J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by HaplessCrewman, Jun 7, 2013.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding Henry and Forever Young were pretty decent. And the Fringe theme is dandy.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Shiny" takes on a whole new meaning when it's backed by lensflare.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Stargate shows were flashy, fun, and mediocre. They came and went without making a real impact on anything, despite generating an inordinate number of hours of television.

I daresay that Abrams has never made anything as negligible as Stargate.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

And JJ Trek is telling deep stories? They're flashy, mediocre action movies with a little sci fi that don't even impact themselves. Stargate had great stories and memorable characters.

Except Whedon likes story and good characters in most of his stuff, especially if he makes it. I doubt he'd want to see Mal played by the guy from Scott Pilgrim and acting like the bearded guy from the hangover, which is probably what JJ would go with.

5. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he has a deal to develop The Micronauts as a movie, and I'd really, really like to see that happen.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Would love to see a film version of the original 11 issue story arc from the old 80's comic.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The Black Hole. I want him to redo it by filming himself jumping into one and never coming back out.

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Gosh, so much JJ hatred in this place!

9. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And just to be a joyless pedant and kill all the fun, this new project isn't Twilight Zone, and was never intended to be Twilight Zone even when Serling wrote it.

As a rough analogy, it's equiverlent to Abrams having died in a tragic lens flare accident after setting up the pilot script for Fringe but before it had been made... and then years later someone else making it only for everyone to talk about it as if it were a new episode of Lost.

Mind, there is form for someone taking a script Serling wrote and slapping "Twilight Zone" all over it with that "Lost Classics" thing, but I don't think that's going the be the case here.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure that Abrams isn't the only director to give the audience the finger. At least he's honest enough to be photographed doing it.

He's not the first man in Hollywood to be praised as an artist because his movies were profitable, and won't be the last. There's no point in hating him personally. There are some literary policemen chasing down hyperbole too. That's kind of dickish and some of these posts are just feeding their inner Javert.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And it's all oozing out of one person.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Yes, our resident "Mr. Sunshine" Kirk55555.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Ha, but he does come back out - 156 years before he jumped in.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And invents modern Science Fiction!:techman:

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope.

The TZ "revivals" were weak copies trading on the deservedly awesome reputation of Serling's work.

I mean, the "Kennedy" episode? That's the one you picked as the strongest? :eek:

16. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

I actually kinda liked the Ellison segments such as "Shatterday" and "Paladin of the Lost Hour".

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

JJ doing an unproduced Rod Serling screenplay is right up his alley. I'll definitely be looking forward to this project.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

If it's for TV, it may be good-- assuming he hires the right people to do the actual work. His TV stuff, notably Alias and Lost, were pretty good (discounting the weak endings). It's his movie stuff that is lame.

As for Twilight Zone, the first revival was quite good. The second revival was nearly unwatchable. And the movie was pretty much a waste, except for the wonderful opening sequence.

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The original Twilight Zone show scared the shit out of me with its simple concepts.
    The remakes and subsequent shows sucked donkey's balls.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is correct. His movies are beige cookie-cutter blockbuster blandness, but when he lets other people take a more hands-on role then he's not too bad.