Captain of the next Trek series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by USS Triumphant, Dec 28, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Most shows start off with a group of characters that you know nothing about, the aim is to get the audiance to care about these characters as the show progresses.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Similar to the Challenger novel series that takes place following TMP. This idea has promise, particularly if the executive officer is an outsider who's new to a crew that's served under the incumbent commanding officer for several years. The captain's death and the subsequent rise of the first officer to command is an excellent recipe for both external and internal conflict.

Agreed. Audiences can learn to care about new characters as they have previous characters and crews. As long as plotlines and conflicts are introduced properly and not forced, fans will accept a new crew.

--Sran

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Maybe. But this long-time fan is done with the spinoiffs of spinoffs of spinoffs. From here on out, I'm only interested in Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise, the Star Trek source material. Just as I wouldn't be interested in a Sherlock Holmes series about any character other than Sherlock Holmes, or a Superman series not about Superman but some other superhero no one's ever heard of before.

4. Captain Clark Terrell

I must be honest with you in stating that I don't understand why you've posted this response.

--Sran

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand, and I agree. For what it's worth.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'm with Hober Mallow. Another spin-off of a spin-off just doesn't excite me anymore.

Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise is what I want to see on screen. Anything else and I'd rather the resources be used to create a new outer-space sci-fi series.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But is any apathy for another spin-off down to having some lacklustre spin=offs?

In some respects the longer ST is off air as a TV show the better, it might allow the audiance to feel excited again about it, rather than 'O they are doing another Trek show."

At best it'll be another 2 years before Trek returns to the small screen, 2016 is Trek's 50th Anniversary what better year to return to the small scree or announce that a new show is coming, by then it'll have been what a decade since it was off air. Remember another long runnning Sci-Fi show reutnred after a virtual 16 year absence. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

The question is what do we as the audiance want from a TV show.

Engaging characters and stories. A sense of fun and adventure, less technobabble?

8. BillJ

No. I think it just comes down to the simple fact that over the past few years that when I think of Star Trek, I think of Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise. For me, they are Star Trek.

Before the spin-offs came, they were Star Trek. Now that the spin-offs have gone, they are Star Trek. Another Star Trek? I want it to feature Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise.

That is where my heart truly has always been. The spin-offs feel like filler.

9. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

10. Captain Clark Terrell

But does everyone feel that way? I don't question that at least one of the spin-offs was mediocre, but I do wonder if such a thing precludes another series. Revisionist history is a potent commodity. People who bash the spin-offs forget that the third season of Star Trek was also mediocre aside from a few memorable episodes ("The Enterprise Incident," "The Tholian Web"). The perception of TOS has changed with time because people are more fond of the characters that made up that series.

The first season of The Next Generation was also forgettable, and Deep Space 9 didn't pick up until the Dominion was introduced. I would imagine that any new series would have its hiccups. But I also think that Star Trek deserves the chance to move forward and explore new ideas as freely as its characters explored strange new worlds. Kirk and Spock will always be the most recognizable faces of Star Trek, but they need not make up its entire body of work.

--Sran

11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Only one was mediocre. Another one was almost completely awful. :evil: :devil:

But DS9 and TNG were as good as TOS ever was, and I can't understand the attitude, either. Bring on a series to run parallel with the current movies featuring a young nuCaptain Bateson and a nuBozeman (or whatever ship he'd be given in the nuVerse), is what I'd say, write it well and keep it true to the spirit of Trek, and let's do this thing. Make it so. ;)

12. BillJ

I'm more fond of Kirk and Spock and always have been. I'm sure nostalgia plays a part in it but it isn't the only reason.

With Berman Trek, we got increasing dull characters, characters who frequently looked down on other cultures because they weren't like humans (I still shake my head over Picard's reprimand of Worf in regards to Duras) and a really odd morality promoting that it was better to allow entire civilizations to die in some odd idea that it's better that they die than see someone more advanced and that because your explorers it gives you a right to trample over others borders.

In TOS, we saw characters that learned that many times their first read on a situation wasn't the right one and they learned from it. During the Berman-era, it seemed like we were the only cultured species out there and we were out there to teach everyone how great we are.

For me, the Berman-era series have aged poorly. I'm not everyone nor do I profess to be. But we already have six-hundred hours of "other Trek" and less than a hundred of Kirk and Spock. I'm one that thinks the core of Trek needs to be explored again. YMMV.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

TOS was my first love in Star Trek, so I can understand where you're coming from in terms of wanting to get back to the ideas and values of that era. I would like to see more of how the rest of the Federation functioned during the twenty third century, as TOS offered only brief glimpses of other ships and crews- both during the TV series and the films.

I wouldn't mind seeing a series set during the five-year mission but would be interested in seeing another crew chronicled in parallel to the adventures the Enterprise was having. Further exploration of the careers of people like Willard Decker, Clark Terrell, Thelin th'Valrass, Morgan Bateson (pre-TNG), and others would interest me. I don't advocate having them all on the same ship (it's not practical), but a series that features a few of them could work.

--Sran

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The spin-offs gave us some great characters and memorable stories, so it doesn't all have to be about TOS. Going by what they've done to Kirk and Co now, I would shudder to think about how bad a TV series on the NuTrek characters could be.

If the PTB decided to go back to TOS, I would feel happier about a full reboot rather than just messing with timelines. Make more impactful changes and alterations to characters and universe as a whole.

15. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

New on CBS, Star Trek - but not the star trek you think Series 1!

Featuring an all new crew! Played by a corporate PR friendly multi-ethnic cast that you don't give damn about that you be praying by series 4 for some special guest appearances from well loved peripheral characters from the original star trek series to inject some panache in between reused CGI rendered space battles and tractor beam tugging space garbage footage.

Follow the adventures of the Starship Valangeraliant shoot her way out of trouble (and from any mathematical possibility of a quality storyline) from the evil pastry foreheaded alien of the week with the latest fanwank type-XX phaser banks and escape destruction by being yet the latest fastest ship of the fleet.

Experience romance and comedy, an alien doctor played by <insert clownish loveable TV actor> making inverse racist & condescending quips each week with our loveable but not so bright blue collar all-american act first think later helmsman, who also is trying to bone the intelligent science officer and by series 3 he succeeds in a brief romantic moment in some obligatory abstract holodeck episode.

Klingons! Blood honor, blood wine and dramatic cookie monster style banter between our battle hardened captain and tactical officer who for no likely reason possesses superior bat'leth and hand-to-hand combat skills than our gagh eating alien friends (or are they foes?) - heck, dont miss the episode where the captain of the Valangeraliant wins a gagh eating contest on Kronos to prove how tough and honorable he is.

You have it all, an all round cast with nothing to say, a ship that does more shooting than it does exploring, and action and adventure in space where everything can be resolved by a quick firmware update to the phaser banks or the warp engines.

Coming soon on CBS!

16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

This always bothered me. I mean, I guess Dax had a backstory that made her having at least a bit of skill with the bat'leth feasible, but other non-Klingon Starfleet characters using the weapon made very little sense. I've wielded a practice one, briefly and very amateurishly, and it doesn't seem like an easy weapon to learn real skill with at all. (For context: I actually have a reasonable level of competence with longsword, katana, and nunchaku.)

17. Captain Clark Terrell

I thought the same thing and was surprised to see Sisko handling the weapon as though he'd been using it for years. The same was true of Archer when he tried to fight with Andorian weapons.

--Sran

18. Hober Mallow

This sums it up perfectly.
    I'd guess only a minority of the people on this board feel that way, but the majority of the general public would definitely agree. To the general public, Star Trek is the guy with pointed ears. I can't see anyone but hardcore Trek geeks caring about Captain Nobody of the U.S.S. Time-waster.
    "NuTrek" a fan-invented term. There's no such thing. Kirk and Spock are Star Trek characters, not "NuTrek" characters.

Incidentally, "Tee Oh Es" is also a fan-invented term. There is no such series. It was called Star Trek.

I totally agree, and, actually, that's what I've been talking about when I say I want Kirk and Spock. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  19. Captain Clark Terrell

I don't agree, as I've spoken with many non-fans who view Star Trek as the show about the bald captain who looks like Charles Xavier rather than the show about an alien with pointed ears. In any case, I think casual audiences could eventually care about a series if it were well-written and featured interesting characters. People learned to care about the cast and crew of The Next Generation. They could learn to do the same in the last days of the 24th century.

--Sran

20. Hober Mallow

They could... but then the question becomes why? Why try to get the audience to care about new characters when there are already characters people care about in the public consciousness?

And why continue Berman-Trek, which was simply one variant vision of Star Trek, largely created by other people? Is the point to tell an interesting story in the Star Trek setting, or is simply about maintaining the illusion -- or delusion -- of a larger continuity among all the different Star Trek series and movies -- that Star Trek is somehow real? If the point is the latter, then it quickly becomes, IMO, a geeky-ass waste of time.