Basics

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by garak1, May 24, 2011.

1. garak1

garak1 Captain Captain

I recently rewatched the two part episode, 'Basics', and just wanted to share my thoughts.

I thought the episode was a fantastic adventure, with some great action sequences and a thrilling story.

Voyager being taken over by the Kazon and the crew being stranded on a primitive world was a brilliant idea and fitting with the Kazon motivations going right back to 'Caretaker'.

Whilst the trials of the crew on Hanon IV were exciting, I felt the real beauty of the episode was in the efforts of the remaining crew to retake Voyager from the Kazon. Robert Picardo shone as The Doctor deceiving the Kazon while aiding his shipmates, a hologram standing firm on his own.

Yet the most credit must be reserved for Brad Dourif's magnificent performance as the haunted Lon Suder, fighting both the Kazon and his own inner demons, being forced to use very acts of violence he had been working so hard to control.

Suder's final, near death act of saving the ship was one of the most moving moments I have seen in all Star Trek history.

I also thought the 'Basics' campaign changed the nature of the show. The Voyager crew had faced extreme danger and a shattering defeat, and yet emerged victorious over a superior enemy.

After that, I felt that Voyager wasn't just a trip back to the Alpha Quadrant anymore. It was a fight for survival and a quest to reach their home. They had fought a war and won, which made all the stronger the will to continue the journey home. This undoubtably influenced Janeway's decision in 'Scorpion' to continue on into the mammoth dangers of Borg space.

I thought 'Basics' was a brilliant two-part episode and a magnificent conclusion to the epic story of Voyager Season 2.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Definitely one of Voyager's brighter moments. :techman:

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Basics is a masterpiece! :techman:

Very exciting from beginning to end. Just the fact that the enemy actually suceeded in taking over Voyager made it even more interesting. Suder as the hero is also one of the surprising events with the episode. Definitely one of my top 5 favorites.

I remember when I watched it the first time. I had to wait six months before I had the opportunity to watch the second part. That was six long months!

4. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Basics had the best, most interesting space battle in the series. It was paced extremely well. The only downside was the CG wasn't as great as later seasons. But that battle was fantastico.

Lon Suder's death never fails to make me tear up, either. Brad Dourif really kicked ass in that role.

5. janeway59

janeway59 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Brad Dourif was awesome in that ep. And while I loved the episode, it has always bothered me that Seska knew the ship better then Janeway. Also, when the ship is being boarded, I would have liked it if Janeway put up more of a fight...you know, telling everyone to arm them selves and fight fight fight...they just folded and gave up.

6. garak1

garak1 Captain Captain

I admit, that thought occurred to me as well, but I just have to put it down to Janeway forgetting about a certain piece of functionality of the ship.

In terms of fighting back once the ship was boarded, Voyager was facing a superior armed enemy. Ultimately, the Kazon would have won, so there was no point in shedding more blood, and the explosion onboard caught everyone by suprise. I suspect the quick takeover was also done for show pacing reasons.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If you know you are going to lose, stop fighting. That raises your chances of surviving. Especially in the Star Trek universe. The "fight to the death for glory" attutide is stupid.

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    a fun, dumb action two-parter, but I wish they could've gotten the plot rolling without having the crew idiotically and obviously flying right into a trap. Also, the means by which they were going to take back Voyager from the Kazon were too obviously and clumsily set up in part one.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a shame they killed Suder. He had much more personality than many of the regulars.

Imagine him as part of the main cast! Who wouldn't tune in to see what the partly rehabilitated psychopath crewman was up to this week?

TUVOK: "Captain, Ensign Kim did not show up for his duty shift this morning."

**all eyes turn to Suder**

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeri Taylor didn't want an irredeemable character on her ship.

Her show was about happy shiny people.

Seven assimilated thousands, probably killed hundreds with her hands and assisted in the devastation of hundreds of planets and...

Go figure?

11. janeway59

janeway59 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Jeri Taylor was gone when seven came aboard, Seven was the wet dream of Brandon Braga

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brannon's original wet dream was about a dude.

The suits form the network put boobies on his Borg.

Why stress the dreaming when he was living the dream?

Although Jeri isn't Seven.

In their role playing sex games while they were dating, if Jeri played Seven, I wonder who Brannon played? Good god, you don't think Jeri ever played Janeway?

According to IMDB Jeri Taylor was still an executive producer during the length of Season Four. But then she's just a voice in a Chorus and not the absolute authority.

13. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

It seems awful noble of the Kazons to leave the entire crew on the planet when, for awhile, they were free to slaughter everyone. Cullah, the first Maj of the Kazon Nistrum, was probably the one responsible. This all goes to Cullah-he is one cool stud. The fact that the crew evenually found enough to survive on the semi-wasteland is astounding. Only one crewmember, Hogan, is eaten by the cave monster. Suder shows his natural talents in engineering when Tom and the Talaxians attack to retake Voyager.

14. garak1

garak1 Captain Captain

I actually thought it was quite an ingenious punishment fitting with the Kazon motives. They wanted Voyager's technology, and were jealous of the Starfleet crew.

The reality is, leaving them on Hanon IV was a virtual death sentence anyway, what with the tectonic disruptions on that world. As you say, the fact that they survived was astounding.

One further point, they lost two crewmembers on Hanon IV. A crewmember in a blue uniform was eaten by the cave monster whilst the crew were fleeing the natives through the cave.