"World of DS9" reading order

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by theblitz, Apr 19, 2013.

1. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

"Worlds of DS9" reading order

I ordered the 3 books of the set but have so far only got books 2 and 3. Got sent the wrong book instead of book 1.

Is there any problem in reading them out of order?
    Will it spoil the story line?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope just make sure you know that the Dominion story takes place chronologically last. It ends the series on a cliffhanger.

3. theblitz

I'll read the other 3 stories first.
    Maybe by then they will send me the right book.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The six segments are parallel stories with little overlap among them, but they were published in the order they were intended to be read, even though that's different from chronological order.

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Book 2 is actually first in chronological order, and in fact events in book 1 briefly refer back to events in book 2. So you can go ahead and read book 2 if you're still waiting for book 1. As said, however, it's important that you don't read book 3 until last.

As to why the stories were published out of chronological order, IIRC it was basically just to mix things up a bit. Marco Palmieri (the DS9 editor at the time) always liked to try new things, so he decided to play with non-linear storytelling. Since the stories were largely separate, all taking place in different locales, it didn't really matter what order you read them in (except for the last one). So he went with the non-obvious option of deliberately publishing them out of order, and by pairing up cultures that don't normally get paired up - Cardassia with Andor, or Ferenginar with the Dominion. The intensity of the stories, and their connection to the more central arcs of the series, do tend to build as they go on if you read them in published order, but I'm not certain if that was deliberate or just a happy coincidence.

6. theblitz

Is it ok to read the Ferenginar story before reading book one?

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^As stated, the stories parallel each other and have few direct references to one another. Basically WoDS9 is about the series cast splitting up in six different ways and having separate, unrelated adventures. The reading order is more about contrast and dramatic buildup than plot continuity.

8. theblitz

Many thanks.

Started with the Trill story and I'll see how long it is before I get my replacement book.

9. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Speaking as the guy who wrote it, I can assure you that the Ferenginar story can be read before (or after) any of the other 5 parts of WoDS9. It stands on its own from the rest of the miniseries.

10. theblitz

^^^
    I guess you can't ask for a better answer than that!

Thanks.