Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. js

js Captain Captain

This could be fun if they did one series in Wonderland, one in Neverland, one in the B&W monsters world, etc.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Tamara may be OUAT's answer to a Ghostbuster, except it's a "Magic-Buster" instead.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping that's what they're planning on doing. It would be a great way to help build the universe of the show, without stepping on the heels of the mother show.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I heard somewhere that there are legal issues with Peter Pan? Not sure if that's true.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Peter Pan is owned by a children's hospital, are you suggesting that they are looking for a loop hole to screw a children's hospital out of money?

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Doesn't Disney already have an agreement with that Hospital? Peter Pan is all over Disneyland.

8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Disney's already done an end-run around the copyrights associated with Peter Pan with regards to the publication of the Starcatchers series, having published said novels without paying royalties to Great Ormond Street Hospital. I don't know whether or not they're paying royalties for the usage of Pan-related characters and concepts in OUaT, but wouldn't be surprised if they aren't.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

10. DigificWriter

^ I'm referring to it as Once: Wonderland.

Speaking of, BTW, I'm starting to get the feeling that the PTB are setting up a glimpse into a Wonderland that is not only pre-Curse, but pre-Cora (and pre-Jefferson) and one that runs parallel to our world's Victorian Era, especially after I found this. That would justify recasting the Knave of Hearts role and the inclusion of the Red Queen rather than Barbara Hershey's Cora/Queen of Hearts.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Ugh... Talk about a turd that won't flush... :rolleyes:

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

14. DigificWriter

Cross-posting from another board:
    I've only watched a handful of episodes from the current season of the show (mainly due to time), but am nevertheless aware that many people have been disappointed in this season, with many of the complaints having to do with an abundance of different storylines and certain characters - most particularly main characters Ruby and Belle - being sort of pushed to the side as things coalesced around Rumple, Regina, Emma, Henry, Snow, and Charming and recurring characters like Cora, Hook, Baelfire, and others. Because I haven't been able to consistently watch the season, though, I really couldn't comment too much on these feelings, but that's now changed.

Having had an opportunity to watch last night's "The Price of Magic" retrospective, I really have to vehemently disagree with the above-listed complaints. There's actually only ONE story arc being played out through the course of the season, and it basically boils down to this: What happens when magic is brought to a land that previously didn't have it.

All of the characters' individual story arcs are the threads that make up this larger tapestry of an arc, but not every main or recurring character has threads that end up being woven into said tapestry. It's unfortunate, particularly since you can tell that the creators really like all of the characters they've utilized up to this point either as main characters or as recurring/supporting characters, but, as I know from first-hand experience, the process of creative writing is very much an organic one and sometimes a story ends up evolving - on its own - in a direction that doesn't end up providing opportunities to use all of the characters you thought you were going to end up using, as is very much the case with regards to Ruby.

Belle, on the other hand, actually features much more prominently in the larger tapestry that is this season's 'what happens when magic comes to a land that previously didn't have it' storyline than I think many people - particularly die-hard Rumple/Belle shippers - realize. Belle and Rumple would've been separated from each other with or without Killian Jones/Captain Hook's actions, but by introducing the hurdle of Belle losing her FTL memories, the writers escalated the situation and, in doing so, also tied Belle directly into the larger above-mentioned tapestry of the season's story arc by using her predicament to expand the consequences of magic having been brought to a land that didn't previously have it through the introduction of Owen/Greg and Tamara, which they then interwove into Rumple's personal story arc of searching for his son.

Speaking of Baelfire, I was vehemently opposed to the idea of making the character tied directly to Emma and Henry by making him Henry's father (and therefore directly linking Regina, the Charmings, and Rumplestiltskin to each other by blood and therefore diluting the poignancy of Rumple - for good or ill - basically orchestrating the circumstances surrounding the curse's creation and its enactment purely as a means of getting to our world in order to find his son), but, in execution, the PTB ended up defying my expectations and worries by not only making the decision to do so work, but also making Emma's real-world backstory - which had previously only been relevant to her own personal character development - not only relevant to but a critical and integral part of the overall story arc for the season.

I know that others probably won't agree with me, but, after having the opportunity to see every piece of this year's arc - as it's played itself out thus far, anyway - laid out and examined, I actually think the show's gotten better, at least from a purely narrative standpoint. There's been a much slower build this time around than there was in Season 1, but given the way the PTB ended up evolving the show's concept and premise from what it was during that first season, I don't think there was really any other way they could've built up this broader, more expansive narrative arc, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they resolve things and set stuff up for the future.

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Once Upon a Time returned with a pretty good episode. I liked a lot of the little one liners, and we got our introduction to Robin Hood. I really liked Rumplestiltskin trying to get Belle to fall in love with him, and then the way they paralleled Belle falling for Rumple to Lacey falling for Mr. Gold.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought we got some pretty good character stuff for Belle and Gold in this one. So I'm wonder if the bit with Cora using the matchbook means that she didn't have a alternate identity when the curse was originally cast? It'll be interesting to see what they do with Gold now that Lacey likes him for his "darkness", instead of Belle liking him for the goodness she saw inside him. I did not see the end coming, and it will be very interesting to see where they go with that.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's too bad the Henry dream wasn't real, because then the show would be rid of a plot device and a bad actor at the same time.

18. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Aaaah, Hook! That man is a cockroach, you just can't rid of him. A charming swashbuckling man with heart of steel, but a cockroach none the less. :guffaw:

And poor, poor Sheriff of Nottingham, he seems to be everyone's Butt Monkey.

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I've started to like Hook as the henchman who is a mastermind-wannabe. He's never quite as clever as he thinks, and winds up being used and abused by smarter villains. A fitting punishment for being such a tool. :lol:

The opening dream was great, but Rumple could never kill Henry. Murdering children is a place this show just won't go.

Some great fan service in the Rumpbelle story, though. :lol:

20. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Now I am curious, are Lancelot and Robin Hood from the same kingdom? :confused: