Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume those were all necessary backend changes... the interface should be the last thing changed to reflect and utilize what they did before.

2. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem with that announcement was that the date in the thread title was the 11th. Since there WAS maintenance on the 11th, I didn't bother to read it yesterday.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

There's another maintenance scheduled. When you load the launcher it says:

"We will be bringing down Holodeck on Friday, January 13th from 7:00AM to 9:00AM
    PDT (1400 to 1600 UTC) in order to perform maintenance and apply a new patch. We
    will provide an update once the maintenance has been completed."

I'll be glad when the 17th gets here and they won't need to patch so much.

4. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My first bug report was filed yesterday. I was doing the Klingon Academy event and had collected just over 70 particle fragments in about 32 minutes, putting me on course to collect 120 for over 4,000 dilithium. That's when I scanned a particle and all of a sudden all the particles in my inventory got used up. One after the next I had a stream of messages covering my screen saying "You used 1 particle fragment". I lost all that effort and over half an hour of my time was wasted. Argh !!

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe there is a hard cap that is broken? Next time turn in at 60 and then go for the next batch of 60. Son if that happens again, you dont lose everything.

6. Bird of Prey

I've never had that happen before. There is a cap of 99 for the particle fragments, but then it starts a new slot in your inventory. I was able to collect 105 fragments just the other day and had no issues. I blame the latest patch.

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I browse the forum all the time over there, and it seems to be a common problem.
    Hopefully you can get it corrected!

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like what they are doing (all in preperation for the opfficial F2P launch) is:

- Tieing in to PWE's network backend across the board (as anyone with a PWE account from PWE's other F2P titles - OR a Cryptic account (from CO and or STO) can log into STO now and make a character.

- Most likely expanding and adding server hardware on BOTH the patch server, game server and web server farms to handle what they expect to be a flood of new F2P player starting on 1/17/12.

- Getting the final tweaks in (patch wise) to the game servers and game client so that the game looks as 'polished' as possible for STO; again to make/give a good impression to these new players so they'll decide to keep playing and spend real money of Cryptic C-Points for the STO C-Store (which will be STO's main revenue sourse going forward.

It'll be interesting to see just what level of server load there is on the 17th of January as new players hit the servers (including the first few disruntled SWToR players who's first 30 day 'free month' is ending that same week; and those who decide not to continue subbing to SWToR may be looking for a space based/sci-fi MMO alternative. -- ALSO I'm not knocking TOR as I'm playing it as well as STO, but the fact is - with ALL MMOs not everyone who buys/tries it stays after the first month; and TOR, while a good MMO (if you like WoW style gound mechanics) has its flaws and issues as well.)

9. Uncle Sol

Uncle Sol Commander Red Shirt

Was any of the particles left over from an earlier event? Did you have to leave the map then return? Those scenarios have resulted in my particle fragments being used automatically.

10. Bird of Prey

Nope. I did the Federation Academy event at 8pm with one toon with no issues. Then started the Klingon Academy event when I encountered the issue. Prior to starting the event, I didn't have any particle fragments in my inventory.

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I have ~600 Mb to download and a slowwwww server connection.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I just switched back to my Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit (the James C. Maxwell Excelsior class). I love the Sovereign, but as a T5 ship, compared to the Excelsior Retrofit, it's severely lacking. I took on the Borg tonight, and where in the Maxwell I could tear shit up and not be killed, in the Sovereign I was killed 4 times. It just doesn't hold up as well.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

And I've changed back to my Sovereign class ship. The Retrofit behaved just like the Sovvy, so I figured if it was going to do that, I was going to have a more modern ship. I renamed the Sovereign ship "The Californian" (NCC-921514-A). I feel much better. :D

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Sounds similar to the incident I previously mentioned. Yes, it is frustrating to see those fragments disappear and leave you with nothing. The last time I check, they had not answered my trouble ticket.

I got a chuckle out of the comment that someone made that patches would be a thing of the past after F2P. I expect to see a flurry of patches for a few weeks after launch. It will be interesting times...

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've been having trouble with one of my duty officer missions. It's complete, and there should be rewards, but when I click on it I get text saying that my inventory is too full.

The problem? More than half of my inventory is empty and I still get the error message. I reported it to Cryptic, but, so far, nothing.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

suspect it's a DOFF mission that would give you more DOFFs, or colonists or something, right? Not your regular inventory, but you're probably up against the cap of 100 DOFFs. Either cut/sell a few of the crappier ones, or run a colonization mission where you lose a few colonists, and you'll have room to finish that mission.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That must have been it. The mission was finally able to resolve itself today.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Don't like how that works sometimes. Damned green light blinks until you accept it, but if you don't have any slots, it's tough. I did a recruitment mission, and didn't get back anything special. Didn't have room to accept them, and didn't really want them anyway. Had do drop other white DOFFs and then accept these ones to clear the blinking light. Needs to be a way to just drop the mission (even if complete) if you don't want the reward.

Ran into similar problems with BOFFs on another toon. Got promoted through the DOFF system a lot, and then ended up with a bunch of new BOFFs. I had a roster full off blue/purples, and didn't WANT the offered DOFFs, nor the Mk VI gear, but couldn't drop the completed mission, either. Ended up having to sell a blue DOFF, accept these white ones one at a time, then drop them, then accept the next one. Annoying...

19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Yeah, once a character gets the DOFFs that he needs to keep stop doing the little assignments that give white DOFFs. Also stop using the "Junior Officer" packs. Those are whites with an occasion green thrown in.

Doc Lee will be checking out the F2P today two times. The first around 4pm (GMT+1) or 10am EST. The second around 10pm (GMT+1) or 4pm EST. I'm not sure of the exact schedule of events, but if you see me online give a shout. Doc Lee@Rocketeer_7

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  20. Bird of Prey

With the launch of F2P today, it will be interesting to see how many Miranda class ships will flying around ESD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.