Resident Evil 5

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PKerr, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

I agree about this one. If I had never played a Resident Evil game I'd think it was scary. I'd say this game is intense, not scary. Resident Evil 4 was so intense it was scary. There was some really freaky moments in that one. That opening scene alone, when the entire village attacks you, made me crap my myself.

So far I've played to the helicopter crash. It's a decent game. But I'd compare this one, so far anyway, to Resident Evil 3 to RE4's RE2. Both 2 and 4 were such innovations of gaming, such leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessors, such achievements of the visual narrative, that the follow up just seemed like more of the same. Because, to me, it's just Resident Evil 4 with nicer graphics and a less creepy setting. Just goes to show that if you want a decent RE game, go with Chris and Jill. But if you want an amazing RE game, go with Leon and Claire.

Because if Leon's in it, then it's guaranteed to have Ada in it as well. Another plus in Leon's column.

I think it was good that they made the partner not nearly as annoying as they usually are in games. Most of the time, they're just there to be saved at the expense of fun, like Ashley who was the weakest part of RE4. Sheva can handle herself and doesn't need saving every 3 seconds, which is good. However they really needed more combat commands for her other then Cover(i.e. stand back and blow through all my handgun ammo like Chow Yun Fat) and Attack( i.e. run in like a maniac and get killed and waste all my shotgun ammo while you do it). Other then that I have no problem.

The inventory system is awful and makes me long for the simplicity of the magically connecting trunks in the save room. Only being able to access your inventory after a section is so frustrating. Combined with the autosave, where if you screw up you can't go back to a previous save and correct it, it's enough to make one give up on the game. I don't know why some people seem to like it.

2. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Seconded. I've been playing Resident Evil since the original came out on the PS1 (I'm talking about the pre-dual shcock, pre directors cut version). While I kiss the puzzle solving aspect of the franchise, There is no doubt in my mind that the gameplay and controlls needed to evolve in order for the franchise to remain relelvant. The old way of playing the games just wouldnt cut it today. Now I would like for them to tap into some of the old aspects that made RE special (such as theexploration) but lets not abandon the good that has come from the change

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I have to slightly disagree. The remake of the first game for the Gamecube is also amazing, so that logic doesn't exactly hold up.

4. Thrall

Ok, you got me there. But Leon has Ada, so that's still a plus by my book.:lol:

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I hated the Castle levels of RE4 - especially the level where she had to be saved and the cultists just kept coming.

6. OdoWanKenobi

Not to mention that Code Veronica is decent and it has Claire. But it also has Chris so they should average out to very good. Ok, I'll shut up.:lol:

7. Thrall

True, but honestly the game didn't start to pick up until Chris showed up.

8. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

To date, I've played almost every Resident Evil game that has been released (with the exception of Resident Evil 1.5), and I must say, if Capcom wanted to make one last great game in the Resident Evil franchise, they needed to keep some things from previous games.

I remember the first time I played Resident Evil 1 on the PS1, I was about 8 years old and played it around my sisters house with her boyfriend, and it scared the shit out of me. The Resident Evil games that have been released now, don't scare me so much anymore, but then again I'm 21 now, and my tolerence for horror games and films has gone right up because I played Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 at such a young age.

But when it comes to change, I would honestly rather play alone than have a CPU partner with me, it's a good idea, but I just like getting things done on my own and not have to worry if she's running near a barrell I want to explode and I haven't come to a checkpoint in a while.

Also the typewriters, why take them away? It still worked in Resident Evil 4, it worked in every other Resident Evil game, why not this one? I prefered playing the game and saving whenever I wanted to, I like having a challenge in a Resident Evil game of not saving through the entire game (although granted, Resident Evil 5 has A LOT of 1 hit kill monsters which can be frustrating). The same with the inventory system from Resident Evil 4 was revolutionary and I thought if anything they would want to keep that as much as they could, they could have still assigned the D-pad to work with what they wanted, albeit it would have been slighty different.

Also, I know it's slightly petty, but where/who the hell am I selling all these artifacts and buying weapons from? Atleast RE4 explained this (in a very comical style).

Lol, it's off topic slightly, but at the very end of the game when Jill looks at Chris when before he says it was worth saving, doesn't she look fuck ugly? I mean jesus she was fit in the third game, and had some bags under her eyes in the remake of 1, but she just looks horrid in this game.

9. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I sort of atribute that to the condition she was under just prior to you seeing her. She looked fine in the flashbacks so it was probably the

spoilers

mind control device that made her look pale and sickly. [She did still have a fit body though ;)

10. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

She did yeah, but your spoiler tags didn't work :P

11. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah i know, they must have changed the code or something so i decided to just put in some spaces

12. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

:p.

By the way, going back 2 pages or so now. I tried the egg trick and it worked like a charm,the only problem is that I can never seem to find a rotten egg, and the only place I know a chicken spawns he always craps out a white or a brown, never a golden egg.

Ooh, playing Professional now with basic guns and no unlimited ammo WITH the AI. Got to 2-2 and I'm shitting my pants.

13. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

In chapter 3-1 there is an island in the middle of the giant lake thats filled with chickens. You have a decent chance of getting one there. Ive also seen 2 gold eggs spawn in the section of that level where you have to do the assist toss in order to get the door plate. That being said, In 6 full play throughs and 2 partial play throughs, I've only seen the golden egg spawn 3 or 4 times. Rotten eggs are a little easier to get but they arent all that common either and you seem to have to get them from enemies or snakes

You're just a sicko who enjoyes pain and frustration arent you? :p

14. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

16. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Sorry to double post, but I got very annoyed yesterday. I waited for like 25 minutes and finally got a golden egg, so I decided to waste time and do the egg trick to get a bit of cash, and then I ended up with around 150,000 (which takes 4 attempts to get with 45 eggs on Sheva), I upgraded the handcannon and went on to 5-2 (I think!!) to fight Wesker and Jill to get one of the achievements. On the way, guess what drops... A rotten egg.

Just my luck.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

did a system linkup yesterday with a friend and we did several achievements (43 out of 50 now)....

* Obtain all available weapons

* Egg Hunt

* Jumping headshot

* Gattling Gun 30 kills

* Bulls-Eye

* Obtain all treasures in the game.

Also did game in under 5 hours to unlock infinite Rocket Launcher and got all but 1 figurine because Capcom thought it would be clever to have to get S grade on all chapters before I am allowed last one :rolleyes:

18. OdoWanKenobi

Well, you could just get S grades on amateur. That's really not hard at all.

19. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

I completed the game again yesterday but I wasn't checking my rankings, I was just playing around with the Gatling gun and I had like 13% accuracy (which somehow equated to an A rank) and the rest was an S, which bought it all down to an A.

20. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral