Orphan Black - Season 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Mar 22, 2015.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Vhk6rb-Gc[/yt]

Who's excited for the new season to start in 3 weeks. I know I am, but this year I've only just watched trailers and nothing else. I want to go into the new season kind of spoiler free and really interested in how they're going to go with this Castor storyline. I really hope we get more stuff on Paul and Mrs. S, who I really want to see fleshed out more. They still seem to be mysteries and I still think there was a deleted scene where Paul got back into the Military to end Season 2.

I'm so excited for the new season I'm going to start a OB rewatch. Need to refresh my memory of things that happened so far. Also, it will be nice to reacquaint myself with the greatness that is Tatiana Maslany again.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Extremely. I only got into the show a few months ago, so this will be my first time watching the show new and not avoiding discussion threads for fear of spoilers.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to it. Season 2 officially comes out in the UK on dvd/blu next month I believe.

Hopefully, that means that season 3 won't be far behind here:)

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I can't wait for this to start up again; hubby and I both love this series. I love the "clone club," especially Alison and Cosima. Hubby likes crazy Helena. It still strikes me as odd that they are all played by the same person!

I look forward to meeting the new male "clone club." This should be a very interesting season.

5. tomalak301

Bbc America released a clip from the premiere today and I'm really looking forward to the Castor storyline. From what I've seen so far, it seems like Ari Miilen is able to pull this off. I do hope it doesn't become male centric though. One of the things I do love about this series is its allowing "female power", as it were.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This stupid thread :scream:

Thought it had begun !

7. tomalak301

It starts April 18th. I'm just getting excited for it to come back early.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Starting April 6, the rewatch begins. An episode a day for 2 weeks, leading right in to S3.

The Castor storyline should be good, but the focus needs to stay on Tatiana.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I hope that Castor is more used as a threat to the female clones, than a full part of the show, if that makes sense.

10. tomalak301

Based on the clip I saw, it looks like that is the case. I do worry though the same I worried about at the end of the season last year. Is 10 episodes enough time to tell the story and flesh out the characters in a Season? I wish it was like 15.

11. Ar-Pharazon

If the show were any less fast-paced, they might need more episodes.

I can't think of any show that wastes no time the way OB does.

Still, I would like 15 eps. It wouldn't be over so quickly.

12. tomalak301

You can still keep up the pace but flesh out the characters. I get maybe it's supposed to keep Paul and Mrs. S a mystery, but it seems like Paul is the least developed character on the series. One minute his paying back a debt to Dyad to get his life back, and the next minute he's back in the military. I'm actually rewatching the series (Made it to the 7th episode of the first season) and Paul is starting to make some sense but it was never really revealed he's still military, only Olivier told him that by getting his life back he could go back to active duty.

Also, a 15 episode season would provide more OB and then the year wait might be more worth it.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Anyone reading the comic that's just came out (on issue 2 right now). It's decent, though so far it seems more concerned with filling in the blanks to stuff we already saw than giving us anything ground breaking. To be fair though, that's kind of the point of it, and it's also creator approved (and I think they offer notes too).

14. tomalak301

I haven't read the comics, but I was thinking the other day how great it would be if we got a prequel movie showing Beth, Katjia, Alison and Cosima leading up to the suicide. I get this sense we're not done learning why Beth jumped yet, and I would love to see Beth in action. That almost seems begging for a prequel something.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So far the comic is just covering Sarah, Helena, and Alison (in issues 1, 2 and 3 respectively). But who knows, in the future they could do one on Beth.

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I just finished my initial 5-day binge watch of the 1st 2 seasons. It's a bit more serialized than the kinds of shows that I usually like but I've really gotten into the characters. In particular, I love Allison and I love the way that the tone of the Allison stuff doesn't quite entirely fit with the rest of the series.

I also really like Helena and I really feel sorry for her. It's not her fault that she's crazy. I hope things end up working out for her somehow. (Most of my favorite scenes in Season 2 were when Helena & Sarah went on that road trip to find Professor Duncan.)

