"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks great Dennis! I love the bridge control panels/displays and the uniforms. Looking forward to watching this progress and to seeing the finished product!

2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The set pics: That's pretty. It looks retro yet current. Very nice.

3. dayxday1000

Are those flat panel monitors or backlit transparencies?

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, because we're putting every resource and moment that we have into making the movie. :)

Yes.

One of the actors said yesterday, after looking at a couple of shots, that he loved the way that in one shot the set looks like a submarine control room and in another it looks huge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

We've completed three days of shooting on principle photography, with three more to go.

[​IMG]
    Gina Hernandez as Doctor Valerie Young in a single. Paul sits O.C. (off camera) to feed her lines. I like this pic because you can see the setup and how it looks on camera at the same time.

The screen grabs in other posts are darker than the actual footage looks. It's not quite that black.

We've been doing a fair amount of dolly work, so this won't be a static looking film.

[​IMG]
    Crewman down! Either Nicholls is slumped across his console...or the actor's gotten a look at the shooting schedule...

The flip-up panel to the right of each station is a comm panel.

The main set, now that it's complete, is large and allows for a lot of nice people movement. We try to get cross-action, with people crossing the frame, not just standing at their stations.

[​IMG]
    It's lonely at the top. Dennis, alone on the Command Deck.
    You can see my (Assistant Director's) script and notebook on the floor to the right.

[​IMG]
    Blocking a shot. I'm playing stand-in for Susan Cirrincione, who plays Lieutenant Commander January Howard. The "third eye" on my forehead was a console button that came loose, which I wore until Gina told me she couldn't take me seriously with it on.

6. dayxday1000

These shots have a nice cinematic look and feel! I'm diggin' it!

7. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

I am really looking forward to this.
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's Friday morning and we're about to head to the set to do the final day of shooting on the Command Deck. I'll miss that set.

9. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I hope you'll be saving the set for additional episodes!

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Me too. I *really* want to work with these people again.

And for the record, I'd just like to say that I, for one, welcome our new *censored* Overlord.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

I really, really want to work with these people again - but then, I always go overboard on the things I like. I want to spend months cooped up in a room all day with these people doing what we did this week, but I'm pretty sure that there would be blood on the floor after a few more days and that it would be my type.

Seriously, I'm in love with each and every one of them and most so with the folks I was sure six days ago that I would come to blows with. There are no words for what happened this week. Really.

Oh, we wrapped on the Command Deck sometime after 12 midnight this evening. - early Saturday morning. Some of us will be back after a few hours sleep to build and shoot on a second set later this morning.

12. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I'm glad y'all got along. I acknowledge the purely selfish nature of my request that you leave the possibility of producing more episodes with the same set. But try to see it my way. Tin Man is among my TOP 10 Star Trek episodes of all time, (and there are, what, over 700 of them? 5 series, 28 years, ... clearly over 600 of them... ) and Nick Cook is probably my favorite Fan Film Actor who has no professional acting background. (Phase II has a lot of pros, and STOGAM all pros, ... they are good, too). I've developed an ENTIRE WEBSITE more or less inspired by his performances, and those of his castmates, in Intrepid... my first website ever! So, for me... well, I'm really looking forward to this, even though I don't expect to see it for a year or two.

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gah!

This looks great! And I'm still chuckling over the star-base Burke chairs ... well done!

I get the impression the Command Deck consists of 'only' the two big workstations, the holo projector, and the doorway. In the third photo on your December 9th post, Dennis, the crew appears to be focused on something else, with the rest of the set behind them. Is this a set piece we don't see in the other photos, or is this just a 'fake' to make it look like they're focused on a workstation that doesn't exist? Or is it something else entirely?

Do you folks plan to use CGI to extend the set, or are you getting everything you need in-camera?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

There is a "main monitor" on the set, which the characters use occasionally. We got everything we needed in-camera. Believe me, we got far more than any of us expected or asked for. :)

We wrapped this phase of production this morning at a little past 2:00 AM. I'm going to crash before daybreak and try to sleep through the morning and afternoon before meeting up with some other folks back at the stage to pack up lights and grip equipment for pickup and then go out to dinner.

Love your avatar, Nick. God bless and hope you have a safe trip home. :techman:

15. USS Intrepid

2am? Ouch, that's even later than Friday.

Made it safe and sound as far as Heathrow. Just waiting in the connecting flight to Edinburgh now. Sleep well, and have fun tomorrow. Please give my best to everyone and tell 'em we miss 'em. Well, maybe not Sieber. ;)

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, we didn't actually leave the stage until close to 4:00 AM. The last part of the work was Maurice directing us all in second-unit stuff that covered Azra and used a lot of the crew in walk-ons. Everyone was both exhausted and pretty high.

Okay, maybe that last was fumes from the paint used to dirty down the set we built Saturday morning. And BTW, Gaitanis was remarkable...as were each and every one of you. I'll get some stills online as soon as I can.

The personal high point for me, really, Friday evening - and you know that was only because I finally touched Paul's ass. :lol:

17. USS Intrepid

Yeah you did seem to enjoy the ass touching a tad too much. ;)

4.00 am though. That's dedication!

18. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to the finished version (hopefully as paid version since there aren't the usual fanfilm strings attached).

Although that bridge will always remind me of a Trek Tardis.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Is that even possible?

Well, we wrapped around two, but we cleaned up while A-Team finished the ingest and back-ups. I have a little part of all of you forever now, on two disk drives. Oh, and someone had to videotape my rant against Gil Gerard.

That works.

20. USS Intrepid

I'm betting on Maurice. I look forward to watching it on the extras. :)