Star Wars Books Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mr Light, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, I'm getting sick of this argument. The old EU lasted for 23 years. There's no reason to reject the new books and comics as canon, just because they might not be canon in 2028.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really, no.

If you see the Rebels/Jedi as morally equivalent to the Empire/Sith then I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Honor Among Thieves came out in paperback on Tuesday. I'm halfway through reading it so far and I'm enjoying it. The writing is excellent, not just the dialogue but the prose as well. It really feels like Movie-Han. The adventure, while standalone-y, is interesting so far.

4. Masiral

I've been doing a SW books reread for a few months now, but I got bogged down for a while in Children of the Jedi. I had forgotten just how boring that book was.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Darth Bane or any of the other noble Sith also likely were murderers. In fact, Bane was a mass murderer. The only nice guy Sith I can think of is Darth Vectivus. What made me put Lumiya in the noble category is that she pretty much let her past vendetta against Luke go, or at least she claimed she did to Jacen, and I believed her. She thought Jacen as a Sith Lord was what the galaxy needed. Perhaps her corruption of him was her final F.U. to Luke, but still she sacrificed herself when she didn't have to.

6. DarKush

You could tell me I'm right :). Both the Rebels, or more so the Jedi, under the aegis of the Republic, sought to impose their kind of order on the galaxy. Even Mace Windu attempted to upend democratic due process and arrest the Chancellor. In the EU the Jedi did remove Daala from being Chief of State.

7. Masiral

If that's what you mean by noble, I still disagree that Lumiya fits, because she didn't let her vendetta against Luke go. She went against the wishes of the One Sith to make a Sith Lord that she could control. And her sacrifice was another FU to Luke, leaving him temporarily down for the count.

8. DarKush

I don't see how her philosophical difference with the One Sith affected Lumiya's nobility. As a protege of Vader, Lumiya likely believed in the Rule of Two. She thought that was the way best for the Sith to conduct business. In the Legacy comics some of the ancient Sith spirits or holocron simulacra called Krayt a false Sith for his One Sith idea.

I think she gave up her life to keep Luke from Jacen. She's perhaps the only Sith that gave up her life to save that of her apprentice. Bane fought to the last to possess Zannah so he could keep living. And we know that Sidious would never sacrifice himself for Vader.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I finished "Honor Among Thieves" last night. It was really good. The ending did not disappoint and went big. I highly recommend it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_novels_by_release_date
    2012[​IMG]Edit
    2013[​IMG]Edit

2014[​IMG]Edit

After FOTJ ended and Plageuis came out in early 2012, the Star Wars books took a bit of a downturn. I'd say Honor Among Thieves is the best since then, very closely followed by Maul Lockdown.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. Masiral

I guess we just disagree on her motivations. I think everything she did in LOTF, including corrupting Jacen and her death, were all part of her vendetta against Luke, and not out of any sort of nobility.

I liked pretty much all of these, but I agree that there was a bit of a downturn. The Last Jedi is probably the only one I thought was bad, but I was a bit disappointed by some of the others, like Crucible (which I would probably like more if it wasn't the last of the post-ROTJ books) and Kenobi (I was hoping for more of a Plagueis-style book for Obi-Wan).

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't hold your breath.

12. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Arresting the Chancellor is upending the democratic process? They can elect a new one after he was exposed as a Sith. The Empire would not allow that.

13. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

You know, I find it kind of funny in some ways that some people are complaining about the Empire still being around in The Force Awakens (and possibly the other upcoming films), but the EU Empire stuck around for even longer, although at peace with the Republic after a couple decades (and was even sort of semi-revived in the Legacy comics, although in two factions).

Then again, attempts to replace the Empire/Sith/Hutts with something different as the big bad(Trade Federation/Seperatists, Yevetha, Yuzzhan Vong, the Killiks and the infighting within the GFFA and New Republic) have had mixed reception by fans, so Abrams and the EU are/were playing it safe I suppose.

14. DarKush

Yes, because the Jedi were about to subvert the will of the people by removing a popularly elected leader. And there was the implicit threat of assassination from Mace, which got explicit after Palpatine revealed his dark side powers. Who gave the Jedi the authority to arrest Palpatine anyway? They were essentially the military so what the Jedi could be seen as doing was conducting a military coup.

15. DarKush

That's cool if we don't see eye to eye on it. I believed the character when she said that she had gotten past the vendetta, if I recall correctly. I thought it made her a more compelling villain to be doing this for noble reasons, noble being from a certain point of view.

16. Wadjda

I assume they had some constitutional right to do so and even if they did not have one the people would not want a Sith Chancellor who trains assassins in his garage. They would had turned on him as soon as it comes out. What was the implicit threat?

17. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Two things.

One: The Jedi were supposedly attached to the Judicial branch of the Republic

Two: Palpatine had gone way over this term limits. There had not been an election since well before the Clone Wars started. Padme's group of 2000 was attempting to talk Palpatine into returning his emergency powers to the Senate and step down following a new election.

Palpatine had planned his relieve perfectly. Just at the time were he have power and could make sweeping changes. The war was ending. If he waited the Senate and people would begin to wonder why he was still Chancellor. But he manage to do it in a way and time so that the Jedi would move against him. All the other governmental systems would be blocked or take so long that a Sith Lord could do a lot of damage, more so they he had done, and more than he eventually did. He played the Jedi right to the end.

18. DarKush

The threat was that if that if Palpatine didn't go 'willingly' with the Jedi they would use force against him.

19. DarKush

No doubt he played the Jedi and the Republic for that matter perfectly. And though he had been in office past his term, that was a democratic decision made by the Senate. There was no going through official channels or due process in what the Jedi were going to do. They didn't even have conclusive proof of Palpatine's identity, except from Anakin, whom Mace didn't fully trust. And even if he was a Sith, is that a crime to be one? The Sith hadn't been evident for a 1,000 years.

20. Wadjda

If he has nothing to worry about, he would go.