Picard is Wesley's father?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by T'Cal, Nov 4, 2007.

1. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

While not canon, there's the novel "Q-Squared" in which Jack is still alive and captain of the Enterprise with Jean-Luc as XO in an alternate reality. Bev, long since divorced from Jack, joins the crew as CMO. In one chapter, Jean-Luc recalls a night years back when he and Bev, Jack's then wife, attend a dull Starfleet gathering and he walks her home. They end up making out and it begins a short-lived but torrid affair. Overcome with guilt from betraying his best friend, he requests and gets a transfer away from her telling her it was a surprize. It was written quite well, quite believably.

Perhaps because of this type of indiscretion, he has become the man we now know. So, perhaps he and Bev could've betrayed Jack and given in to their feelings for each other.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. Tuxedo Dragon

Tuxedo Dragon Ensign Red Shirt

Lets not forget that Roddenberry's vision for TNG wouldn't allow for this kind of behavior. Roddenberry was always firm that these people were more evovled human beings. He never wanted this type of conflict.

This theory makes no sense anyway. Its pretty clear Picard never had any children. Beverly and Jack we're married while he knew them. And it was made clear that any attraction between them was never revealed openly until season 7. If Picard had a biological son why would he have been so upset with being the last "Picard" in Generations. Besides the whole Picard has a secret son thing was already done an in episode of TNG. Of course the son ended up being a red herring.

3. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

If Picard is his father, it would explain why Picard doesn't like kids.

Joe, father

4. Canuck69

Canuck69 Commander Red Shirt

LMAO:lol: This is so true. I know if that were me I wouldn't be a big fan either.

5. Canuck69

That assuming of course that Picard knew that Wesley was his son. He might not have known had this actually happened.

6. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Assuming the flagship captain isn't capable of basic math to figure out the possibility, What then? When he finds out Picard will just instantly forgive Beverly for deceiving him for decades and denying him the right to know his only son while flaunting the child right under his nose. The couple will fall into each other's arms and create another child that looks just like Wesley. How about a little girl this time? :rolleyes:

That is fine as the plot of an afternoon soap opera, but as the plot of anything else it is not just lame, it is down right silly and sophomoric.

:techman: well said,Tuxedo Dragon!

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  7. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

Read The Motion Picture...this would fit perfectly with his vision...

8. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm actually kind of surprised that after the events of Generations we didn't see Picard do a bodice ripper on Bev and then when FC came around there'd be two baldies on the ship ;)

9. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Yes, yes, yes. Picard is the most moral man ever. Oh, wait! In "Bloodlines" it was suggested that Jason Vigo was his son and Picard said it was possible. While it turned out he wasn't, the fact is "Little Jean-Luc" got out to play once in a while apparently.

10. Whoa Nellie

Miranda Vigo was not married to Picard's best friend and fellow officer. Moreover, Miranda Vigo did not spend years raising Jason right under Picard's nose. :rolleyes:

Edited to add:

The whole idea of having Captain Picard as the type of man willing to bed his best friend and fellow officer's wife along with having Dr. Beverly Crusher as the type of woman willing to betray her husband with his best friend and commanding officer and then willfully lie to her husband about the child's paternity in order to pass the child of the adulterous tryst off as her husband's all as a story device to get Picard and Beverly Crusher together is just ridiculously histrionic.

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  11. LaBarre

LaBarre Commander Red Shirt

So what?

WN, I understand why you have fashioned the moral choices/characters in a way that suits you - "willing to bed, "betray", "willfully lie," etc.

That's fine, but just because you frame it this way doesn't mean that others have to accept the moral straitjacket you seek to impose on the discussion.

There is a good argument for some consideration of Picard's lapse of moral judgement when it comes to his second liaison with Vash (he gets a pass on the first which was more a case of "what happens on Risa stays on Risa" holiday fling).

12. Canuck69

LaBarre, thank you! You have put into words so elegantly what I have been trying to say. Yes, Picard is a very moral person and like it was said, with Vash the first time was ok. The second time however is not so forgivable given we now know the person she truly is (which is not a very good one). So how else to explain that second time without calling it a moral lapse when considering Picard's high morals? If you do not consider that a lapse then what would you consider one?

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wesley has superpowers now. He's Picard's father.

14. Canuck69

Hahaha rofl

15. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Now if we had a BSG style remake of TNG< I can definitely see them doing all of those things ;)

16. Whoa Nellie

:lol: And that incarnation would probably exhibit about the same resemblance to the original as NuBSG does to the original BSG. Would Worf be a girl in the new one?:lol:

17. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah... Worfina. And she and Tasha Yar would be lesbian lovers.

And Crusher would be pregnant with *someone's* baby.

And we'd find out that the Borg had infiltrated Starfleet for years... and DATA IS A BORG!

18. KobayashiMaru13

KobayashiMaru13 Captain Captain

ha, roflmao, thatd be hilarious!

19. childofdarkness

childofdarkness Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was given a link to this thread from another thread. I did not immediately see the connection, but have very much enjoyed reading this series of posts. I just so agree with the one who said that Wesley being his son would indeed explain Picard's dislike for children. Too funny! I have never really cared about this theory (whether or not Picard was Wesley's father). However, I do seem to recall that Jack was portrayed with blue eyes in the show; Beverly had blue eyes; Wesley has brown eyes. Had TPTB wished to put this theory to rest (or at least not add fuel to the fire), they should have cast an actor with brown eyes to play Jack. Or at least given him brown contact lenses for the ep.

20. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^It's just too much of a leap...they forgot how unforgiving we trek fans are...