And I'd like to see more of Donny meeting the other clones. I'd love to see the look on his face when he sees Cosima & Delphine together, and then see the look on Allison's face when she sees to look on Donny's face. ;)

It's also possible that Paul never entirely left the military and that he's been working for them this whole time under deep cover to get dirt on Dyad.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    BTW, on the list of Inadvertent Themes: Never trust a blonde lesbian scientist, apparently.

At the very least, I've seen this twice now. First, on Lost Girl, you've got Lauren lying to everyone about who she really is. She totally neglected to tell Bo about her comatose girlfriend. She spent most of Season 4 seducing & manipulating the Morrigan. (Granted, the Morrigan deserved it, but still.) She also "spy-banged" Bo for the Ash back in Season 1. (Although, that was less of a "spy-bang" and more of a "distraction-bang." She wasn't trying to get any information from Bo. She was just trying to distract her long enough for the Fae elders to get Vex out of town before Bo killed him.)

Meanwhile, on Orphan Black, you've got Delphine constantly keeping secrets from Cosima, giving blood samples to Dr. Leekie behind her back, and sleeping with Cosima just to get close to her and to be able to snoop around her apartment while Cosima was out getting post-coital ice cream. (Frankly, this was a much more accurate example of the term "spy-bang.")

Still, although the styles of the universes are very different, I can't help but hope that they do a Lost Girl/Orphan Black crossover at some point. At the very least, it feels like Kenzi would have crossed paths with Feelix, Sarah, & Vick at some point during her disreputable pre-Fae past.

18. tomalak301

After having just rewatched the Season 1 finale and the first 3 episodes of Season 2, did we ever find out who was on the other side of the phone when Rachel said "You know what to do"? We know that Mrs. S took Kira and ransacked the place before Rachel's men got there, but I was wondering if that person Rachel was talking to was Mrs. S. Considering what we know now about Top Side and Castor, could that come back into play later on?

19. tomalak301

I've just finished the first 5 episodes of Season 2 on my rewatch and some thoughts:

1) One thing I've noticed a lot more of now that I'm binge watching the show that I kind of don't like is how easy Sarah is ordering Feelix around. It seemed like in the first few episodes it was "Feelix do this" or "Feelix do that". I was waiting for a scene in which they reconciled in Episode 4 but that really didn't happen. They reunited and then Sarah was back to ordering him to do more stuff in the investigation of project Leda and Ethan Duncan. One of the nice things about Feelix in Season 1 was that he seemed to be his own guy and his relationship with Alison really blossomed because of it. I'm kind of hoping in Season 3 we might get Feelix the independent or Feelix with a clone other than Sarah (Like with Cosima or something). I don't really feel like they further developed his character that much in Season 2.

2) I watched episode 4 and 5 tonight, and these two episodes featured my two favorite scenes of Season 2: The shower scene and the Sniper scene. I know the common reaction is it's unreal that we're seeing Maslany in all these roles, but I think it's unbelievable how she is able to ACT in all these roles. I mean in the shower scene you have a face of absolute horror on Sarah and a Zombified look on Helena and that was as gripping a scene as you will ever get on Television. Then for the Sniper scene that's as emotional a scene as you will ever get on TV, with Sarah begging her Seestra to put the gun down.

I remember when the Emmy nominations came out last year and Maslany was once again not nominated. Well, it convinced me that the Emmys are a joke because the people nominating don't do their jobs. Yeah you have your Justifieds and Scandals and whatever show Karry Washington is in, and I don't watch those shows but I assume they do a good job. The problem is though that they are only one actress in one role. What Maslany is doing is being one actress in multiple roles and pulling it off outstandingly. Sarah and Helena are not the same people, but they are portrayed by the same person. Watching those two characters this year (As well as Alison and Cosima, even though they were in the background) really is a treat for anyone who watches and enjoys TV Drama. To have an achievement like that go unnoticed by not giving her a nomination is almost criminal.

20. Ar-Pharazon

It's been a great point of contention here in earlier OB threads and on facebook...it's sestra from the Ukrainian (сестра/sestra).

Yeah, really any time Tat is onscreen twice or more, but moreso when she's Sarah and Helena, it's pretty mind boggling. Easy to forget it's the same actress, if even for a moment.