Why didn't we design shuttles to use nukereactor

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by TEH BABA, Aug 30, 2008.

1. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

I say fuck to wacky enviromentalist we need a nuke ship in space.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nuclear reactor in a shuttle for...what?

Power for prolonged stays in orbit? Power for engines to send it somewhere?
    Power for liftoff? Power for some other purpose while in orbit?

You just want a nuke ship in space or specifically on the shuttle?

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'm sure a nuclear reactor would have worked out just great when the Challenger and Columbia blew up.

4. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I, for one, certainly want to take nuclear policy advice from a guy who can't even manage to use a spacebar correctly.

Marian

5. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

Now, now . . . He's got a point. If Challenger and/or Columbia would have had nuclear reactors on board, it would have said "fuck" to "wacky environmentalists" AND a hell of a lot of OTHER people too.

6. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

People in Florida though, so mostly very old - so it wouldn't have been THAT bad! ;)

7. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

T'Bonz lives there... ;) I would watch your back for a while KG5 she might come after you... with a nuke.. ;) :p

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Lovely place Florida... :borg:

9. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

Except that neither ship got back to Florida.... they broke up over the Southwest and mainly Texas.

10. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Many satellites use Plutonium-based Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators to provide onboard power. The mass media somehow hasn't quite cottoned on to this yet.

11. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure they have; there was a bit of a hooplah when Cassini was launched over this.

12. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    There's also a hugh difference between the 72lbs used by Cassini (the most launched to date) to power its electronics vs. what would be needed to lift the 2,237 ton shuttle plus payload (another 29 tons).

13. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

...the same reason we aren't launching our nuclear waste into the sun

14. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Floridians won't know the difference it willb e hiroshima to them :) They'd be celebrating.

15. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

I'm not one much for stirring up controversy but this is too relevant to the discussion.

The Apollo 13 lunar module had an RTG containing 3.9 kg of plutonium that was intended to be left on the Moon to power the ALSEP. Well, as we all know things didn't go according to plan. The lunar module, with the RTG, ended up re-entering Earth's atmosphere over the Pacific. The RTG is supposed to be designed to survive re-entry so apparently it's still intact on the Pacific Ocean floor today. Last I heard it hasn't been recovered.

Robert

16. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Is that plutonium enriched enough to use in a bomb? If so, we better get it before a terrorist group does.

17. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Baba, have you been standing too close to the microwave again?

18. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure the term 'enrich' applies to plutonium; I've only seen it used in connection with uranium which is to increase the percentage of the isotope U-235 in uranium.

The plutonium used in RTGs is the isotope Pu-238 which is not fissionable. The isotope that is fissionable and used for nuclear weapons is Pu-239.

Both of these isotopes are not present naturally on Earth; they both have to be synthesized from natural uranium. As far as I can tell both are produced 'nearly pure' when they're sythesized. In reading up on this I saw no mention of making Pu-239 from Pu-238. But then both are rare commodities; ordinarily it would make no sense using one to make the other when both can be made from natural uranium.

So I have no idea if you can convert Pu-238 to Pu-239. Seems simple enough, just slap another neutron onto that Pu-238 atom and you've got your fissionable Pu-239. But things usually aren't that simple in nuclear physics.

Robert

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

'Course, the amount of fissionables or radioactives dumped into the oceans by the space programs is bound to be minuscule compared with the amount dumped by the various navies (plenty of both Soviet, Russian and American nuclear submarine reactors and nuclear torpedo warheads still down there, plus all those nuclear depth charges that fell accidentally overboard or were fired in error and silenced to nonexistence afterwards), or by people wanting to get rid of radioactive waste in general (any civilized nation would have a heap of low-active stuff from hospitals and the like that they'd want to get rid of, and the oceans are deep).

Timo Saloniemi

20. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Okay, how do you propose safeguarding the nuclear material should an explosion take place in the atmosphere (e.g., Challenger and Columbia)?