Will ST3 be more like a big budget version of Movies I-VI?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

one thing ive been thinking lately is as ST09 and STID are more 'TOS' 60s trek in regards to the whole design, look and feel (uniforms, equipment, nancells, sound FX, lighting, logo etc) then maybe the third one will be more movie 80s trek inspired in relation to all that stuff

Obviously there were a lot of references, nods etc to the movies in ST09 & STID but really they are big budget updatings of the 60s tv show - telling the origin that was never told (even though it was an alternate origin) and Space Seed rebooted (with a heavy does of Trek VI and Trek II). so perhaps ST3 might be like a big budget updating of the 80s original crew movies I-VI (or more specifically I/II/III/IV) telling the untold ‘Lost Years’ story post 5 year mission - the beginnings of the movie era (with 'Ongoing' filling in the 5 year mission years - so we'll see them at the time we never did in TOS - after the 5 year mission, just like the way we never saw the characters come together/begin the 5 year mission in TOS until ST2009 - at least in an alternate universe way) or even post TMP/pre TWOK. the crew will be decked out in more TWOK style uniforms (with Pine sporting a thick black 'fro LOL) with similar field jackets, the look of the bridge could be less bright/more TWOK, the Ent looking more sleek like TMP Ent, the sound FX/SFX of the warps/beaming/phasers could be more movie style, mushroom style spacedock with the massive blue lit interior housing all the ships (instead of the K7 style), movie characters like Decker (Stephen Collins playing Commodor Matt Decker?), Ilia, Capt Terrel, Kruge, Savvik, Sybok and movie ships like Excelsior, Reliant, more Horner-esque music etc...maybe even use the movie font instead of TOS font on the posters/opening credits

Maybe thats what the end of the various nods/homages to I-VI in the 2 films (esp the TMP style uniforms for Marcus, Pike etc) are suggesting/foreshadowing - that the movie version of star trek has been fast tracked

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. The "look" of the AU has been pretty well established in the two movies thus far. I can't see them changing it so soon - unless the new director has a serious dislike of it.

3. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering the next movie should be about the crew at last exploring the Final Frontier on their 5 year mission I doubt there will be any major changes to the set design, costumes or props.

4. Khan 2.0

i think they will probably set it after the 5 year mission - due to TOS/Ongoing having already charted that period :)

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am happy that JJ Trek kept the uniforms from the original series. I do nothink that will change. I really do long for a story that happens with them exploring. I would like them to come into contact with a threatening alien like in TMP and Trek IV.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

...which the next movie is free to ignore.

8. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

I'm with starburst, they built up to the 5 year mission. Disposing of that with a nod would feel anticlimactic. Of course there's precedent for that.

9. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They could always pull a Dark Knight Rises and set it many years later.

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, the sets can change a lot. This incarnation of Kirk might be much more capable of wrecking the ship entirely.

11. F. King Daniel

They would appear to have been random, pre-5YM adventures (which just happened to be places the old Enterprise visited on their 5YM), since the first picks up shortly after the end of '09 and CTD ends with them going to Nibiru.

12. Khan 2.0

they'll have to do that if only to account for the cast aging

13. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

All this talk about uniforms and appearances reminds me ...

The Enterprise's bridge set was repainted and re-built into the Vengeance bridge. Could this be a new bridge for the Enterprise in ST3?

14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. We already saw the Enterprise bridge at the end of STiD. It was the same as the old one.

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not a good indication. The bridge set was rebuilt for Into Darkness rather than kept from the first movie; no reason they couldn't build v1.2 for the next movie.

16. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

That sounds quite amazing, where did you get that from?

17. ATimson

One of the featurettes on the Into Darkness Blu-ray (pretty sure it was one of the Target exclusive pieces).

18. F. King Daniel

I'm sure they meant it was taken out of storage and reassembled rather than built from scratch. In an article in article in this e-mag they talk about not having all the reassembly instructions.

19. ATimson

There's also a time-lapse video. It certainly looks like new construction, not reassembly... but I don't remember the dialogue well enough to assert that for certain. :)