Way of the Warrior 20th Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Oct 1, 2015.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The first ST episode I ever had on VHS!

2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow. That's scary.

I remember being nervous about buying the VHS as it was a '12' certificate in the UK.

Still one of my favourite Trek stories of all time.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

20 Years of TWOTW. It makes me feel old. I'm watching Season 4 right now (Saw WOTW a few weeks ago) and it's a great season still with only one flaw. The premiere episode to set up the season is almost ignored throughout the rest of the season. I get they wanted to react to the founder saying that the only things we need to worry about are the Klingons and Federation in Die is Cast, but we really don't have another episode dealing with what should have been the arc for the season. I just saw Homefront and Paradise Lost and up to those episodes, we haven't had another Klingon breaking up with the Federation episode yet.

4. Iamnotspock

It's because 'Homefront' and 'Paradise Lost' were supposed to be the Season 3/4 two-parter, and the directive from the studio to shake up the format threw them for a loop.

5. tomalak301

So they do this big season opener and then never return to it? Does that make any sense? I love season 4 but this issue is why I think season 5 is so much better.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

A whole season of Klingon nonsense would've been awful. No thanks.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

And they do return to it. In the finale at least. But I'm glad Feds and Klingons were never at war. It wouldn't have made sense with previous alliance. It worked better with the situation we got of Klingons invading Cardassia which led to Cardassia welcoming the Dominion.

Without the Klingon invasion of Cardassia Dukat's arc would be less compelling.

8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow! You nailed it. The Klingon conflict may have been a diversion, but it did set up the Dominion War in a way better than what they were doing already.

9. tomalak301

I'm not calling for a full season, but to mention it from time to time would have been nice. It's like they ignored the thing.

The Kitomer Accords were broken, the previous allience was null and void. I do agree with your comment about Dukat though. Loved how they tied that together, but again, that was Season 5, not 4.

10. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I remember hearing about Worf coming to DS9 and being excited and impatient to see it. So impatient that I ended up reading the novelization of this episode before I even saw the episode. My impatience didn't end there. It took so long to be shown on tv in my country that I bought the VHS. Even with knowing everything that was going to happen I was still glued to the screen. One of the greatest episodes of all time.

Every line spoken by Gowron and Sisko during their stand off is truly exceptional.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Khitomer accords were broken, but the entire nature and development of the 24th century Klingons established previously would have had to be completely reversed in order to have open war.

Attacking Cardassia though and then having tensions rise fueled by the Dominion made reasonable sense.

12. Iamnotspock

Gowron: "Captain, your shields have been weakened, your station boarded, and more Klingon ships are on their way, surrender while you can!"

Sisko: "I don't think so. My shields are holding, your boarding parties are contained, and my reinforcements are closer than yours."

Love it.

13. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

He doesn't figure prominently, but I feel Odo stole all the scenes he was in, especially when he dressed down Worf.

14. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Wow, 20 years? Really?! That's scary. I remember being off the charts excited for this to premiere, Worf has always been my favorite Trek character.

I remember getting into some trouble over this episode, I had a ton of math homework to finish that night, I watched this episode instead. :rommie:

15. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I was about to ask the same question, LeadHead.
    My God, has it truly been 20 years?! WOW!

This is the episode that got me hooked on DS9. The return of the K't'inga class battlecruiser to action....even if too many got blown up for my tastes. I had recorded this ep, and pretty much wore the tape out watching it. DS9, to me, was the most ambitious of the Trek series, and it showed very well in its fleet battles. (Sadly, most of the fleet battles in later seasons were stock footage...but still, fun to watch.)

The Klingons are the best thing about Star Trek imho! When I watch TOS, TNG or DS9, I pretty much jump right to the Klingon focused eps....even the funny ones like "The House of Quark". (Gowron's face is priceless as he's trying to look over a financial ledger that Quark prepared for the council. :D )

16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Odo and Garak's scene in TWotW is brilliant as well.

17. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Superb episode. "It's vile!"

18. Iamnotspock

Odo and Garak steal the show between them.

"You'd shoot a man in the back?"
    "Well, it's the safest way isn't it."

"Actually, I don't think Constable Odo has a mother."

"You're going to hit them with a box?"
    "No. This is my disruptor pistol, the one I used to carry in the old days when I was serving on that Ferengi freighter."
    "I thought you were the ship's cook?"
    "That's right, and every member of that crew thought he was a food critic."

19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I need to rewatch this one.

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I don't know, I always thought “The Way of the Warrior” was kind of overrated. I don't remember finding anything about it particularly clever or exciting. Worf always was a rather one-note character to me and I don't think it was a very good idea to bring him onto the show. I didn't care for the whole idea of bringing the Klingons more into the show. And in terms of a turning point for the show, I'd say “The Search” was much more important and radical.

I have to say, though, having watched this when it originally aired 20 years ago, makes me feel really old. Has it really been that long ago?! :sigh: