STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's just hope he doesn't part too wide.

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Never said I was enlightened. I just pointed out a simple truth, not an absurdity, and certainly not deserving of a claim of racism. I don't appreciate it.

3. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And I never called anyone by name, nor did I quote any one specific post.

Nice talkin' to ya though. :cool:

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

So how about that STiD, eh?

5. topas

topas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

6. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's an even easier one - these are stories. One group of people told the first version, now another group of people are telling a different version. All of this tail-chasing about universes is tiresome. Why does this matter to anyone?

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Because some people depend on the illusion that ST universe is real.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Quoted for Truth.

9. Deck 1 - Bridge

Deck 1 - Bridge Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does Khan live?

I'd suggest this movie is a positioner for the 3rd movie.

On another, somewhat more predictable note, perhaps people should see the movie first before bowling in with opinions based on the views of the 6 people who did see it. I expected spoilers but not the misinformed diatribes rolling through this thread. It's so depressing to see this.

This is how it is now, how Trek was didn't work in the final analysis because of things like Insurrection and Nemesis. That's just the reality of the movie business I guess.

10. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Charlie Chan was played by white guys but that doesn't mean Hollywood should make a modern Charlie Chan movie and cast Cumberbatch in the role.

Khan in Space Seed was presented as an Indian even if the producers didn't bother to cast an Indian actor -- that was par for the course back then, but that was the same era that gave us Mickey Rooney playing a Japanese man in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Society has moved on since then, and whitewashing is no longer acceptable.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

In one episode, they didn't say crap about his ethnicity in the moviethe majority of people are more familiar with.

12. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's the way I look at it (and I'm not a fan of recasting, AT ALL). This is Star Trek. Actors are reused and replaced all the time. We're expected to believe that John Frederick Paxton and Admiral Marcus are two different people, even though they're both Peter Weller. We're expected to believe that Nick Locarno and Tom Paris are two different people, even though they're both played by Robert Duncan McNeill. We're expected to believe Admiral Forrest and Alpha Hirogen are different, even though they're both played by Vaughn Armstrong.

On the other hand, we're also to believe that Saavik looks like both Kirstie Alley and Robin Curtis, Captain James T. Kirk looks like both William Shatner and Chris Pine, and that Zefram Cochrane looks like both Glenn Corbett and James Cromwell. The point is, as long as one character (in this case, Spock Prime) recognizes John Harrison as being Khan Noonien Singh, even though Benedict Cumberbatch looks nothing like Ricardo Montalban, shouldn't we just accept it? Because, if there's anybody in the Alpha Quadrant who is most qualified to recognize Khan, it's Spock Prime. After all, he was killed by Khan (technically, radiation poisoning, but you know what I mean).

To me, Ricardo Montalban WAS Khan, just like William Shatner was Captain Kirk. Now, to me, (at least based on trailers) Benedict Cumberbatch is Khan, just as Chris Pine is now Captain Kirk. I'm a big fan of Benedict's, and I can't wait to see what he does with the role. Trust me, they could have done A LOT WORSE. Just imagine:

Shia LaBeouf IS John Harrison :ack:

Channing Tatum IS John Harrison :barf:

Matthew McConaughey IS John Harrison :crazy:

But, tonight, I'll sleep more soundly knowing that the role of Khan is in good hands :techman:

Edit to add: One more. Kal Penn IS John Harrison

13. Ryan8bit

It's amazing that they said anything about it even once. Saying something twice would be ridiculous. "Oh hey, you're that Indian guy!" :p

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Chan was stated on many occasions to be Chinese.

Khan's actual background was never stated. There is one line of dialogue - using words like "probably" - in which McGivers speculates on his ethnicity. That's it. As far as racebending goes, this one's a non-starter, sorry.

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just curious. But were people this upset when Patrick Stewart was cast as a French Captain with a very distinct English accent?

16. Ryan8bit

You know what's funny about that line? She makes that speculation based on his looks and his dress. She does not know he is Khan at that point. I don't think anyone would ever look at Cumberbatch and say, "Oh yeah, that dude looks like a Sikh warrior from India."

So yeah, we know everything was supposed to based on his looks.

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Most importantly, does this Khan wear Corinthean leather?

18. Ryan8bit

I personally don't know. The accents don't bug me, as accents are a lot more fluid and can be picked up. I don't have any problem with Marcus having spent more time in England or same with Khan. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Khan spent lots of time in England in the past. It's quite possible that in the future English accents spread more into France? That doesn't really bug me at all.

19. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

If this was a complete reboot them a white Khan would be fine, however it is not.
    So time travelling Romulans turned a three hundred year old Indian into a Northern European?

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Sure, the same way they turned Jim Kirk's eyes blue at the moment of his birth and caused everyone else in the universe to look different as well.

Khan looking different is absolutely fine for the same reason everyone else looking different is.

It's all the way it is, not the way some folks would have it be, and it's fine.