vampires

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just started reading laurell k. hamilton's anita blake vampire hunter . Book 1) guilty pleasure
    book 2) the laughing corpse
    book 3) circus of the damned
    book 4) the lunatic cafe
    I have read book 1 and reading book 2 .1 was great two keeps getting better. looking forward to the others that I got for my nook there are 16 other books in the series. I have read the trueblood books and they are great better than the tv series. read the twilight books agin better than the movies. looking for more vampire series out there any ideas. :cardie:

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

3. timothy

I saw those on my nook and put them in my wish list there were five of them.

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

What about the classic Dracula or Anne rice's books? There are also the Anita Blake graphic novels.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

It's not exclusively vampire but The Dresden Files is a great series and does have vampires in, 3 different kinds of vampires.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Kim Newman has written a great alternate history series in which Dracula took over the British Empire. It starts with Anno Dracula, which is definitely worth checking out.

7. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Although The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher aren't specifically about vampires, several novels in the series feature vampires on the sides of both good and evil, and eventually vampires become very important in the plot (not gonna spoil it though :shifty:).

8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I like the show, too.... but only because of Damon. :drool: He's super awesome. :p His brother is a cry baby, and there is no chance in hell that a real Elena would ever pick him. :rolleyes:

The books are okay, but nothing spectacular.

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Fevre Dream by George RR Martin. By far the absolute best Vampire tale I've ever read.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. Fevre Dream, which is about vampires on the Mississippi during the steamboat era, is a great book, which somebody really needs to make into a movie someday.

11. marillion

^^ Could not agree more.. I've been dying to see this on film, or at the very least, a TV mini-series...

12. timothy

found fevre dream and added it to my wish list. I was also disappointed that they had only about half of the buffy and angel series. now i have never read george r r martin how is he?

13. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the Sookie Stackhouse book series that TRUE BLOOD is based on?

SALEM'S LOT by Stphen King is probably my favorite vampire book.

And I'll give an enthusiastic second to Greg Cox's suggestion of the ANNO DRACULA books by Kim Newman. Fantastic vampire books and filled with a ton of pop culture references.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

He said he's read them in his OP.

15. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hellsing

I'd also recommend Tsukihime but the publisher of it seems to have gone under or something so I can't really. We'll probably never see the end of it here. :klingon:

16. timothy

does anyone know if the tv series being human is in book form also?

17. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

!, Interview with a vampire.

2. The Vampire Lestat

3. Queen of the Damned

4. Tale of the body thief. ( not as good but fun)

The rest of them are not the same quality though I did like Blood and gold and Pandora a lot.

The vampire Lestat is probably one of the best vamp books out there. It really gives you a feel what its like to be a vampire. It's also one of my favorite books of all time. I highly recommend them.
    By the end of the series you will be thinking Twilight what?? My vamps burst into the flames when in sunlight. They do not sparkle. Also the idea of blood tears is really cool.

18. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have vague recollections of a novelisation being written, but don't quote me on that.

My own favourite Vampire books are the 'Vampire Wars' trilogy by Steve Saville. They are fantasy novels but revolve around the machinations of a dynasty of Vampires trying to conquer the world and put the human cattle in their place.

19. marillion

Awesome.. I hope it won't disappoint!

I'm actually not a big fan of Martin's more well known fantasy works. i'm not a Fantasy Genre reader in the first place, so it has more to do with that than it does with him.

His Song of Fire and Ice series is very popular and one them, A Game of Thrones is currently being made into a mini-series, I believe..

He also worked as a story editor on the 80's Twilight Zone series as well as Beauty and the Beast.

I've met the man and he's really nice. I attended a short story writing seminar he was giving back in the mid 80's and bought Fevre Dream for him to sign.

20. timothy

:evil:where does the witches series coinside with lestate and is there going to be a finish cause I found them on my nook and put them in my wish list. and what about a buffy reluach in novel form as well as angel relaunch?:evil: