DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Bleeding Cool says that it's Dick Grayson as Batman, so Wonder Woman might be Donna. In that case, Superman might be Clark Kent, Jr.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just took that though as Rich speculating on it being those characters. I think the Newsarama article says there are alternate versions of the characters so who knows what is going on with this. For some reason I'm thinking this isn't the project fans were hoping for.

Another crossover event for the New 52, and it would seem we're getting a new Beast Boy.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/titans-legion-ravagers-crossover-the-culling-120210.html

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't look like what I was expecting, no. I thought we'd get a world that was like the Earth-2 we saw during Geoff Johns' run on Justice Society (near the end, when he was doing the Kingdom Come stuff). But those costumes on the Trinity, and the Supergirl and Robin costumes on the cover to World's Finest, are showing that Earth-2 is a really different place.

4. Admiral_Young

It seems to be. What I don't get is that when this was first announced Dan DiDio went out of his way to say stuff like JSA is back, or Justice Society fans can rest easy...the Earth 2 thing is fine, and perhaps this is a case of overreaction but I dunno why you would promote the big three on a JSA project...and I do know they were members of the Classic team as I noted before. Unless it is just a variant cover and there is more to come.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I assume the "real cover" will feature the other members of the JSA. Before COIE Superman and Wonder Woman were featured pretty regularly in Earth 2 based adventures. Superman even had his own strip "Mr and Mrs Superman" and Wonder Woman starred in the WW title for a while. ( Mostly because the TV show was WWII based at the time). Batman was the only E2 counterpart that more or less stayed retired, with only one or two appearance in costume post WWII.

With the costume modifications of the big three ( the the two legacies) I'm curious what the others will look like. Will purple capes, puffy sleeves and mercury helms fall by the wayside?

Oh, and don't those creatures the E2-B3 are fighting look like Parademons? Could Darkseid be far behind? And will it take the heroes of two worlds to defeat him?

6. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Lets hope not, but probably.

May seems to be DC's multiverse intro month, what with the Earth 2 books and the return of the Black Superman in Action #9. They do look like parademons, I guess following the Final Crisis model, Darkseid could be the multiversal big bad.

I'm looking forward to it.
    ncc71877:borg:

7. Admiral_Young

^ Which makes sense if they finally release Mutiversity this summer.

I just had another additional thought about this Earth 2 business...they've described it as being much darker, different than our universe or whatever. Well Grant Morrison fans of course would recognize that description and the Earth 2 from his JLA Earth 2 graphic novel which reintroduced the Cryme Syndicate. Are DC introducing a New 52 version of this? There are supposed to be 52 Earth's!!! I guess there are multiple copies of the same Earth in that multiverse pantheon? Or was the Morrison Earth reclassified. EDIT: Oh yeah...seems Wikipedia says that Earth is now Earth Three. Okay nope...the JLA Earth 2 Earth (sigh) is in Qward? LOL This is ridiculous, even for me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

DC' Dark line continues to impress.

Last night I read Demon Knights #6 and Resurrection Man #6.
    With Mitch Shelly in Arkham it of course adds another layer of familiarity so I'm inclined to say of the two I enjoyed it more last night. Both were good reads though. The siege of the town in DK is dragging out a bit imo but the character interplay has been fun.

9. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Yeah, exactly. I think the "outrage" is justified here. While I don't think I'd mind the Justice Society in a world with another version of the trinity, I certainly don't want to see them as the stars.

JSA attracted me from the start because they didn't have the name-brand superheroes. I loved learning about all of these heroes who aren't a part of the public consciousness. Mr. Terrific, Hourman, Dr. Mid-Nite, Stargirl, Jay Garrick, Dr. Fate, Alan Scott, Wildcat. Regardless of Bats, Supes and Wondy being a part of the team at some point, they don't interest me as members of the JSA. If this is just going to be an alternate universe version of the Justice League, I'm not interested.

Two things that could get me re-interested in the project are: If this varient is showing the bad things to happen and that Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman die in the first issue or arc, leaving the JSA to take over. Or if they are Dick, Donna and someone that's not Clark Kent. I'd prefer it if Power Girl took the place of Superman, but I'd be okay with it being his son or something. Because at the end of the day, alternate universe Justice League doesn't interest me.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

What if Earth Two is an anthology series and each arc focuses on different heroes/teams? Furthering the theory, what if the first issue/arc depicts an alternate trinity as a gateway for readers to jump on?

11. Admiral_Young

That'd be cool but not what DC first pumped it up as. As I said DiDio specifically stated we'd be seeing the return of the JSA in it. Of course it could be the JSA existed in the early history of this new world as well. That's a possibility. The project revealed so far seems weird to me.

12. Nerys Myk

How is it not the return of the JSA? It may not feature the JSA as last seen or the preCrisis version, but the title/concept is returning.

13. Admiral_Young

If it turns out to be the case that this is some new version of the Justice Society, that's fine. DC should have clarified if they were going to be an new, alternate universe version of the team. Instead of just saying the JSA would be back. As others have stated in the book the incarnation of the team fans want to see back are the Wildcat, Dr. Fate, etc version. As I have stated before, I just find it intriguing (weird was too harsh) with the direction they're going with this. Especially when James Robinson is the writer.

14. Nerys Myk

Well it has to be a new version because the older version was linked to the previous continuity and this version is set in a parallel universe. Didn't Robinson drop hints about Wildcat, Flash and Green Lantern in an interview? I can understand how seeing Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman on a JSA cover can throw fans of the post-COIE JSA for a loop. They aren't used to seeing them as members. For oldtimers like me on the other hand it's like "going home". ;). I Can't wait to see what's different and what's the same.

15. Admiral_Young

Yeah it will be interesting to get the actual details from the project. I did mention this was a case of overreacting haha :) I'm familiar with the big three's history with the JSA but yeah for a variant cover to feature them is an interesting choice.

16. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

We knew there had to be an Earth-2 Batman and Catwoman because of the revelations concerning Huntress, and I guess we know there's a generational thing at work. I strongly suspect we see various legacy characters end up here: that WW is probably Donna, and I think we'll see Wally. This is as much a revamped Robinbson JLA as it is JSA, maybe?

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, basically, DC's latest "innovation" is to remake what Gerry Conway and Paul Levitz did 30+ years ago in "All Star comics" with JSA and the Super Squad.

18. Nerys Myk

Comics reviving and revitalizing past concepts????? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

19. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, it's Conway, but possibly it's Conway combined with the Wein/Perez Teen Titans.

20. Nerys Myk

Shouldn't that be Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans?