Sisko's favorite baseball team

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr_Homn, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Excluding any mention of future (from our perspective) non existent baseball teams... What is Sisko's favorite baseball team?

In Advesary he seems very excited about watching the 1964 game seven of the world series, in which the cardinals prevailed. One thing that means is that he can't be a yankees fan since they lost. Is he a cardinals fan?

But, In take me out to the holosuite, he wears a san fransisco giants hat in practice. Obviously a reference to starfleet HQ... but is it something more? Does he have an allegiance to the giants?

There is no MLB team in new orleans, otherwise, that would be the safe bet.

Does he just like teams that have beaten the texas rangers in the world series? (Cardinals and Giants) If so, why does he hate the rangers so much?

I haven't seen every episode, are there any other hints he drops about what could possibly be his favorite (MODERN DAY) team?

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    the Cubs. Because he just has that kind of sense of humor.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In rehearsals for the Holosuite ep, Cirroc Lofton wore a Braves cap because of his uncle (Kenny Lofton, who played for the Braves at that time). So I figure Avery Brooks wore a Giants cap because of some real world connection to that team.

If Avery is a Giants fan IRL, then Sisko probably is one on the show.

Lynx likes this.
  4. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always found it funny that Cirroc wore a braves cap, because Kenny Lofton played the majority of his career with the Cleveland Indians, who were bitter postseason rivals of the Braves at the time. I think that year (when "take me out to the holosuite" was made) was the only year of Kenny's career where he was on the Braves.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's so funny about that? As you said yourself Lofton was a Brave at the time. Sorta does make sense, someone from New Orleans is probably going to pick the Braves or one of the Texas/Florida teams.

Really doesn't matter too much anyways, baseball allegiances can be tricky things. I managed to be a Cub fan even though I've lived in Texas all my life.

6. sonak

it's easier to "pick" a team to follow these days, too. You're not stuck rooting for your city team because with cable packages and the internet, you can track whatever team you want. Pick the team with the coolest uniform, your favorite player, whatever.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, what made me a Cub fan was they were on every afternoon on WGN.. I live in a part of Texas, that at the time was between the Houston/Texas broadcast areas so I didn't get either team regularly. So if I wanted to watch baseball it was the Cubs... dang good marketing on their part. :p

Yeah, that's less of a factor these days given the larger cable packages. Ironically those larger cable packages were one of the nails in Trek's coffin.

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I am, naturally a Jays fan (I know, I know...don't go there),but before there were Jays (or Expos for that matter), I was, and still am a Pirates fan and Dad still loves his Cubbies.

I also always thought the advent of so many channels and packages helped bring about the demise of Trek. I always thought the channel dedicated to science fiction would be a natural fit, but I guess it is too niche a market for the kind of audience numbers that are needed to keep something on the air.

9. sonak

Yeah, I've heard that WGN created a lot of Cubs fans around the country. The same thing probably happened with the Braves and TBS in the '90s, except that the Braves were actually very good during the time they were on TBS.

10. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect that Sisko is just a baseball fan in general, and as someone pointed out upstream, he probably wore the Giants cap as a nod towards Starfleet Command.I heard that story too about how the actors could wear whatever team they wanted in the show, and how Cirroc chose the Braves. The Giants moved from New York to San Francisco in 1957, so maybe Avery Brooks was a fan? I'm assuming he grew up on the east coast, but maybe not...

11. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Avery Brooks is from my hometown (Evansville, Indiana), though I don't know if he actually grew up there. He has lived a significant portion of his life on the East Coast, but I don't know if that translates into his choosing a particular baseball cap for Benjamin Sisko.

12. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sisko would be a fan of the Pittsburgh Cowboys, because they score the most shots and make all the points. Sudden Death Touch Down!

Triskelion likes this.
  13. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

The Giants would make sense since Captain Sikso wore that hat. I mean usually i wear my favorite teams hat. I wouldn't wear another team's hat so I think its safe to say its the Giants. And wasn't Worf Willie Mays in an episode too?
    That and i think Sisko liked Jackie Robinson for some reason, at least i think he was talking about Ebbits field once, this might have been in a novel however. Maybe Millieniuem trilogy? I think it was. That makes sense he seems to like the best black ball players Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Adam Jones :)

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

He played a character named Willie, yes. But not Mays.

As for Avery's Giants cap: Did he actually wear it in the episode itself? I don't remember that...

15. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

And even in the 24th Century, they still haven't won a World Series yet.

16. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

St. Louis Cardinals. C'mon guys, the only that's America's Team

17. Catsend

Catsend Cadet Newbie

According to Avery Brooks in an interview, he's for the San Francisco Giants because all the best players played for San Francisco. His words, not mine. I also would have thought that the Cardinals would have been the closest to New Orleans, being in St. Louis.

And then there's Buck Bokai. He played for the London Kings, but he was Sisko's favorite player.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

He seemed to express fondness for the Yankees in the way he assumed the Yankees would 'wipe the floor' the holodeck simulation against the Red Sox. (Even though I'm sure he's aware of all the sabermetrics and variance and that the odds of the better team winning a single closely matched game is less than 60%).

Also he clearly liked the Kings just because of Bokai.

19. Will M.

Will M. Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

He hates the Rangers because that's a Babylon 5 thing and he's the Sisko.

20. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Brooks has also said that he is, at best, a casual fan of baseball. He exaggerated when Piller described Sisko as a huge baseball fan.

I think that if the series had been a bit bolder, Sisko's team would have been the Kansas City Monarchs.