Jenna is Going

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Aug 17, 2014.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Companions like the Doctor come and go, sure I like her as companion but I would rather she went before she over stayed her welcome.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, sure, I mean the character, not necessarily the actor. I mean -- believe it or not, none of the actors who's played the Doctor was actually from Gallifrey!

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I'm pretty sure Tom Baker is an alien though. Ditto Matt Smith.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Doctor Who is an English show and really should remain that way, even Janet Fielding argued against American and Australian companion saying that we all love Doctor Who for it's Britishness. And for that matter why can't we have an Irish companion or a Welsh companion?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure you mean Welsh. ;)

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If it was an English show, how can you have a Scottish Doctor and a Scottish companion (more than one even)? British surely...

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Three Scottish Doctors to date, Scottish show runner, filmed in Wales, conceived by a Canadian with an Indian as its first director.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

You have a link to back that up, or are you just making an assumption ;)

Really, a 1 Series companion isn't that unusual. Martha only lasted a single Series, and Donna guested in the Christmas Special, then replaced Martha, and only lasted a Single Series. If Jenna makes it through the whole of Series, she will have outlasted both of them in Episodes

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Depending on how Capaldi's Doctor develops, it seems possible he won't even want a young girl around the next time.

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

And then we have a show with an older looking Doctor and his middle-aged/older woman companion? I don't think so. Not unless she comes with an adventurous scamp of a son or daughter.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

All part of the British Empire at one point, and currently part of the commonwealth.

Was there ever a point where England tried to extract itself from Britain?

I think it would be funny watching the other three trying to get along once they can't complain about England being a ####.

12. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

From what's been known so far it strikes me that the Doctor/companion relationship this time is similar to the Sixth/Peri, with less violence of course. Argumentative most of the time, although they do sort of care deep down. Although I think Jenna was hired for her chemistry with Matt Smith, wheras Nicola Bryant was pretty much meant to be the new Doctor's companion from the start.

Hopefully we don't end up with a new Mel though.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

See - English !

I'd be happy enough with that. Might lose viewers though.

There's a groundswell of opinion that way. It's going hand in hand with the 'If Scotland wants to go, let 'em' attitude...

Anyway, Jenna going - to be expected, and I won't miss her like I have Karen Gillan...

14. Christopher

Rubbish. It's an "English show" whose co-creator was Canadian, whose iconic theme music was written by an Australian, and whose first serial had an Australian writer, an Indian director, and a Polish production designer.

Just because Britain is an island, that doesn't mean it has to be insular. London is one of the most cosmopolitan and multicultural cities in the world -- since, after all, it wasn't so long ago that it was the capital of a global empire -- so it actually would make the show more British if it embraced more nationalities.

15. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless the writers really have a good understanding of the cultural differences, there would be little point. It would just be a similar character with a different skin color and funny accent - or worse, a different character based on inaccurate stereotypes.

16. Christopher

Understanding is something you acquire, not something you're born with. It's always possible to research something you need to write about. Or to consult with people who are knowledgeable about the subject. Both of these are things that writers do all the time. Or, they could just hire writers who are already familiar with the culture in question.

The actor/actress could help too. Say, they cast a Chinese-English actress with parents who emigrated from Hong Kong, and who's been there and knows a lot about the culture. The actress could help the writers and directors keep things accurate. There are a lot of ways it could be done. It's not impossible, it just requires not being lazy and not hiding behind excuses for the status quo.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

You're missing my and Janet Fielding's point, we all love the show for it's Britishness there's no need to start removing that to make the show appeal to overseas viewers. And relly that's all you're asking for greater appeal to you and you alone, but we all became Doctor Who fans because of it's Britishness, it's a show about an English eccentric. They put the show out and we have to accept what they give us. It's kind of funny in the TV movie after a cop listened to the Doctor, Grace simply says "He's British" as though that's meant to his oddness.

We aren't going to get a radical change chances are good we'll get a young(although any companion would be younger than Capaldi) possibly female companion and we'll meet her family, she'll have a dead end job and leave the Doctor is sudden ending after losing their romance of travelling with the Doctor.

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    And good riddance. She's like Worf in Star Trek - originally somewhat interesting until she ate the show.

Seriously - inserting her into Adric's scenes in Castrovalva?

What a lot of stupid retconning they did with her.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Indeed it'd be easier for them to give him an alien companion, then they can't get the society or languages or customes wrong. WE haven't had an alien companion since Turlough maybe it'd be nice have one next season or have two companions one human and one alien.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

After indulging in the leaked materials, I have a pretty good idea of how this season might go and who they might replace Jenna with, at least short term. Depends on the circumstances of the Clara and/or
    's departure.

Moffat likes his tragic endings.

The 2nd episode of the season introduces Clara's love interest Danny (a shattered soldier) as well as showing us a Human(probably?) soldier girl from a Dalek conflict in the future who the Doctor regretfully rejects as a companion due to her soldieriness.

I could see Moffat giving either Clara or Danny a tragic end, therefore endearing Danny to the Doctor enough to make him realize that being or having been a soldier doesn't necessarily make a person unfit for his particular mentorship/affection.

Cue the Doctor picking up our future soldier girl (relative) moments after rejecting her, having changed his mind.