Title Possibly Revealed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by OdoWanKenobi, Sep 8, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

While it's just a rumor, this is off Coming Soon:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94526

If it's legit, I like it. It would also seem to fit with the rumors of
    Gary Mitchell. The "Into Darkness" could be indicating going beyond the edge of the galaxy

2. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seems like a lame, not so subtle way of attaching itself to the current "everything has to be dark and gritty" phase the movie industry is going through.

Hope it's not the title.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

sounds more like a game title than a movie title to be honest...

M

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I hope it's just a placeholder, or it will be the worst title a Star Trek movie ever had!

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

God I hope that really isn't the title. What a lame, anti-climatic title that will be if it was true.

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

God...

I see it now... it'll be 'shortened' on forums and websites everywhere to STID... ugh

M

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm remembering that very thing, yes I am. It's also true, however, that TrekMovie had a reliability track record on the last movie which was hugely better than anyone else's, so I still tend to give their say-so a little more weight than most. Time will tell whether that trust is misplaced.

As an aside, just spotted this on Twitter:

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ They did say that they wanted to avoid another title with a colon. This one sounds a little forced though, assuming it is the title.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They should have just called it Darkness.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does. Honestly I assumed the title would be something Star Trek themed but without the words 'Star Trek', like Starship Enterprise or Captain Kirk or Khan or something, a bit like how the Nolan films abandoned 'Batman' altogether after the first feature and replaced it with a common nickname for the character.

Star Trek Into Darkness isn't a good title, and having a colon wouldn't change that, although I can sort of see what they're going for - a star trek into darkness, making the franchise name part of the title, rather than serving as basically a franchise label (leading to such incongruous names like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

So yeah, not wild about the title, but I did really enjoy the last Star Trek movie, (and I liked the titles of Star Trek: Nemesis and Star Trek: Insurrection, and look how those turned out) so we'll see. Or something.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ech! :ack:

Go back to Khan, please. All is forgiven. I like the Khan idea now, honest.

They should call it Star Trek: All You People Bitching About Khan, Are You Happy NOW?

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, back in 1982, people probably complained that "The Wrath of Khan" sounded too pulpy . . .

"They're trying to turn STAR TREK into STAR WARS!"

15. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

Lets be honest, as a whole, the trek community is volatile, so NO title would satisfy the masses.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Supposedly that nickname was forced on the third film by the studio, so it's possible it could have had "Batman" in the title otherwise.

17. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

I don't think this is the real title. Abrams and crew have been fanatical about secrecy and I doubt they would let the title slip out like this.

Also, regarding the colon: this would actually not be the first Trek film without a colon in the title. Both Generations and Nemesis officially lacked colons (see their respective MA pages).

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, it's not the best title. But I don't hate it and wouldn't be opposed to it being the movie's actual title.

And yes, for once I actually am being serious.

19. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell Nicholas Meyer hated that title. He wanted to call it The Undiscovered Country, as the title is a Hamlet reference to death, one of the major themes of the film. He wanted that title so bad he finally used it in his next Trek film, which required Chancellor Gorkon to give the phrase a new meaning to justify the title.

The secrecy has been impressive. I remember having a clearer idea of Insurrection and Nemesis at this point in production. I think there was even a leaked screenplay for INS, but don't quote me on that.

In that case it's a semantic difference. Generations and Nemesis are the actual titles of the film, as is the case with Insurrection, First Contact and so on - with Star Trek put in front as a franchise signifier. For all itnents and purposes that's just like having a colon.

While, presumably, Star Trek Into Darkness is intended to be a single phrase. A star trek into darkness - it sounds odd, yeah, but Star Trek and Nemesis are two different thoughts entirely.
    That may be so, but I'd be surprised if The Dark Knight as a title was forced by the stuidos... as it was the first Batman film not called Batman or Batman Something. The Batman films have been similarly suspicious of colons, though (giving rise to the frankly awkward looking Batman Begins), so there's that.

20. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

You are very kind. (And I don't see that the colon makes a difference, but...)

I don't think it's the best title either because it doesn't really sound like a Star Trek title. I'm guessing that's why they had somebody preemptively come out and say "Now, we're not making a batman movie..." I guess a name's not that important, other than giving some kind of clue as to what the movie is about.

And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was perfect. :) It was a Cardassian made station, so of course it wasn't going to have a name that sounded like something Starfleet would come up with initially, but they had to name it something and I think it works. I don't know what you're talking about! :vulcan:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, did the Bajorans name it DS9 or the Federation/Starfleet? Anyone know? I don't feel like looking it up.