Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what you get from going by memory after your past middle age.

And yes I really liked Matter of Honor.

2. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to several Dutch retailers, the second season will be released on the 21st of november in The Netherlands together with the yet to be released first season.

3. mswood

Interesting. I would love it then instead of December.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Cool. That means we would get some early reviews from fans before the official US release.:lol:

5. mswood

Or heck they might bump up the US release, either is good as long as they don't repeat the production issue of the first season.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think they have learn their lesson. They know fans will really get out the pitchforks and torches if they mess up again!:klingon:

7. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Dutch BD release schedule is screwed up. For one, we only get the first season on BD months after its worldwide release. Now we get season 2 ahead of everyone else. I doubt Holland will be the only country though. I know the UK will see it released on 10th of december, but maybe other European countries like France and Germany will also see their release on the 21st of november.

And, yes, maybe CBS is deliberately releasing this in a smaller market to check what fans think of the product before releasing it in the larger US and UK markets.... :confused:

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think they are going to be testing the waters a bit before releasing it in the big countries like US and UK.

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Anyone got any new info on the as yet to be announced super duper awesome secret special feature on the season 2 set?

10. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

FrontierTrek from TrekCore posted a while back that he had some info on this but wasn't at liberty to reveal it. He has an interview with CBS in the pipeline that might discuss this but at the moment nobody who is willing to talk seems to know anything.

11. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Hoping that interview happens soon. Any idea when we might see it?

12. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was supposed to be up a week or two ago, so hopefully soon.

13. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey guys. CBS Digital still have the interview transcript - I'm waiting for validation from them. I spoke with them on Friday and they apologized it's taking so long. Hopefully this week.

I'll also be interviewing two of the execs at CBS in charge of the project tomorrow, so if you have any (sensible) questions, let me know within the next 24 hours.

14. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Not sure if anyone's ever asked CBS what the deal was with the weird cropping of "Sins of the Father" on the sampling disc? I know one theory is that it was cropped for a 16x9 test but then (accidentally?) cropped from that back to 4:3, but not sure if there was ever an official word on the subject, or whether it would be fixed for the season 3 set.

15. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The cropping was just a result of the steep learning curve the team had to traverse at the start of the project. I've been told that apart from the 13 seconds of missing footage found that will be reinserted, the episode won't be changed for Season 3.

16. StewMc

Bit disappointing, I can only assume that the reason for that is that they don't have an uncropped version saved, and would have to rescan the negatives again? I suppose its not the end of the world, the only reason I noticed originally is because the production credits after the opening titles were so close to the bottom of the image.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Which is weird. Did they crop the image after adding the new opening titles?

18. StewMc

Good question. If they had added them after the crop, presumably they wouldn't be as far down, unless they were using the original tape version of the episode as a kind of trace so that they appear in the same position and at the same time as the originals. But if that were the case you'd think someone would clock at that point that something major was wrong with the cropping of the new transfer. And, IIRC, not every shot is cropped is it, I think footage that has FX is uncropped?

Don't suppose we know if CBS are keeping the scanned raw footage files after they have finished each episode?

19. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

We know they're keeping them, or we wouldn't have seen images like this:

[​IMG]

What's commonly done is that the ENTIRE Full Camera Aperture is scanned at 2K (2048 x 1556) and then they make their 1440 x 1080 cropped version from that. So, in the case of "Sins of the Father" CBS is just being stubborn about it -- refusing to re-adjust the framing for the episode. They consider it done... probably because most of the episode doesn't get any tighter than "action safe", so they feel justified in leaving it alone -- even though it's inconsistent with the VFX shots in the episode and every other episode they're doing.

20. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Extremely disappointed that they're not fixing it. Sure they have a schedule to keep, but come on.