LOST numbers are worth $150

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lindley, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Just for fun I bought a Virginia MegaMillions ticket today. I didn't play the LOST numbers----4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42----because that would have been silly.

Or so I thought. The numbers drawn were:
    4, 8, 15, 25, 47, and mega ball 42.

According to the rules anyone who played the LOST numbers would have matched 3 plus the mega ball, which is a $150 prize....

2. Lindley

Actually, something is bugging me about the whole Mega Millions situation. The odds of hitting the jackpot are approximately 1 in 176 million. The jackpot itself is 355 million.

So why wouldn't a billionaire just buy 1 of every possible combination and be guaranteed to double his money? Plus all of the smaller prizes he'd get as well.....

3. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that's pre-taxes and if you take the lump sum it's even less, if you don't take the lump sum it would take forever to make back the investment.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

VA has a law that limits the time one can spend occupying a lottery machine...20 minutes per costumer. So it would take a bunch of people coordinated to buy all the combinations...not saying it couldn't be done...just don't think anyone would bother. Plus the jackpot is $355 million...the cash prize would be little more than half of that...then there are taxes. A billionaire could make more money by just investing the amount they would have spent on buying tickets.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

You will only get $80-$100 million for a lump sum.

Funny that I could have won $150!

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugh... I didn't win anything. I've never even gotten a megaball right. I didn't play the Lost numbers because I thought it was stupid as well.. apparently not.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wow! The jackpot is really huge right now.

How much did Hurley win in his lottery?

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

$114 million dollars

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Besides the reasons already given, I guess there is the finite probability of having to share the winnings with someone else who entered the same winning numbers -- or several other biliionaires who had the same idea.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That happened on an episode of The Mentalist. To trick someone into thinking he could get pick any horse race with 100% accuracy, he bought every possible outcome. He did it to solve a crime, but it cost him a lot of money in the process.

11. Lindley

There was a similar story in a Mathnet episode except the scam artist was smarter----he didn't actually buy tickets, he just sent different predictions to a bunch of different people, and followed through with more predictions for those people to whom he'd sent winning race predictions. Eventually one person had gotten every winning prediction and trusted him completely to handle their money....

12. bigdaddy

if you picked the LOST numbers you MIGHT have won $150. The first 5 numbers are picked from the same group of balls. The power ball is picked from another group of balls. Meaning you can pick 2 4 6 8 10 and then 10 again.

I think....

13. Lindley

The drawing has already occurred.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Around the time that the episode Numbers first aired here, the numbers in the Irish lottery were 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 24 (which is 42 backwards). That creeped me out at the time.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somebody in my state won (WA) too bad it wasn't me. Another person from Idaho won too. Bah, 5 bucks squandered.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

retarded if you play the Lost numbers. Sure, there's a 1 in 176 million chance of hitting, but you want to be the ONLY one to hit it, not one of 20,000 people. It's one of the most popular lottery number combos around, playing them would just guarantee a big split.

17. Lindley

You don't split the smaller prizes though, which is what you would have gotten in this case.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

understood, but since winning the small prize isn't the goal of buying the lottery ticket, why would you play those numbers? Terrible odds at prizes, but without the big payout if you actually defy the odds and hit it big...

19. bigdaddy

Yeah 40,000 people played the LOST numbers, if they actually came up you would get less than $10,000 BEFORE taxes.

However no one probably thought they would win $150, so I doubt they are complaining. It would have been awesome if 40,000 people would have had to split the jackpot.