Trek 11 at the Superbowl!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Devon, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

For unascertained reasons, the rest of the world seems to like to "join in" with us in the U.S. from time to time. We don't have a lot of major sports championships (really, the World Series (a misnomer) and the Super Bowl are pretty much it). For some reason, people like to "feel American" for a few hours or a day or so. Much more than that and it would drive them nuts, but to grab onto a little of the "little country that could", it seems many like to share in it a bit. Go fig. <shrug>

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

hey I watch the World Series, love nothing better than half sining along to the anthem and forgetting the words, or like last year, saying how bad everyone was.

3. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a tradition. Are people supposed to stop going to see 4th of July celebrations year after year because they know what Fireworks look like or what Hamburgers and Hot Dogs test like? I see no reason why they shouldn't.

Same with the Super Bowl. It IS an event and there have been some truly historic commercials in the past with this event as well as pop culture phenomenons that have formed from it (For example, I think either the famous frogs saying "Bud-wei-ser" or the "Whazzup" formed from Super Bowl commercials, I think.) The advertisers know this (obviously) and so do those viewers. It is like two sets of people are watching two different programs within the same program, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. No one is hurting anything, and if it is something people enjoy then what reason should they not watch it?

And as it was mentioned before, it is like a holiday, a chance for the family to get together or at least do something as a family.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yes where would the world be without "Wazzup" I wish that had been confined to the Superbowl.

Im not questioning the event status of the Superbowl, its the part where the ads are treated differently to regular ads that I think is strange.

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

More effort is put into them. They can sometimes be really funny, or have major stars doing funny things. Also, the major movies will use the Super Bowl to advertise. But you already knew that.

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

this maybe a silly thing to say, but if there was a superbowl ad I wanted to see I would probaly watch it on YouTube, of course its a stupid thing to say as the web was not around when the Superbowl first started.

This is some sort of culture thing, I cant picture the ads in UK sporting events (FA Cup, World Cup) attracting this kind of attention, of course the fact the games I mention on are on the BBC (at least im pretty sure they are) means there are no ads.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Won't be able to see those ads since they're blocked in the Canadian broadcast of the Super Bowl. I'll wait until they're all online. The local news networks sportscasts usually play the best ads anyways during their broadcasts...

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When is this Super Bowl on anyway ?

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

February 1 according to a quick google search

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks.

Offtopic : Is that last picture of Smith in your avatar for real or a photoshop job :guffaw:

11. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

I predict the ad will have all the "boring" parts cut from it.
    Joe Six Pack only likes explosions and sex and stuff.
    So the part with Kirk on a cycle "You were meant for something greater" GONE
    The part with Spock on Vulcan "You're a child of two worlds" GONE
    Kelvin firing weapons, that will stay
    Enterprise at warp, that will stay
    Uhura undessing, you bet that will stay
    Scotty " I like this ship, it's excitin' " that will stay
    Pretty much the rest of the AD will stay, that is if that's the AD they'll show, or it'll be a brand new ad, with that stuff in it and more FX shots, more things blowing up, more sex scenes, etc....
    I know Joe Six Pack, that's all he cares for when it comes to film trailers.
    - W -
    * You can take this to the bank even *

12. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

just another excuse to get really drunk, and It is the mose expensive time to advertise, so it meas Paramount is realy serious abou making Star Trek big.

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I have cut it down a bit, but it is real

14. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Is that a real quote??

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yes. See comment 753.

16. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. The Ads for the bowl are not made like any other ads throughout the year (though in the past few years they could have done better I think.) It isn't like these are just normal commercials selling their products, the work that goes into them are like watching 30 second to 1 minute long mini comedies, etc. These just aren't "any other ads" as anyone who watches the Super Bowl will tell you.

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

so im not going to get an apology for "Wazzup" then?

18. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

I'll have to back up others on this observation about the Super Bowl Ads....

Truth is a lot goes into the Ads, a whole lot, we're talking not just mini-comedies, we're talking mini-movies, with huge FX in them, the whole 9 yards.

We're talking let's blow several million dollars on ONE ad alone, just for the production values, and each year they top themselves with more then the year before.

A good sample would be the MacGuyver [sp] ad they did, it had explosions, stunts, and a big name star all to promote a Master Card Credit Card.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  19. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another reason people are into the Super Bowl ads is because they are almost all new; and often they will even be the launching point for new ad campaigns. It's not like one or two interesting spots mixed in with a bunch of stuff you've seen before.

That said, I still think the focus on them is a litle bit silly, but I'm glad they'll be advertising Trek, and I would be very disappointed if there wasn't significant new footage in the ad.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That would depend upon how you define "significant", really.

Consider: the theatrical trailer was about 2 minutes, twelve seconds. Most ads shown during the Super Bowl are either 30 seconds or 60, meaning it's a much smaller box they have to put things in. Assuming Trek gets a 60-second spot, that's still more than half the trailer material automatically excluded. If they put in any new content, even more of the content which might be recognizable to viewing audiences would have to go, and I'd think that they'll want to retain some of that recognizable material. What I'm guessing we'll get are two or perhaps three brief new bits, mixed in with a reshuffled assortment of the best bits already seen in the trailer(s).

But it's still only a guess. I could be completely wrong.