J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by HaplessCrewman, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, recall that she's assigned to Farragut in the first place because of Spock attempting to avoid an appearance of favoritism. Rather than "manipulating him" it's a case of "Remember I'm not just your girlfriend, idiot, I'm also damned talented and I deserve to be on Enterprise."

ETA: Also, no JJ for Doctor Who! But that's because I want it to stay as British as possible in production, especially the directors and producers; I love his work otherwise.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heh. No, resorting to political dodges won't change anything.

Interesting, because he was deliberately portrayed as a delinquent loser by the writers-- that was their purpose in killing off his father. In the original universe, he was a "positively grim" student. He beat the Kobayashi Maru by finding a way to beat the no-win scenario that they hadn't thought of-- nuKirk simply hacked the program and caused the Klingons to blow up for no reason. He was going to be kicked out of the academy for it, not given a commendation for original thinking.

Yup, he was stuck in solitary confinement in some useless job.

Yes, he tried to kill Kirk twice. Premeditated the first time, since he had the option of the brig or confinement to quarters or sick bay, rather than shoot him off alone to crash on a hostile planet.

People often need a light moment after a traumatic experience. That situation is not even slightly analogous.

And, since you're getting so bent out of shape about the whole thing, I really have no interest in going over it all again and again.

3. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

But throughout the new Star Trek films Uhura was exceptional. We had a testimony by Spock of her abilities as a cadet, way before he was burdened by the destruction of Vulcan – and there's no reason to doubt his judgement. We saw her replace the acting communications officer because he was unqualified for the mission. We saw her take on exotic alien languages with ease, at short notice in extremely stressful circumstances. She was seen maintaining composure when other crewmen were losing it, participating in combat, and repeatedly proving she deserves a position on the flagship. That's more credit than TOS episodes have usually given her.

Characterising that as a "bar babe who manipulates superior officers with sex" is painfully unfair.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Women have no business flirting. Oh, she didn't in the bar. Then, getting on Enterprise. Oh, she stood on her credentials. She's too cute.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously what the heck? Where is the Kirk criticism if we are going to start bashing characters for flirting and having sexual relationships? And that's both Kirks, Nu and Prime.

A bar babe, did you even see the movie?

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Well, Pine is a bar babe.

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The romance with Spock is dumb but otherwise NuUhura is an OK character. She's just given far too much focus, which is a bit annoying as just about everybody prefers McCoy and Scotty.

I think the issue we have is that Star Trek has never really been a loud, dumb, adrenaline ride. The writing is now an afterthought, when it used to be the driving force of the series. I actually like the stagey feel of the TV series, and feel uncomfortable seeing Star Trek resemble Bayformers.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Kirk reprogrammed the test to make it possible to save the ship...

Prime Kirk hacked the simulation as well... :rolleyes:

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And McCoy said the board would rule in his favour, allowing him to stay on, most likely a reference to that commendation, only this time the semester was cut short by the Vulcan incident.

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. What happened in Trek '09 with the Kobayashi Maru fits beat-for-beat what was described in The Wrath of Khan.

11. BillJ

"Listen, kiddo, Jim Kirk was many things, but he was never a Boy Scout!" - Carol Marcus

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I actually liked that bit in 09 Trek. Kirk is even eating an apple in the simulation, mirroring the TWOK scene quoted above.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

We see little to nothing of Prime Kirk's past from 2233-2263 so there's a hell of a lot of room for speculation, and from the various things we know about him, he was at least very bright and often getting into some form of trouble.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

At the rate he's going, it's only a matter of time before he remakes the KJV.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Why not, we already have the LCV, which is much better IMO.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that STXI's take on the Kobayashi Maru scenario was that Kirk thought that the Klingon ships were ridiculously and unrealistically overpowered. He therefore felt no shame in making light of destroying the contrivances.

Ya gotta admit: in TWOK, the simulated Enterprise folded like a house of cards under the make-believe Klingon fire. That was something about TWOK that always stuck out to me, from first viewing. In real fights, the TOS Enterprise lasted, shall we say, longer.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

In TWOK, it was said that Kirk reprogrammed the simulation so that it was possible to save the ship and he was given a commendation for original thinking. Given the theme of Kirk always finding a way out (that revelation was punctuated by a sudden reversal of fortune when all seemed hopeless), it would hopefully be assumed that he reprogrammed the simulation with a clever alternative that the programmers hadn't thought of-- he didn't believe in a no-win scenario. In nuTrek, he simply vandalized the simulation. No original thinking, no imagination, no beating the no-win scenario. It's rather disturbing to think that he would be rewarded for doing something so stupid. I'm amazed that anyone thinks this is what happened in the original universe.

Sure, they all had their talents and triumphs, but it doesn't change that most of them were characterized in negative contrast to the originals.

I assume you're talking to me, even though I never bashed characters for flirting and having sexual relationships (this is me, after all :rommie:), but the answer is yes, I did see the first one.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You know what happens when you assume....

19. BillJ

You realize that by reprogramming the scenario, he would know exactly how to beat it? So all he had to do was wait for a certain event that he programmed into the simulation in order to beat it.

Kirk may act like a douche when beating it in the 2009 film, but Prime Kirk had no more issue saving the ship because he knew exactly how the scenario he programmed would play out.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How is reprogramming the simulation not "vandalizing" the computer, hacking the computer, cheating or exactly what NuKirk did? What do you think Kirk did to the computer to win? He rewrote the test to give himself an advantage!