E3 2013 Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Jun 10, 2013.

1. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

No way in hell I'm getting an xbone. DRM is why I use GOG instead of steam.

Might get a PS4 if there are some decent games available.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What? Name one policy that's more consumer-friendly than Valve's Steam?

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

You can lend games to a friend, people in your family can use your games. That would be what I'd consider to be better than Steam.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those are exactly what I had in mind.

5. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

3 minutes to Nintendo Direct...

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel the same way. I had a PS2 and was planning on getting a PS3, but the 360 was just better value at that time (early 2007) and I "jumped in". It was a bloody good games console with a lot of great exclusives, and I never felt the need to buy a PS3. I think the PS3 had the better exclusives in the latter half of this generation, and I was envious of the lack of a paywall, but I still don't regret switching to the 360. But next gen it will have to be a PS4, and I don't see a compelling reason for me to buy an Xbox One.

What truly amazes me is how MS failed to learn from Sony's mistake with the PS3 launch. They focused too much on multimedia rather than games, they used their device as a trojan horse for their wider corporate goals, it cost more than the primary alternative, and they expected brand loyalty would cross over between console generations. Those are all mistakes that Sony made with the PS3 and they struggled to recover from them. Add in the DRM debacle and MS looks really, really foolish right now.

7. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Fail Nintendo... :(

The livestream isn't very "live". It keeps stopping every few seconds. I understand their servers are probably getting hammered, but you'd think they would have realized that and made plans to handle it?

[edit]
    Okay, it's cleared up now. But still...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Apparently the North America stream had some major problems they were telling people to use the European stream instead.

9. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I managed to catch pieces of it. I'm watching the whole thing on youtube now.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13D1I5s236o[/yt]

10. Kelthaz

Disappointing Nintendo. As an Nintendo fan I loved what I saw, but this will do nothing to expand your market. Where's the Wii Sports U? You can't just appeal to your core Nintendo fanbase if you want to stay afloat this generation.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't agree with that at all, that's what keeps them afloat, and Wii Sports U isn't for E3 Nintendo Direct. What Nintendo's issue is I have NEVER seen an ad for Wii U, no one knows it's out.

Plus if they make it $250, it's half the cost of the other consoles so that's a huge benefit.

Having said that the 3DS looks like the best system.

12. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

13. Kelthaz

The core Nintendo fanbase leads to Gamecube level sales. At best. Nintendo needs to do better than that.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw:

Also www.xboxdone.com takes you too... ;)

15. bigdaddy

Once they get word out they have a new system, that can play your Wii games and it's so much easier and cheaper than the others I think they will be fine.

16. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Maybe. But Nintendo needs to do something more if they want to be the single console that a person owns, or if they are happy with being the 2nd console that someone owns in addition to the Xbox or Playstation.

They need to sit down with the 3rd parties and figure out how to get those games on the Wii U, despite whatever technical differences they may have against the PS4 and XBone. Ubisoft has been pretty good about that, what with Watch Dogs and AC4 coming to the Wii U, but that's about it for 3rd parties.

It would be nice (for me anyways) if Square Enix could be convinced to bring Final Fantasy back to where it started, on a Nintendo console.

Overall, I think Nintendo's presentation was ok. Nothing really convinced me that I need to get a Wii U yet though.

17. bigdaddy

The Nintendo Direct thing was HORRIBLE, but I think they might be OK if they get their act together before Christmas. They need ads, they have a few games out by then that will look decent, maybe have a demo of one level of Super Smash Bros: Stupid Name with a few characters, and bundle it with the system.

But $330 for a Nintendo system is stupid. If they make it $250ish they can get the Sony fans to buy one instead of the mess that Xbox has become.

Last system I bought was a Gamecube. The only system I'd buy would be a 3DS and I refuse to spend that much money for a handheld.

18. Kelthaz

I'm not buying a Wii U until it's $250 for the deluxe. Maybe $300 for an amazing bundle. Yeah, yeah, I know, the screen is expensive. I don't care. I'm not paying more than that when the supercomputer known as the PS4 is only $399.

19. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2KNyaoNV4[/yt]

It's about time! :techman:

And here's one of the games I'm definitely looking forward to:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWQrG0Oal5s[/yt]

20. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Some more Nintendo:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwjcfgTksU[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAluniNRibs[/yt]