Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Jul 30, 2012.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's not how I interpreted it. I took it as the retail versions will be replaced, so if you're going out to purchase a set you can identify the corrected version.

It would be nice if we got a replacement set though, as that would mean that we would have both variation of the boxart and possibly more corrections (episodes not on the discs that contain audio errors). I find this unlikely though, as this would cost more to produce (3 discs vs 6 discs + packaging) and to ship in addition to possibly losing sales as people try to resell the original release with the errors.

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

All good points, I think it'll almost certainly be a 3 disc replacement program.

3. Glommer

Glommer Cadet Newbie

So the release date of the steelbook set has been pushed back to August 30th, according to the german Amazon site.

Still no further information, the german customer service (mail) didn't really know anything about the audio issue...

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Information from Play.com:

5. Kryten

Kryten Ensign Newbie

Good to see that from Play but has anyone heard anything from HMV (online) where I bought my copy? I assumed that above UK e-mail address would get an automated reply to messages but clearly not.

6. picard_2305

picard_2305 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yea I got this email as well. Cool

7. Asbo Zaprudder

I've always found Play's after-sales service to be very good, unlike a certain fluvial-themed vendor I won't mention. As for HMV, I hear they seemed to be struggling financially, so perhaps they'll wait until customers complain loudly enough, or perhaps they'll opt to deny responsibility. There's no information on the website that I could easily discern.

8. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So we will get a replacement set, not just a couple of discs. Great news.

Amazon UK has kept quite though, as of late. Has anyone had an e-mail from them because I haven't.

9. Scotty

Play didn't do a thing to reassure customers when they complained about the issues. They kept selling the sets for days after Amazon removed them from the site. Only now, after Paramount contacted them have they send out these e-mails.

I never had any problems with Amazon and always found their service over the years examplary.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Well, Amazon.uk have made a high percentage of mistakes in my orders from them, and, when the mistakes involved multiple debits for the same transaction, they tried initially to deny responsibility. Your mileage may vary. I still order stuff from them occasionally but I always have a queasy feeling that they're going to screw up. Probably Play were waiting for confirmation as it's going to cost them to implement the replacement. I have the faulty discs but I don't expect an instant fix.

11. Kryten

Kryten Ensign Newbie

Ok the UK replacement programme is clearly different to the USA one. I would expect the other large online retailers to be automatically replacing them as well then but I'll just have to keep an eye out for an e-mail from HMV.

12. Ysmalari

Ysmalari Ensign Red Shirt

Just received this email from amazon uk:

Since you ordered this product, the manufacturer has confirmed that they have discovered technical issues with Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray. There is an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to some episodes in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. In addition, the manufacturer is taking this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.

A corrected version of this product will soon be available and we are working to ensure that you receive a replacement copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray as soon as possible.

Your complimentary replacement will be dispatched to the same delivery address as that used for your original order.

No action is needed from you and there will be no charge for this replacement.

The replacement will be sent out as soon as new stock of this item is received from our supplier. We'll send you an e-mail to confirm when your replacement has been sent, and you will be able to view the status of this order via Your Account at the top of any page on our website or use the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/youraccount/

Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

So no word of a date yet but at least I haven't had to contact them to sort it out. :)

13. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Had the same email as well, it's pretty cool Amazon are making it so simple. After all the hassle replacing the faulty Avengers discs (now there was poor quality control, 5 out of 6 sets- including the complete series one- with some sort of fault. Mostly all different as well) that's a welcome change.

14. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is bullshit. I bought mine at Best Buy, on release day, and I get SCREWED OVER.

Why should those who bought on Amazon get complete replacement sets, when others only get certain discs replaced? They're now talking about fixing other problems - what if those are on discs that are not being replaced.

Of course, I don't even know for sure if I will get replacement discs. I sent in my information, but got no confirmation it was received or acceptable to them.

I sent an email to Best Buy. I should be able to just walk into the store with my defective set and exchange it for a new one once they are available. I doubt that will happen - I recently saw a Best Buy store still selling the defective sets.

I'm get sour over this whole experience. I still can't believe they put so much time, effort and work into this and still managed to screw it up so bad.

15. inflatabledalek

I don't know how it normally works in America generally but what Amazon are doing for this in the UK is fairly unique in my experience. I've not been aware of any set with faulty discs where you just got sent an entire new replacement without asking. Even with the faulty Doctor Who Invisible Enemy release - just a one disc set- I still had to send the disc back by itself and get a replacement without a box (though they did throw in an extra free DVD as well).

16. Scotty

Before we heap praise on Amazon and Play, I think we should start by congratulating Paramount UK for this replacement program. Judging by the mail that Kryten received, this is clearly something that Paramount is making possible for customers of Amazon and Play.

17. Ysmalari

Ysmalari Ensign Red Shirt

More likely that Amazon and Play dictated this replacement scheme to CBS/Paramount. Amazon in particular is powerful enough these days that if you piss them off and they then refuse to sell your product it could well cripple your products prospects in the market.

Pure speculation though, I may be completely wrong.

18. Scotty

I doubt it. Amazon US isn't offering complete replacements. Why should they not "dictate" the program to CBS in the states? And, as many other posters mentioned, this kind of replacement scheme doesn't happen very often, certainly not in the UK. It depends on the distributor, in this case Paramount UK.

19. inflatabledalek

I think the easy way of telling who's behind it is if anyone else offers the same thing. If Play (and [insert online retailer of your choice]) also send out full replacements unprompted it's probably a CBS (or whoever distributes them in the UK on their behalf) decision, if it winds up being just Amazon it's likely something they've instigated themselves.

People who've brought from shops are going to be more buggered as they'll have to take them physically back and either get a refund or hope whatever else they have in stock is the fixed discs.

20. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I can walk into Best Buy and exchange my set, I'll be perfectly happy with that. Just don't know if that will be possible.