really does help to illustrate the point WB has NO clue what they're doing. They had huge names in film making attached to those movies at one time or another and had no idea what to do with any of it.

10. Guy Gardener

`They already made the perfect Superman movie back in 1979, anything after that would be redundant and redundant.

11. Professor Zoom

It might not be fair but it was the reality for that film.

I, for one, recognize that the WB DID know what they were doing when they killed Burton/Cage's Superman.

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Agree with the first half.

13. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Woman Wonder is terrifying.
    Although I saw a cat calendar the other day and one of the cats was dressed as Woman Wonder. It was so appropriate, she should have been a cat from day 1!

14. Guy Gardener

Streaky the Wonder Cat, actually hung out with Supergirl.

15. Aeronef

Aeronef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think this is actually a significant problem. But I also think it can be solved by paying careful attention to the male supporting roles. Since we can't fulfill the usual (male) fantasies, the filmmakers have to find some other fantasy to fulfill.

Now: most guys, at some point in their lives, have crushed on some girl or woman who was way out of their league.

So: we create a male supporting character--a spear carrier who is kind of nerdy, kind of geeky, kind of awkward. Not terribly so, but enough to be noticeable--especially around Wonder Woman.

He is smitten with her, but she doesn't pay much attention to him--at first. He knows his cause is hopeless, but he nonetheless strives to make himself helpful and useful--to be good friend. Gradually, Wonder Woman notices him, and starts to consider him a valuable comrade--even encouraging him to live up to the potential that only she can see.

Then, at a critical moment, he intervenes decisively to rescue or save her--ideally, almost getting himself killed in the process. She then goes on to defeat the villain, save the world, and get all the credit--but Wonder Woman's thanks and respect make her spear-carrier the envy of his (male) peers.

In the end, the boy doesn't get the (super) girl--but he does prove himself a man. And the fantasies of millions of male comic-book readers are fulfilled. If you can work in some kind of Leia-kissing-Luke-to-spite-Han moment, so much the better.

I'm not actually all that familiar with Wonder Woman--I've never read the comic, and my memories of the TV show are dim--so I don't know if there's a character in her supporting cast who could fill this role. But it seems like the most obvious approach.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Supercat.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So essentially you want a Ron Stoppable sidekick type guy to serve as the viewpoint for the audience? Someone that the audience can relate to because clearly the idea of connecting with a woman is just crazy? A man who is actually the true hero of the story who saves Wonder Women during the climatic battle? Really, now? That's what you want?

18. Guy Gardener

Hey! Don't go knocking Ron!

19. Aeronef

Aeronef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Where did I say that's what I wanted?

Please highlight the exact passages in my post that indicated this was what I, personally, wanted.

Oh, wait--that's right: there are no such passages. You invented this misinterpretation out of thin air. Got it.

Now, I know you don't really care about my opinion--if you did, you would have made a greater effort to understand what that opinion was. (And you wouldn't have simply dismissed it as "lots of stuff") But for what it's worth, you've just made a complete fool out of yourself in my eyes.

And, instead of just heaping my scorn on you, the way you did to me, I'm actually going to answer your questions.

Until I read your post, I didn't give two fucks about Wonder Woman, or if a Wonder Woman movie ever got made, or not. Whether they made the movie I described, or some other movie, or no movie at all, was all the same to me. I was merely trying to think of a way to get past the sort of reluctance that the other poster was describing.

It was all the same to me--until I read your post. I've recently been reading a work of eighteenth-century philosophy with one of our graduate students--De L'Esprit by Claude-Adrien Helvetius--and I was struck by a section in which he argues that it's impossible for people to remain indifferent to things for long. Unless they discover a reason to like them, their indifference will quickly turn to hostility. That seems quite true to me.

In this case--I was indifferent to the prospect of a Wonder Woman movie. Now, I'm not.

Instead, I find myself hoping it never gets made--or, if it is, that it's made exactly the way I described--just to spite you.

So, in answer to your questions:

--yes, that is what I want now;

--yes, really;

--yes, that's what I want, for the reasons I outlined above.

20. Professor Zoom

Lol. Internet rage is a funny thing. I guess from your lips to Gos ears...