"Agent Carter" season one discussion and spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The impression I get is they'll do as much as they're allowed to do. The talk from everyone involved showed they definitely would like to continue it (the original talk was a complete story covering a different year, recently Hayley Atwell talked about having the story cover a more expansive period of time). But it's obviously not their call. I remember when it was being developed, everyone was saying the right things, but it seemed a little dicey whether it would get greenlit.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having Tommy Lee Jones show up would be a bonus. Whether that'll happen will depend on whether or not there's a second season. No?

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here is an interesting interview with Hayley Atwell at IGN. Is this what you saw?

My favorite bit...

First off, it shows there is interest from both Marvel and Hayley Atwell in continuing on to multiple seasons.

Second, I like the idea of each season jumping forward to a different era in Peggy's life-- sort of Peggy filling in the blanks in the years between WW2 and the present in the MCU. "It's all connected". We already know that season one will have a connection to Iron Man 2 in the form of Anton Vanko, what other connections can future seasons bring?

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

She could investigate the disappearance of a young boy after the death of his mother in the eighties?

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's fine. I'm sure they will tie it in implicitly with SHIELD (and/or the movies).

Yeah, I'm surprised they got it made at all. And with the ratings for SHIELD not being that great, I'm sure the prospects for a second season are even dicier.

7. Alidar Jarok

Ratings for Agents of SHIELD are perfectly fine, particularly the time adjusted ratings (which in some weeks are nearly double). In addition, the ratings for the key demos have always been strong.

Timelord Victorious, that particular idea seems a bit excessive, but I'd love them to reach the 50s and 60s and maybe have some young Ant-Man on it.

8. Turtletrekker

Yeah, people tend to forget (or perhaps never realized) that after taking DVRs, Hulu and other streaming sources into account, season one was the fifth most watched show on broadcast television of the season*. Overnight numbers don't mean nearly as much as they once did.

*Source: Variety. Not going to dig up the link unless it becomes an issue.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  9. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if they'll feel confined to keeping possible future Agent Carter seasons in winter, or if they might consider using it as a summer fill-in too.

Why limit themselves to 9 months when they can go for all 12?

Two days away!

10. Alidar Jarok

I doubt they'd go twice a year - particularly since summer viewing declines anyway. The summer is for the movies anyway.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Only if someone saw that young boy get sucked up into a wicked-looking spaceship via a lightbeam!

:p

12. RJDiogenes

Okay, that's good. A friend of mine posts ratings on another board, and it seems like there was a huge drop off in season one and steady erosion in season two. I've been worried about renewal for season three.

13. Alidar Jarok

There was. But it started unsustainably high. It's been relatively consistent recently (rather than a steady decline), although it was declining slightly for the most part.

14. Turtletrekker

How Captain America will be a part of Agent Carter...
    Drawing from the Golden Age of Radio, “The Captain American Adventure Hour” details Cap’s heroic adventures fighting Nazis and saving his dame, Betty Carver, a.k.a. Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell).

“It’s the bane of Peggy’s existence because you have the Peggy character on the show, Betty Carver, and she’s played by this actress who does a soft Marilyn Monroe voice and she’s always in jeopardy,” executive producer Michele Fazekas says. “If someone has a radio on, you’ll sometimes hear it, and it’s like, ‘Oh my God, can you please turn that off?’ It’s just fun and a great little window into that time period.”

:lol:

15. RJDiogenes

Cool. That gets my hopes up for a season three.

16. Turtletrekker

Tonight's the night!:techman::cool:

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't wait!

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Shield won't exist during Agent Carter, right? Though she was the first Shield agent, Coulson in Iron Man 1 made it sound like Shield was only recently created. I wonder if she'll get inducted as the first, as a tribute to her service, after her run is complete with SSR.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The Agent Carter short film ended with Howard Stark assigning Peggy to found SHIELD and be its first director. Evidently this season of the series will take place before the short film.

20. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure SHIELD's existence is going to be retconned in Agent Carter. And I really don't care about that. The Strategic Homeland long-ass name was just a gimmick/joke in the first Iron Man movie.