TOS in the 29th century...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Mar 24, 2014.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks real nice in those renders! I admit this is starting to grow on me a bit.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

If I were starting from scratch again I think there's something I would do differently for the forward part of the secondary hull. But presently I'm much too far along to make any such drastic changes. Maybe should I revisit this design.

The change I have in mind isn't hugely drastic in itself, but it could potentially mean remaking the entire secondary hull. And that's more work than I'm willing to redo at this point.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Presently I'm designing the detail for a few things. One is the added detail for the upper and lower saucer main phaser arrays. Then there is the aft phaser array that fits under the fantail. There is also an additional docking port on each side of the secondary hull aft of the Starfleet pennant. I'm also considering a touch of something on the warp nacelles. And finally maybe just a little something subtle here and there.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Doing details on these models can be a challenge. Not so much how the detail components are fashioned, but in the execution. There is, of course, the level or amount of detail which can be largely dependent on what overall effect or aesthetic you're going for. But there's also the question of the degree of detailing--how accurate one is willing to be.

A small example: windows. with only a couple of exceptions every window on this model has rounded corners. Now from a reasonable distance this could be considered obsessive because who would notice something like that on a model that will probably never be animated or seen beyond a few online? But for those times I might show a view closer to the model I think that kind of detail could become apparent.

There's also a question of accuracy. In some cases (such as my four docking ports) the dimensions might be just a bit too big or two exaggerrated simply so the detail will show up on the model from a reasonable distance. Perhaps on a real vehicle that wouldn't even show at a distance. But like a plastic model kit sometimes some details can be exaggerrated just a little to make them visible.

This issue, seques back to the gridlines etched into the Round2 1/350 E model kit as well as the efforts of some modellers previously to add gridlines (often overly done) onto their builds. We are talking about a level of detail that in all practically respects shouldn't be realy visible unless seen really up close on an actual vessel or a very large scale model. Note that even on the 8ft. TMP refit miniature the gridlines were rather fine and visible only when the light hit the surface at just the right angle. This is where I really draw the line at how much detail I'm willing to put on a model. I'm not arguing the lines aren't there, but they shouldn't be visible unless the POV is really up close and/ under certain lighting conditions.

For my own models I choose not to even attempt showing that level of detail for the simple reason that under the circumstances which I will most likely display my models that kind of detail shouldn't be at all visible.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The thing I'm weighing now is whether to add a few more windows. To help me decide that I'm starting to play around with lighting to see how it all works. One thing not right is the colour of the nacelle caps. They look nice static, but lighted they're not the colour I want--they're coming out too yellow and they should be more orange like.

Preliminary lighting test. Needs to be tweaked.

[​IMG]

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is a better lighting effort. I've turned the nacelle caps off until I find a solution I like. It doesn't look like I can light them quite the way I envisioned with SketchUp and Maxwell. Actually I rather like the look of the nacelle caps unlighted.

[​IMG]

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Sorry, this just doesn't do it for me. I feel the same about it as I do the JJ-prise.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Oh, well. I'm not out to please everyone anyway. Besides, I've gotten enough positive response elsewhere.

11. Soran77

Soran77 Captain Captain

Love the last render!!

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

One element of the original concept was to have the hull slightly different tones of the same colour that in appearance might suggest a different kind of construction. If you look at the original drawing you can see what I'm suggesting as there are curving or ovoid like lines that suggest seams, but the lines are curved (rather than grid like) to suggest separate components merged together. I hadn't added that final detail yet because I was still weighing it. But myabe I should try it to see what it would look like. It needn't be a permanent change if I don't like it.

Of course, recently, I've also been thinking on actually starting over and pushing the design a bit further and more exotic while still retaining a hint of original MJ attributes. :D

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Some subtle changes. I've added a few more windows amd small details. I've also added some two=tone effect to the hull. It's subtle and is apparent mostly when the lighting angle is just right. In other shots it's almost invisible. It's more apparent on the secondary hull and nacelles than it is on the saucer where the changes in tone are separated by sections rather than lines on a plain surface, but it is there nonteheless. I could increase the differences in tone a bit to make it a little more visible, but I rather like the subtlety as is. If one is going to do line work on a design than this is the approach I prefer.

[​IMG]

At this point I'm now weighing whether to play with some interiors or move on to the shuttlecraft design. Hmm...

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Great and innovative design, looks interesting from various angles and IMHO much better than nuTrek's Enterprise.

Now, I only wished I had forgotten Annie's podracer from the first SW prequel because the nacelles remind me too much of it. But here the nacelles match the overall design philosophy.

Bob

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I appreciate anyone who has the balls to attempt what Warped9 has here and put it out for everyone to see.

But the design itself? It feels like what the Enterprise would look like if it showed up on an episode of The Jetsons.

16. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like retro-futurism so that's a plus for me. I think the bussards would look better if they were not yellow.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That needs to be tweaked. They're supposed to be more gold, and they look that way in SketchUp, but when you render it with a light source shining on them they look yellow. I'm not done tweaking most of the coulours, but then everything would look darker overall with less intense light.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

What you see here is the beginning of laying out decks. I can't say how detailed this might get, but it should serve to establish where certain sections are located throughout the ship.

[​IMG]

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Now this is quite preliminary, but it represents the first steps of planning how the ship is layed out. The two decks high rectangukar space at the centre of the secondary hull is meant to represent Main Engineering, for now anyway. Because of the width of the dorsal Main Engineering could also be located right under the impulse drive. You can also easily make it where the Bridge is meant to be, the fore and aft torpedo launchers and the shuttlecraft flight deck as well as the maintenance deck beneath it. The sizes of sections presently visible are approximate at this point. Also it's apparent I haven't shown any turbolift shafts yet.

The average ceiling is 8ft. Some parts look like very low or tight decks, but those aren't actually decks, but space for systems and mechanicals and stuff.

There is a small faint vertical line just forward of the Bridge deck superstructure. It represents a 6ft. tall person for sake of comparison.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to lay out each deck in detail. Firstly that would get very involved and I don't think I could think everything out thoroughly enough to be credible.

This cross-section will be largely representational and to some degree fluid for the sake of future creativity. What I want to do is use the description given in TMOST as a general guideline going forward. From that, my own perspective and feedback from others here I can establish where certain specific things are: officers quarters, main lounges (I'm sure there would be smaller ones as well throughout the ship), Sickbay, main transporter rooms as well as bulk cargo/evacuation transporters, Main Engineering, the Bridge and Auxiliary Control, Shuttlecraft Flight Deck and Maintenance deck, fore and aft photon torpedo launchers, ship's phaser arrays (3), navigational deflectors and main sensor arrays. Maybe some other things. The rest of the layout will be more vague in terms of description.

One thing that needs to be established is the nature of the engineering layout. The choices are between the TOS template and the TMP/TNG template. Having large energy conduits running up to the impulse drive as well as the warp units cuts into a lot of space. How and where is main power generated? How is delivered?

Two past problems are avoided with this design. The torpedo launchers are well clear of any main power conduits unlike that of the TMP refit. Also because of the width of the secondary hull the hangar doesn't intrude into the space where the pylons are fastened to the secondary hull.

The Bridge, Main Engineering and the shuttlecraft hangar facilities need to be designed in more detail to fit them properly in place. And the hangar area can't really be done in much detail until I actually finalize the shuttlecraft.

Last edited: May 27, 2014