Favourite Warp Effect...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Smellmet, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Columbia cleared the docking bay and moved off at impulse for several kilometers then engaged her warp drive. She was clear of the structure by some distance.

We've seen ships go to warp out of, or into, planetary atmospheres without any problems before anyway.

2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I thought that was a good idea since Columbia was the second vessel with the Warp 5 engine- it it did not fire up just right a massive antimatter explosion that close to Earth's atmosphere would probably get someone upset.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Her warp drive was functional, it just wasn't running at full capacity until Trip tweaked a few things with the reactor. She was stable and probably already had the core up and running a while prior to leaving.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like the modified refit there.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole.... in system warp jump thing is usually just used for artificial drama. As presented in the shows, the only issue with it would be having to clear any planetary bodies you might smash into. I'm just assuming that either the navigator would compensate for this or the computer would go warning, the course you set will crash you into Uranus.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'm going to say the new Warp effect in BEYOND

The space station seems to be a subspace catapult--if tue, then the Enterprise needs to be in the tube like effect we saw in the 2009 pre/boot. Separate from the universe, rather like hyperspace tubes from Star Wars.

Now THIS effect from BEYOND--this is what the ships OWN warp drive should look like. You can see the ship--you can actually see a space warp (patterns can be FTL--like on giant marquee signs, say).

So this is what an un-aided starship should look like at speed.

From this effect, you can do passive studies as you are flying by a system and not be cut off from observing.

Coming out of a tube--that was when the 2009 Enterprise popped out and almost hit starfleet wrecks.

So the warp effects need to be reversed.

Galileo7 likes this.
  7. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TMP warp looked like it was aping STAR WARS; it's meh, to me. I was okay with the cheap looking warp on TNG, but I was hoping warp effects would evolve through TNG movie run which were a giant disappointment.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

@publiusr , to your credit you had something substantial to add, but resurrecting threads that are well over a year old is generally frowned upon. Feel free to start a new one, I'm shutting this one down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.