Why isn't Old Spock hanging out with nuSarek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by sonak, May 26, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    or is he?

I don't read much of the surrounding non-screen materials of the Abramsverse, so I don't know what's supposed to have happened with nuSarek between Star Trek XI and STID. It seems like every other character who had a decent-sized role in the previous movie and didn't die came back in STID except Sarek.

So Spock Prime is off on the New Vulcan colony. Is Sarek there? And if not, why not? Spock Prime and Sarek Prime had a troubled relationship, but that seems to not be as much the case in the Abramsverse. Wouldn't Spock Prime appreciate the opportunity to get more time with Sarek? To look on it as a second chance at a better relationship?

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Who knows? Maybe he is. But that's not what this movie was about.

Remember, Sarek only appeared in one episode of the original series. He's not a member of the Enterprise crew, so there's no reason to expect to see him in every movie.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I imagine that when Spock Prime got off the phone with new Spock, he turned back to his game of 3D chess with new Sarek, who muttered, "Ungrateful brat never calls me when the ship's in danger...."

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

no, but in this timeline they've made it an important point that there aren't that many Vulcans left, and there's a new Vulcan colony. It makes sense that Sarek would be there.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a deleted scene in ST09 when nuSarek encounters Spock Prime. However they don't actually meet face to face, IIRC. We don't know if they ever did meet; although since Spock Prime was so adamant about not giving his younger self any details about his future (as we saw in STID), I doubt it. Spock Prime probably uses a pseudonym.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Sarek is probably busy being a senior Vulcan representative somewhere.

I'd have thought all surviving Vulcans would have given a genetic specimen to ensure the survival of the species, but not all the survivors will be on New Vulcan.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'd definitely enjoy a return of the character, but he just didn't need to be in this movie.

8. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

NuSarek is about 120 and OldSpock about 150. Would you really wanna "hang out" with your younger father from an alternate timeline?

9. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

What gets me is in the last movie it is Spock prime who tells his younger self that he has located a planet suitable for Vulcans. How did Spock prime become that important in such little time to determine which planet for them to relocate to? If he did then surely Sarek is well aware of him by this time. The Enterprise crew sure is as seen in this movie. If not then new Spock should have got Uhura to patch the communication between him and Spock prime in his quarters or some private location near the bridge so nobody would know there were two of them.

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yes, there wasn't really anything for Sarek to do in this film, but I would love to see Ben Cross reprise the role again, too.

11. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I don't think it takes much time to go over Federation data on uninhabited Minshara class planets and Spock meddling with politics, well, this is what he has done the last years on Romulus so it is hardly surprising that he continues his activities instead of simply doing nothing.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator