Resident Evil 5

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PKerr, Mar 14, 2009.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picked it up last night and so far I'm enjoying it.

The first thing I noticed is the graphics, absolutely gorgeous.
    Between the cut scene's and the game they are virtually seamless.

The actual game play is a bit different than I'm used to but it's pretty easy to figure out.

I'm not too far into is so far because I'm pretty much getting my ass handed to me, might have to bump it down to medium.

2. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Not got it yet, saving some cash up first.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious because I loved RE4 but I'm not really into multiplayer (don't even have X-Box Gold right now) and am wondering what people think of this game as a single player experience because I get the sense that this game might not be too fun that way.

4. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Rented it ... ugh, I'm not having much fun with it.

It's beautiful, yes, but it feels VERY clunky to play. I *detest* not being able to move and aim at the same time. I understand that the choice was deliberate to "enhance tension", but it doesn't do that for me at all, it just enhances annoyance and feels really, really cheap.

I guess I'm just not a fan of RE type gameplay. Maybe it's for others, not me.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

To be honest I'm going to wait a few weeks then give this a rental (maybe then buy if I like it).

6. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Completed it about an hour ago, it was a really good game, but slightly annoying. Capcom also stated that they would "wrap everything up" as this was going to be the last Resident Evil game in the main series as we know it (obviously the spin offs like Dark Chronicles or what ever it's called doesn't count towards a main series game), and the whole series would be rebooted.

But I felt there were more questions than anything else, we find out what happened to 3 of the original 6 S.T.A.R.S members (Brad Vickers died in Resident Evil 3, while Wesker is still at large), but there is no mention of Barry Burton or Rebecca Chambers. You do find out Umbrella's origins and why Tricell are involved, what happens to Ozwell Spencer and the most of the Umbrella executives, but nothing to do with former S.T.A.R.S members, or Billy Coen etc.

So really, it didn't wrap things up for me at all, infact it left me wanting a 6th game in the main series. Major flaws though: not being able to move while shooting or reloading can be VERY frustrating, and the AI of your companion if you're playing offline can sometimes be retarded.

Other than that, good game :).

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I completed it earlier today on CO-OP and overall it was a good game though ad some issues. Playing Ressie 4 on Wii at moment and not decided if its better or not though like most RESSIE games the plot is laughable but gameplay pretty fun for most parts. I plan to do a gamespot review later and most likely 8 or 8.5 will be score.

8. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm doing single player only as my first play through and Sheva's AI is pretty good. It's not perfect, but she does a decent job of covering your back and healing you. The one thing that really annoys me is that she will only use pistols until she runs out of ammo, even if there is a large group and a more powerful weapon would be better.
    Edit: Also she doesn't really try to conserve ammo, she'll keep on shooting an enemy even when you could run up and melee attack them.

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

That's an AI for you.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

For some reason it wouldn't let me edit but I had to post this.

That they brought back Jill Valentine - as a Bioweapon controlled by Wesker.

11. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

I gave her the rifle...
    Works like a charm, she kills enemies from far away, especially handy when you are on the airboat level...

12. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll have to try that the next time I play. I usually just give her a submachine gun since I always have tons of extra ammo for it and I never see her pull it out unless she runs out of pistol ammo.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Been playing for achievements today got 32 out of 50 so far, think I will be happy if I reach 40 :). Mercernaries mode is fun with a friend though having infinte ammo on some weps unlocked is good when you just want to chill out.

14. T.Geiger

T.Geiger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The AI has two modes, Attack (Offensive) and Cover (Defensive). The default is Cover. If you switch it to Attack, Sheva will become much more aggressive and start at the top of her weapon list instead of the bottom. I haven't played with it on for long periods, so I cannot comment as to whether that would be a good idea or not. You make the switch by holding the "partner" button and selecting the mode with the D-pad.

If you liked RE4, chances are you will like RE5 also. It plays roughly the same. The game is better on co-op if you have a good friend who has the same play-style as yourself. As far as I've played into the game, the AI has only been a hindrance when I don't want to kill an enemy just yet. :)

15. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well, got my hands on the game today and I must say that it is a great game. The only downside is that, it seems as if they've cut out nearly EVERYTHING that makes the game feel like a resident evil game. Exploration (something that was lacking in RE4) is now completely gone, as is the excellent inventory management system from RE4. Something else that shocks me is that managing your AI controlled buddy in RE5 is much more tedious than it was back in 2003 in RE Zero. In RE Zero you had the ability to tell the AI to stay put as well as directly manage what weapons the AI could use. Also, in other resident evil games you had the ability to directly use herbs if you did'nt have the inventory space to pick it up. That feature is no longer present RE5. Another aspect of RE Zero that would have worked great in RE5 was the item drop feature. It would also have made inventory managment less of a chore but this feature is gone as well (I dont remember if it was present or not in RE4, I dont think it was).

Anyways, the game is still really fun. It just seems that in some ways the developers lost their way in making RE5 and forgot that combat wasnt the only aspect of the franchise that drew people in. On the contrary, it was the puzzles and exploration that made the games. It would be great if in future games they find a way to balance that exploration aspect with the combat aspect and newer controls.

16. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

wasn't it accused of being racist?

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

N'gai Croal wrote an editorial on his former blog about the trailer the images associated with the game - a white man shooting savage black people.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

This is the most action type RES game ever (excluding flash gun games) but its the accumlation of all previous stories, RES 5 is the end of the plot that started back in RES 1 so I can understand all the action. Also apparantly the producer of RES 5 came out and said RES 6 could be some sort of re-boot for the franchise.

19. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

That kinda disappoints me. If this is "The End" then I would have really liked to have the whole main cast there. It doesn't seem "epic" enough for the the end of this storyline.

20. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling this really wont be the end. After all, there are still places for the franchise to go and there is already 1 new game confirmed in this setting; Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles.