Tron: Uprising

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by marillion, May 14, 2012.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

NERDGASM!

Tron: Uprising Pilot

I have to say I'm pretty excited. Love the look and feel of the show.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, watched this yesterday. It's good. I'll keep watching.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

been looking forward to this since Tron Legacy. thought it was a pretty good first episode.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Tron looks a little more like Scott Bakula than Boxleitner.

Still, looks really good. I'll watch it.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I wasn't too sure about the character designs at first, but after seeing them in motion, I think they fit the action sequences really well. They explored a bit more of the Grid than they did in Legacy and that was real cool. I like how the lightcycles aren't quite as sleek on closer look and have a more rounded forward canopy like the ones in the original Tron.

Pretty cool story too, IMO, but I think they're deliberately leaving out something established in Legacy regarding Rinzler that will be addressed by the end of the series.

6. marillion

^^ Agreed... We know this show bridges the gap between the time when Flynn disappeared and the events in Legacy... That said, we don't know WHEN in real time, this takes place. We know that Tron eventually becomes Rinzler, but obviously, Uprising makes it appear that his transformation didn't take place immediately following his battle with Clu. I would imagine now that his turn to the *ahem* dark side happens quite a while after the battle and will hopefully be addressed in the show.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The show suffers somewhat in being a prequel, and that we know what wil happen, BUT having said that, I thought the execution was terrific, one of the few times animation(especially in the US) really felt like it transported me into a genuine other-world. A+!

RAMA

8. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I have been looking forward to this so I watched it as soon as I had the chance. I did not expect to be completely mesmerized by it. Visually it's stunning and the story was very engaging. It was so great hearing Bruce as Tron and while we do know where this story eventually leads, it still held my attention every second of the way.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of a reaction. I don't get Disney XD, so I don't know if I want to watch the pilot. I'll definitely be watching this tomorrow.

10. marillion

I'm pleased to say my 11 year old son is geeked to see this now as well.. When I first sat him down to watch my trusty dusty copy of the original Tron before we went to see Legacy, he was lukewarm... But after seeing Legacy (which I loved) and getting the original remastered on Blu Ray, he's fully on board... His only complaint about the cartoon: "Their legs are too long!" LOL!

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When did the pilot premire, I did'nt think it started till june?

12. Professor Zoom

Click the link in the original post.

13. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay so it's a preview and a very cool one @ that. So looking forward to it.

14. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Downloaded it and loved it! They took the look of Legacy and expanded upon it with some great homages too - I liked the incorporation of the first film's "hockey goalie" armor on the stormtrooper guards, and the use of the old movie look for Tron (and now Beck?).

The story seems to be setting up a sort of superhero mythos, with Beck pulling a secret identity gig - something neither Tron movie executed, so this will be fun to see some depth to the Grid citizens. Really looking forward to this!

I did note however that the runtime of this preview is slightly over 30 minutes... If this is a ten-part miniseries, is this some expanded version of the episode? Will it premiere on Jun 7 with a 22-minute version of this episode? The pacing of this preview was exceedingly well done IMO, it would be tough to see it lose one third of its runtime to commercial. OTOH, maybe this is a two-parter premiere..?

Mark

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, I forgot to watch this today. I'll try to remember tomorrow.

16. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This was surprisingly good for a cartoon. For an adult approaching middle age, this was one of the best animated premieres I've seen since Batman: The Animated Series. In fact, some scenes in the episode were reminiscent of Christopher Nolan's work. If the quality of subsequent episodes is even approaching the premiere, Tron: Uprising is a worthy successor to the best of cartoons from generations past.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine how good it would have been if it hadn't been handicapped by that new mythology from that awful movie.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, the use of the original white costume was a nice touch. I don't much care for the visual style of Legacy, the way it's reduced the Grid to near-monochrome. In the original movie, only the characters/programs had monochrome lighting; the world they inhabited was richly colorful. And it wasn't just a CGI approximation of the physical world, but embraced the exotic and abstract. I was bugged by the scene in this pilot where the Beck character ended up in a snowbank. That's just too mundane an environment for the Grid.

I'm not crazy about the other visual aspects of this show. I don't care for the ultra-skinny character designs (I didn't like that style when Peter Chung used it in Aeon Flux and Phantom 2040 either), and I don't care for the low frame rate in the animation, the jerky movements. But maybe I can get used to the visual aspects, and the story seems okay so far, though it's a bit by-the-numbers. And the timeframe of the story has its problems, similarly to Star Wars: The Clone Wars, because we know going in that the heroes' cause is doomed to failure.

But Bruce Boxleitner's voice has really gotten rich and powerful with age, hasn't it? It's just great to listen to. He's pretty much the main reason I'm watching this.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Yeah, the animation is both flashy and Flash-y.

20. Professor Zoom

Awful movie? It doesn't look or sound like Avatar in any way....

;)