Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, obviously, Love at First Bite is the definitive Dracula film. The others just have to reconcile their differences and lay down before it.

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know moviepilot.com isn't always the best source. But they just had an article about Avi Arad, and his role in keeping the Marvel movie universes separate.

I thought Avi Arad had helped usher in the Marvel Movie Revolution (starting with X-Men). Didn't he do a lot to help tie some properties together?

Did he get shut out of the Avengers wave of movies or something?

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never liked the idea of Spidey as an Avenger. Wolverine as well, for that matter

4. Mr. Adventure

I think Avi's comments aren't that surprising given the properties are all in different hands. It's easy to say Spider-Man would be a stunt when it's unlikely to ever happen.

I agree with you there though I have to admit I've never read the books with them in it. Maybe that's my age showing through and I just don't like change but I don't think of those characters as good fits for a team book like that.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

The same Wolverine whose been in the X-men for decades?

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree with the sentiment that X-Men has always worked best as entirely it's own thing.

Spidey (some version of him, anyway) on the other hand would fit into the larger MCU just fine...just not as an Avenger, or really a team of any kind. He's a loner and a street level vigilante like Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage etc. Being an underdog is rather central to who and what he is so sticking him in Avengers Tower or on the helicarrier totally undermines that.

7. Mr. Adventure

lol, I knew that was coming. Emphasis on the "like that", he was always a reluctant member of X-Men, it seems funny to be a reluctant member of even more groups. Again, I haven't read those books, maybe it totally works.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Personally, I liked the team ups in comics. My favorites being the X-Men verses Avengers storyline, the House of M arc, and the Infinity Gem saga (the one Avengers are doing currently without Spidey and the X-Men).

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More than one Helicarrier. Confirmed. Fitz said as much in AoS: "Providence", referring to their cloaking technologies.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Project Insight wasn't all that secret strangely enough, Fitz might well have known about IN01-03. RRP's could have been fitted to them, we just never saw them being used.

11. DEWLine

Fury and the rest of the World Security Council were kept successfully in the dark about Project Insight's true nature until the last one or two days before launch. The "cover story" would have been believed as fact by a wider range of SHIELD personnel, probably including Fitz.

Not sure what that means in relation to how many non-Insight 'Carriers there were/are and what their situations are...

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

About the info dump of SHIELD's, wouldn't it contain the launch orders to nuke New York without confirmation from Iron Man and his plan to send it through the portal?

Or are [they] just going to blame that move on Hydra?

13. DEWLine

If that argument between Fury and the WSC is part of the infodump, it'll make a martyr of Fury. Until he pops up alive in public again. Then, if word of his survival gets out with the best of timing, he might well be politically unassailable.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think it's safe to say that it'd take a small army, several years to sort through all of that data...still, one would think some very powerful AIs (like say JARVIS) could quickly filter through and flag up anything of pertinent interest. In short, assuming he bothers to look, it's a safe bet Stark now knows Coulson is alive.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Maybe not. In the latest episode of AoS, Skye gains access to the internet on the "bus" and deletes everything about the team.

16. DEWLine

Stark will have his own countermeasures against the likes of Skye in play. How successful they are, we won't know for a while yet.

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Being someone who has a degree in Computer Science and have done years of university research in AI at postgrad levels, Project Insight looks like something that is implemented as a piece of AI software.

Which means no hardware changes are required on any of the Helicarriers. Project Insight is just requires a simple software update. This is supported by the fact that all Cap needed to do was swap out a tiny module in the carrier's data core.

If all the above is true, it makes sense for Hydra to install Project Insight on every single Helicarrier. So it is likely that the old helicarrier has been scrapped and the 3 new helicarriers we saw are the only helicarriers Shield currently owns.

18. DEWLine

The hardware changes were self-evident. The surveillance hubs replacing the "Wishbone" components, as well as the additional gunnery systems. The Insight-class 'Carriers had to have been intended as a separate line item in the SHIELD fleet.

19. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right now all that SHIELD owns is what can be fit into super secret sleeper bases like Providence since Agent Coulson, who with Fury thought dead and others already surrendered to the FBI or dead and wounded like Agent Hand, may be the senior SHIELD agent issuing orders. And he sent out the Odyssey protocol from the Hub. Was that just for one of a few major installations thought cleared of Hydra or would the agency as a whole take the disperse and hide order?

Now its possible in some places the local agent in charge may have better relations with the local authorities then the son of Coul has with Colonel Talbot and are left alone but it is more likely that the local governments have lost faith in SHIELD's ability to police themselves much less the rest of the world and will attempt to seize SHIELD assets before the Hydra within takes them.

Just saying that if a real world stateless pirate had major warships and not a few go fast boats with a machineguns the world's navies would hunt them down relentlessly. At the moment with Hydra infiltration SHIELD looks like pirates thus have been labeled a terrorist organization by a superpower

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Even if the three new helicarriers were meant to replace earlier models, they were unlikely to be scrapped before the new ones came on line. Any older carriers were likely still in service or mothballed awaiting decommissioning.

And from Winter Soldier it appears that the second new carrier was grinding along and glancing off the Triskilion building. It may well have avoided the falling building and crashlanded, severely damaged but not written off. It would be logistically easier to rebuild it than start from scratch.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014