Captain of the next Trek series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by USS Triumphant, Dec 28, 2013.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

How about a woman as Captain? That hasn't been done before as the lead of a series, has it? I mean, there was that one series that had some woman who liked to sit in her quarters and sulk for months on end and that was addicted to holodeck romances, but I mean an ACTUAL woman being an ACTUAL captain.

:devil:

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Admiral Alynna Nechayev as a young (and probably hot) thirty something woman, a new Captain on her way up.

Even then a ball breaker.

Set it about twenty-five years before TNG.

:)

3. USS Triumphant

I prefer to go forward to times we haven't seen, rather than backward, but aside from that, I like the way you think. :techman:

4. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

a woman captain yes, but what species, Vulcan, cardasian, bajoran maybe

5. USS Triumphant

Human. As much as I and much of the rest of the fandom might totally love a show with an alien captain, to appeal to the mass audience, I think the main character needs to be human so they can identify well with them. The only way it works otherwise is if one of the other characters is the main human "me-in-the-show" character, like if the main cast were below-decks crew and the bridge crew were seen more rarely - which is something else we haven't had and probably won't, even though some of us would find it interesting.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Might as well go with a transsexual, Klingon/Tholian mix. That way we cover all the bases...

7. Count

Count Commander Red Shirt

I think whatever the gender is, we really need to see the true Starfleet officer appear as the next captain.

Sure we've had the tactician (sisko), the cowboy (kirk), the diplomat (picard), the lunatic (janeway), the bumbling fool (archer) but the one thing we've never actually seen but always heard about is the Clever Starfleet officer.

Supposedly, the best and the brightest graduate from the academy, and the very top are the ones who get the good postings, so why is it that we've never seen an officer who can simply outwit his opponents or negotiate an agreement with nothing but guile and personality alone? No weapons, no equipment, no plan and still come out on top?

Sure in limited ways we've seen Picard pull this off, or Janeway stumble through blindly until it appears she did something smart, but we've never actually seen a clever Starfleet officer, let alone a captain. I don't want to say it simply to have a crossover reference, but we really need a Dr Who like "The Doctor" character to be lead captain on the next trek series and not just have someone who's able to scheme their way to a solution not be crossed off as a racial stereotype like the Ferengi or the Romulans. Intelligence is not a sign of nefarious intention.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a description of Kirk.

:)

9. Dantrek

Dantrek Ensign Red Shirt

As long as its in the prime universe I would be happy. I had hoped for a Captain Riker series on the Titan but I think hes a little long in the tooth for that show and at this point he should be Admiral Riker. A new crew of the Enterprise-E would be nice too. I dont know why the ships have to be constantly destroyed. The original 1701 had 2 Captains prior to Kirk. I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I think his primary interest was in saving money, but it did result in giving the ship some history. :)

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Parminder Nagra.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Captain Molly O'Brien, with Daddy's competence/skills and Mommy's looks and fiery personality played by Yunjim Kim (Or Captain Yoshi could be cool too, played by Daniel Dae Kim :drool:)

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I always kind of imagined that the Enterprise-B was perhaps in service longer than any other starship with the name and had four or five different captains and crews during her time. I also think she was decommissioned rather than destroyed.

But I do think that if Trek returns to TV, it will be with a brand-new ship (with all the latest new technology) unless there's really a conscious effort by its creator(s) for the ship to have some history.

In hindsight, though, if the next ship is the Enterprise and continues the NCC-1701 lineage forward, her history will be all the previous ships with the same name and number. From a certain point of view, every Enterprise that has borne the NCC-1701 registry might be considered the same vessel, continuing a history that began with Kirk's ship.

14. dauntless

dauntless Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Or Bruce Campbell.

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The next woman captain? Harry Kim.

It was bound to come up eventually. :lol:

16. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Might as well make Bilbo Baggins captain -- if you think Harry Kim will ever get promoted you're in the realms of fantasy.

17. USS Triumphant

Or in the realm of TrekLit, where he has made Lieutenant. Or in the episode "Endgame" of Voyager where he was captain of the U.S.S. Rhode Island. Or....

As it happens, I think Martin Freeman would make an interesting choice to play a captain.

:p

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Uh, oh...

I may be mistaken, but Will Decker always seemed the type of officer you're describing. There's no reason why a credible way to return him to normal space can't be concocted.

I've suggested an animated Titan series before, and I think it could work. It would be a nice way to showcase the ship's diverse crew, and the original actors (Frakes, Sirtis) could still be part of it.

Aside from these ideas, I'd love to see a series with an Andorian captain, or maybe a series featuring a captain whom we've met before (like Sam Lavelle from "Lower Decks"), who's risen through the ranks and earned a command of his own after several years of service.

--Sran

19. USS Triumphant

Exactly. :devil: :devil: :devil: ;)

I think an officer *like* Decker might be called for, rather than that actual character, if we're continuing to move Trek forward to after Nemesis (which I would hope we are). Although, if Morgan Bateson has managed to update his training well enough to still have a command during First Contact and beyond, I guess I don't see why that couldn't be true for Decker, too - and it *would* be about bloody time they followed up on V'Ger somewhere, wouldn't it?

Much as I loathe Frakes, I've got to admit I'd watch the heck out of that. I'd prefer it, though, if it were taken seriously and as part of screen canon even though it would be animated, this time, unlike the way TAS was handled.

The triumphant return of Wil Wheaton to Star Trek as *Captain* Wesley Crusher, perhaps? That would actually be great, I think, if they let Wheaton bring some of his real personality into play. :)

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I would say so, as those events aren't mentioned anywhere aside from novels, which aren't canon. The V'Ger incident is referenced indirectly by Jaresh-Inyo in "Homefront" when he mentions that there hadn't been a Starfleet Emergency in nearly a century aside from Wolf 359 and the Borg attack. But it's never mentioned by name, which is surprising. In any case, I wouldn't mind seeing Decker in the captain's chair of a new ship. As Stephen Collins is much older than he was at the time of TMP, this might be another avenue for an animated series.

I agree. TAS had a few episodes that were worthwhile ("Yesteryear"), but some of them were ridiculous and were impossible to take seriously. I think an animated series could do well if the storylines were sophisticated enough that both adults and children would find them interesting.

--Sran