The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Brefugee, Nov 23, 2013.

?

So what did you think?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2013.
  1. Brilliant: Geronimo.

188 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool!

38 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Ok: Come along Ponds.

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard.

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Terrible: Who da man?

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

So? It only had to be continuous from Hurt's Doctor's screwdriver to Smith's Doctor's screwdriver. The War Doctor initiated the calculation, and the Eleventh Doctor's screwdriver finished them. The Fifth Doctor's screwdriver doesn't factor into the matter.

Why?

2. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

It was David Bradley for me. :alienblush:

3. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't you feel cheated back when Daleks suddenly began appearing all over the place despite the Moment had destroyed them all? We saw an awful lot of Daleks for that to be the last one of their people.

At least now we know where they come from.

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But he already appeared. He even said "for my next magic trick" during the Doctors appearences in the end.

Plus, his regeneration face in The Parting of the Ways isn't him. Its clearly a CGI recreation of his face, since he didn't actually do the close-up for that scene and didn't film the customary hand-over with Tennant.

5. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yep - the fate of Gallifrey had already changed with End of Time having the planet time locked and trying to break free only to be return indicating it wasn' t destroyed.

And with the planet time locked, it was removed from it's time frame and as far as the universe was concerned it was gone for good. As what he believed was the only timelord outside the timelock the doctor believed he was the last.

Then we got the sound of drums.

So day of the doctor didn't invalidate was rose was told. That happened well before now.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

"The End of Time" I think takes place before The Moment is activated.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

For one thing Eccleston didn't regenerate in Bad Wolf. ;)

8. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The Parting Of The Ways." I was only one episode off :D

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

And if you can't get Red Button?

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, same here.

The episode is up on the BBC website and it's not geo-locked. I just watched it and I'm not in the UK, either.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it in the moment. I went to a Doctor Who viewing party in Baltimore, and there were about 100 people there in a make-shift theater. Moffat's Who is tailor-made to be watched with a crowd. It makes for a good communal activity.

When I stopped to think about it, it falls apart.

There are some interesting implications to the story. It cleverly rewrites the RTD era by rewriting the assumptions of the era but leaving the text itself intact.

But on a narrative level, it was setpieces in search of a plot. The Zygon plot existed long enough to function as a MacGuffin and was then dismissed for the real meat of the story -- the Doctor's culpability for the Time War. (That's not unusual for Moffat; the Daleks were important in "Asylum of the Daleks" to the extent that they let Amy and Rory's relationship problems play out.) The tenth Doctor had no significant narrative function that I could discern except to be part of the MacGuffin.

I guess the "present" in the 2020s, which means that Clara is from the 2020s. Either that, or she's older.

Hurt's Doctor could have been Eccleston or McGann. I defended the casting of Hurt as an unknown incarnation of the Doctor, but in execution this felt like an excuse to cast a name actor as the Doctor. And I was disappointed by the regeneration at the end, though dialogue suggests there's about 100 years between that event and "Rose," and I'm fine with that. :)

The real crime was how the story absolved the Doctor of the guilt for using the Moment, but then making him forget that he didn't so he carried that guilt for 400 years. Hurt's Doctor got to be acknowledged as the Doctor, yet he promptly forgets this fact and his subsequent incarnations see him as anathema. Moffat gives us a warm-fuzzy ending then yanks it away. The story doesn't have the courage of its own convictions.

In the final analysis, except for a few throwaway moments, this was largely a culmination of Doctor Who post-2005, as it resolved a number of outstanding issues from the past eight and half years.

Moffat did what he does best -- he delivered popcorn entertainment. And when consumed as popcorn, like Brannon Braga's best Star Trek work, it went down fine. It's when you stop and think about what you've eaten that you start to wonder what it is you've eaten and you have second thoughts.

12. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Eh? Where'd you get that from? I didn't see any indication that the present was not our present.

While Hurt's Doctor doesn't get to keep the "warm fuzzies" of having saved Gallifrey, Eleven (and subsequently Twelve) does, which is what's important. The current Doctor gets to know he put right what he once did wrong.

13. Allyn Gibson

"The Power of Three" takes place around 2018. That's Kate Stewart's first meeting with the eleventh Doctor. Therefore, this has to be after that.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A couple of reasons:

Kate Stewart and the Doctor know each other, making it clear this is after The Power of Three, which takes place in 2016 and 2017.

Clara must have some sort of an education degree in order to be a teacher. That sort of thing takes years and we had no indication she was previously educated enough to be a teacher.

EDIT: Damn, got ninja'd. But I'll also add that likely Moffat just doesn't give a damn about consistent dates. Hell, the episode does include a joke about UNIT dating.

15. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tennant's screwdriver was destroyed twice. Once in the hospital on the moon episode and once in "the eleventh hour". I'm going to assume the Tardis keeps a copy of the software.

16. Allyn Gibson

Don't feel ninja'ed. Your dates are more accurate than mine, and I hadn't considered the problem of Clara's educational degree. :)

To me, the situation at the beginning suggests that the Doctor drops in on Clara's life from time to time, not unlike how he dropped in on Rory and Amy's lives after he faked his own death. And like in that instance, the Doctor's visits may be months apart, so years can pass.

17. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here. I haven't done that since B5's "Sleeping in Light".

Vf

18. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I'm sure that the Doctor had his old traveling buddy, who now runs the school "arrange" for Clara's job.

19. Allyn Gibson

Okay, something I really thought was clever about the episode.

I liked Bad Wolf/Rose. I liked how Bad Wolf brought Hurt's Doctor together with his future so that he could see what he would become if he went through with the using the Moment, and she brought the future Doctors back so that they could find a way. I liked that it was a weapon that was conscious and didn't want to be used and wanted to help Hurt's Doctor and cleanse him of the pain he bore.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Eleventh's screwdriver was "made" by the TARDIS, so whatever software was in an earlier version would be passed on that way.