star trek the original series relaunch

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by timothy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i need to know if this is the correct reading order for the new reluanch of kirk's era books.

1) the janus gate trilogy
    2) errand of vengence trilogy
    3) gemini
    4) garth of izar
    5) the case ofthe colonist corpse
    6) engines of destiny
    7) errand of fury trilogy
    8) burning dreams
    9) constellations anthologies
    10) crucible trilogy
    11) excelsior : forged in fire
    12) troublesome minds
    13) inception
    14) unspoken truth
    15) the children of kings
    16) a choice of catastrophes forthcoming**
    17) castno shadow forthcoming**

is this the correct reading order or am i missing something.:bolian:

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is no TOS relaunch. Those are all standalone novels/trilogies, without any connections.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If I remember correctly, The Janus Gate trilogy was suppose to be a 'relaunch' of sorts for The Original Series literature... but it seemed to fizzle out pretty quick.

4. timothy

so is it all open ended or is there a timeline?

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC It was supposed to show the TOS era from the perspective of lower deck personell, and thus was called some kind of reboot by ORdover IIRC, but I don't think it was ever planned to be an ongoing narrative.

@timothy:

There are timelines who list the books chronologically (and I'm sure someone will be along to post a link to one eventually), but as I said the books are not connected, so in the end it doesn't really matter if you read them in order.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The modern TOS novels are all stand alones. In the 80's, TOS novels by Diane Duane, J.M. Dillard and one or two others had a loose continuity and recurring characters, although there were no big story arcs like nowadays.

7. timothy

so what about the vanguard series or tng universe?

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As stated, most of those are completely independent of one another. The only ones that are directly connected to one another are the two Errand of... trilogies.

There's no necessary reading order, since they're separate standalones, but to give a rough idea of when they each take place, in very rough chronological order where applicable:

The Children of Kings: Takes place sometime during Pike's command, evidently before "The Cage." However, it's not exactly in the standard Trek timeline.

Inception: Takes place in 2261, when Spock first meets Leila Kalomi and Kirk is involved with Carol Marcus.

Constellations: Various stories taking place throughout the 5-year mission.

The Janus Gate: takes place in the early first season, immediately after "The Naked Time."

Errand of Vengeance/Fury: takes place interspersed with much of the first season, serving as prequels to "Errand of Mercy," as the titles suggest.

Gemini: evidently second season, since it refers to "Amok Time" as somewhat recent.

The Case of the Colonist's Corpse: Second season, concurrent with "The Trouble with Tribbles." This is basically a Perry Mason mystery starring Samuel T. Cogley in Mason's role.

A Choice of Catastrophes: Reportedly in the second season, shortly after "Return to Tomorrow."

Garth of Izar: toward the end of the 5-year mission, allegedly 2 years after "Whom Gods Destroy."

Troublesome Minds: takes place late in the 5-year mission.

Unspoken Truth: spans years of Saavik's life, but the main storyline covers about a year following The Voyage Home.

Excelsior: Forged in Fire: Captain Sulu's first mission, starting in late 2289, three years before The Undiscovered Country.

Cast No Shadow: I don't know why this is listed as a TOS novel, since it's mainly a story about Valeris and novel character Elias Vaughn. It's set in 2300.

Engines of Destiny: Not a TOS-era novel at all, since it deals with Scotty in the 24th century going back in time to prevent Kirk's "death" aboard the Enterprise-B and thus changing history, and working with Guinan to fix the timeline. It basically goes in 2369, soon after TNG: "Relics."

These are harder to place in a timeline:

Burning Dreams: Essentially a biography of Christopher Pike, spanning his lifetime and having frame sequences both shortly after "The Menagerie" and decades later in 2320.

Crucible trilogy: Each book spans decades, covering events throughout the lives of McCoy, Spock, and Kirk, though they all pretty much use "City on the Edge of Forever" as their launching point.

It wasn't meant to be a "reboot" in the sense of replacing regular TOS novels, but it was meant to be ongoing, running parallel with the regular books. And it was the exact opposite of the post-series novels that are popularly called "relaunches," because it took place during TOS whereas the majority of TOS novels take place afterward. The idea was to bring a modern serial sensibility to TOS, to take the one-shot guest stars and casualties from TOS episodes and develop them as ongoing characters so that their onscreen appearances/demises would have more meaning.

But it didn't work out as planned. IIRC, the actual books ended up not being distinct enough from regular TOS books, the "lower decks" continuity element not as prominent as it was supposed to be, so the idea of continuing it as a distinct subset of TOS fiction was dropped.

9. timothy

wow cool thanks for the info. so where does the vanguard series fit in and should i get into these new books. cause I read up to the empty chair and took a break and then I had a robery from a room mate while I was on vaction so I am rebuilding everything ground up.

10. Christopher

Dang, sorry about the robbery. As for Vanguard, it's a series that runs concurrently with TOS but focuses on a different cast, although a lot of the stuff that happens in Vanguard foreshadows or elaborates on events in TOS. The first book guest-stars the Enterprise crew as they're returning from the edge of the galaxy following the second pilot. The second and third books are set between the second pilot and the first season, the fourth book spans most of the first season, and the fifth book spans about a year after that, covering parts of the first and second seasons.

11. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Vanguard is some of the best TOS era I've read. You just have to like the fact it's a completely original crew. Also, events in Vanguard are mentioned in the current TNG books (as past events) so it's connected canonically.

12. timothy

thanks , I am slowly rebuilding my library. so far i started with enterprise relaunch and was wondering were to go from there vanguard seems fun so should I mess with these new books or go onto the next generation time line?

13. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Up to you really, Vanguard of course takes place about 118 years before the current TNG storyline's.

I've recently just got back into reading Star Trek after stopping in the mid '90s. I started with the five Vanguard books ('cause the covers looked so damn cool,) then, after coming in here and poking around and asking the same questions you are...read the TNG Destiny Trilogy then TNG Losing the Peace and A Singular Destiny which has pretty much got me up to speed on what's going on.

From there you can go with the Typhon Pact books, the Titan Series, Voyager...etc, etc.

For myself am going back and going to start reading KRAD's Klingon Empire books as well as stuff like Articles of the Federation, Greater Than The Sum, and so on then come back to Voyager and The Typhon Pact.

14. timothy

do i jump into the destiny or back track on ds9 , tng , voy s.c.e , new frontier and what about the titan series?

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the first two Titan books, to meet Riker's crew, before reading Destiny.

16. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I had similar questions about the 24th century novels a month or so ago. You really need to read through the Charting the Novel-verse thread. Between some very helpful suggestions and reading through this thread, I was able to come up with my own reading order that very closely, if not exactly matches what the going consensus agrees is the best order in which to read these books. I'd taken a ten to twelve year break from TrekLit and wanted to catch up properly. I'm working on it on my new Kindle 3 as we speak (post?)

Personally, I feel you should start with the DS9 relaunch but many don't feel it's as important and start with the Voyager relaunch. I'll attach my reading order below and you can use it as you wish. If you don’t want to read through the DS9 relaunch, they’d be pretty easy to drop off since I’m fairly certain every single one of them fits falls before the Voyager relaunch.

I hope it's helpful and saves you and anyone else reading this thread the time it took me to put it all together, though it was a lot of fun doing the research and putting the list together.

- Byron

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=122092

The proper 24th Century reading order, as per Byron Followell, opinions may vary:

DS9: A Stitch In Time
    DS9: Avatar, Book One
    DS9: Avatar, Book Two
    DS9: Section 31: Abyss
    DS9: Gateways, Book Four: Demons of Air and Darkness
    DS9: Gateways, Book Seven: What Lay Beyond: Horn and Ivory
    DS9: Mission Gamma, Book One: Twilight
    DS9: Mission Gamma, Book Two: This Gray Spirit
    DS9: Mission Gamma, Book Three: Cathedral
    DS9: Mission Gamma, Book Four: Lesser Evil
    DS9: Rising Son
    DS9: Unity
    DS9: Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Volume One: Cardassia & Andor
    DS9: Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Volume Two: Trill & Bajor
    DS9: Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Volume Three: Ferenginar & The Dominion
    DS9: Warpath
    DS9: Fearful Symmetry
    DS9: The Soul Key
    DS9: The Never Ending Sacrifice
    VOY: Homecoming
    VOY: The Farther shore
    VOY: Old Wounds
    VOY: Enemy of My Enemy
    TNG: A Time to Be Born
    TNG: A Time to Die
    TNG: A Time to Sow
    TNG: A Time to Harvest
    TNG: A Time to Love
    TNG: A Time to Hate
    TNG: A Time to Kill
    TNG: A Time to Heal
    TNG: A Time for War, a Time for Peace
    TNG: Death in Winter
    TTN: Taking Wing
    TTN: The Red King
    TNG: Articles of the Federation
    TTN: Orion's Hounds
    TNG: Resistance
    TNG: Q & A
    TNG: Before Dishonor
    TTN: The Sword of Damocles
    TNG: Greater Than The Sum
    Destiny: Gods of Night
    Destiny: Mere Mortals
    Destiny: Lost Souls
    TNG: Losing The Peace
    Destiny: A Singular Destiny
    VOY: Full Circle
    VOY: Unworthy
    TTN: Over a Torrent Sea
    TTN: Synthesis
    Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game
    Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire
    Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire
    Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't prominent in the Janus Gate novels (though as is typical for L.A. Graf novels, they focused on Sulu/Chekov/Uhura/Scotty instead of Kirk/Spock/McCoy), but I thought that the Errand of Vengeance trilogy did a pretty good job of maintaining a "lower decks" feel. Even though it was a lower deck Klingon. :techman:

18. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

Can anyone explain how Children of Kings isn't exactly in the standard timeline?

19. Christopher

True, but I think it was that lack of unity between the two trilogies that kept them from feeling like a continuing series worthy of its own separate subtitle.

Well, to quote myself from the original review thread:

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Children of Kings, Crucible: McCoy, Troublesome Minds and Ex Machina are all TOS must reads.