Resident Evil 5

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PKerr, Mar 14, 2009.

1. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This whole racism thing is silly. They're zombies. They're trying to kill Sheva and me. I'm going to kill them before they kill me. I would be doing the same thing if they where any other race (and I did to those Spanish zombies in Resident Evil 4 and I will to whatever race the zombies will be in Resident Evil 6).

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the imagery as it related to American depictions of blackness. Apparently there's a scene where a gang of black men attack a white woman? In any context, that image is going to be charged with racial overtones.

3. CommodoreKong

That does happen but they're not really attacking her, they're forcing her to take a parasite and become a zombie. You're then forced to kill all of them.

Actually I'm pretty sure the same thing happens a little bit earlier with a black man being forced to become a zombie.

Both of those actually happen really early in the game (I think the black man might even be the first zombie you fight). To me the scenes weren't really racist at all, they were just showing people getting infected.

Actually I would have to say that one of the most racist things in the game is when you're going through areas of tribal Africans. They wear the stereotypical tribal clothing and attack you with spears while you're mowing them down with guns. However they were infected and I had no problems killing them just like any other zombie.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Next thing you know they'll say it depicts sexual assault. Please note: the same was suggested with Silent Hill Two and Pyramid Head.

It does in the beginning.

5. firehawk12

It's not intent - because I do believe that Capcom isn't out to be racist - it's just that it uses imagery used previously in a far different content.

From what I understand, the game itself is about colonialism and the exploitation of Africa by white people... it's just the savage Other has been an image used to perpetuate racism for a long time.

6. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Actually I think its one of the white zombies that drags in the white chick.

Anyways, I have a question. I beat the game. i got all the medallions. And yet the game didn't unlock all of the secrets that should have been unlocked. I checked my achievements and it said out of all the levels I played, the ONLY one i didnt beat was 5-3. Did anyone else get this glitch or know why that would happen? The game also didnt give me the achievment for beathing the game on normal yet I got the achievment for beating both bosses in 5-3 as well as for beating 6-1 through 6-3 :confused:

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

can someone IM me the spoliers, i Love the story line, but don't like playing the games, not a single one of them has a decent controll scheme

8. CommodoreKong

I agree that some of the images in the game do have some racially charged histories, but hopefully everyone will be able to move past that (and I would imagine that everyone who has played it will) but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 24/7 news networks makes a huge deal over RE5 to kill time.

9. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Alrighty, I PMed you some spoilers :)

10. firehawk12

Well, regardless of intent, I think it's still worthy of study or at least analysis. The "games are just games" argument is a huge disservice to the power of the medium and reduces a tremendous effort to a series of metaphorical dick jokes. :lol:

11. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Either way, I don't think Capcom are ever going to give a fuck about racism, it's stupid that gaming companies tip-toe around matters that they fear they'll be criticised for doing so.

12. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

And yet there are more games where the white man attacks people with a darker skin colour...
    No furor/protests about those...

13. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got it Monday afternoon and I'm making my way through it very slowly. Right now, I'm on 3-1. So far, I love the game. It feels a lot different than the others in the series and this one is proving to be a huge challenge, but a lot of fun to play.

I haven't had the chance to try the multiplayer or co-op modes yet, though.

14. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

You should try Veteran mode.

15. firehawk12

I can't think of any off hand... but the games I play either involve aliens or Nazis.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well yay. My save data randomly decided to erase itself. Of course, just as soon as I get the best weapons in the game. Well, at least I can run though it again quickly on amateur and then do the egg glitch to get back my money and weapons.

17. firehawk12

What's the egg glitch?

18. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Yeah what's the egg glitch?

19. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It's exploiting the save system. It's essentially item duplication (works with everything but guns) it's just called the egg glitch becuase rotten eggs are the most valuable item you can do it with. It has to be done in co-op.

1. Acquire a rotten egg.
    2. Remove all items but the rotten egg from Both Chris and Sheva's inventories.
    3. Start chapter 2-1 (works best becuase it has the shortest wait time before playing)
    4. As soon as you can, start split-screen co-op
    5. On the item management screen move Chris's egg to Sheva.
    6. When you get back to the game, have Sheva give the egg back to Chris.
    7. Exit the game. Save Chris's item data, but do NOT save Sheva's.
    8. Repeat from step 3 until you have 45 rotten eggs (the max you can carry) on Chris,which can be sold for $90,000
    9. After this you can keep giving the 45 eggs on Sheva over to Chris as much as you like as long as you never save Sheva's item data.

What is happening is that all of the eggs that player 2 (sheva) gives to player 1 (chris) are being saved onto Chris's item data, and when you do not save Sheva's data she keeps the eggs she was carrying, allowing you to keep sending eggs over to Chris infinitely.

20. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Folks aren't suggesting that games can't be racist, or that it's okay for games to be racist because they're "just games", they're suggesting that RE5 isn't racist, and I tend to agree with that assessment. Certainly the game doesn't exist in isolation, there's an established cultural and historical context in which it's presented and that context can affect the reactions of players to the game, but that fundamentally remains a concern of the audience, not the game itself. So far as it is or should be a concern for Capcom at all, it's a financial one. Accusations of racism in RE5, or racist intent on Capcom's behalf, can't be supported with reference to RE5 alone. The falling tree does make a sound. :lol: