Windows 8 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Methos, May 9, 2012.

1. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tried out the free test version that came out about a year ago. Took me 20 minutes to find out how to shut it down again.
    Definitely not upgrading.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

No thanks, I'll stick with Windows 7 like as long as possible.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going of my experiences with the test versions of 8, I won't be upgrading.

If I was using a touchscreen tablet, I might reconsider, but for my desktop/laptop it's not going to happen.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

8 is growing on me. I kind of like the Metro Apps, but I wish it was just a bit more user friendly.

5. JarodRussell

I hope the touchscreen fad dies. For desktops. multi-button mouse vs multi touch gestures: mouse wins.

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with offering both. Within a few years it'll probably be nigh impossible to buy a laptop (and possibly even a desktop) without a touchscreen coming standard. I'm looking forward especially to having high-end tablet/laptop hybrids that also include active digitizer technology so I can finally have the lightweight portable digital sketchbook I always wanted.

7. JarodRussell

For a non-touch system I'd want to be able to complete get rid of the Metro interface.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Er, haven't they been making those active digitizer convertible tablet/laptops for years now? I even had one.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. With awful screens, that weigh a ton, lacking accuracy/sensitivity, etc. (I've yet to see one that has all the features I want/need) and most importantly the technology just wasn't in a place where I would be interested in using it as a mobile device until very recently.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I first experienced Microsoft's "Metro" paradigm when they changed how the XBox interface worked earlier this year. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. It took a long time to find things I was used to finding in seconds, and it still takes a while with some of the sliding tiles. If you miss what you're looking for, you might not find it again until you either A) wait for the tile you're looking for to slide back into view or B) be impatient and start bopping through the different tiles randomly, sliding with the controller in the hopes that you find what you're looking for. IIRC, as with the tablet target market for Windows 8, they made this change on XBox for Kinect users. Don't have a Kinect, and I never plan on getting one. Forcing me to change the way I do things because of a comparatively small subset of users is not good interface design decision-making and it looks as if they're making the same mistake with Windows 8 in a vain attempt to remain competitive with other tablet offerings - Epic Fail. Maybe they'll figure it out in a couple years with Windows 9 - unless, of course, this new behemoth Euro anti-trust lawsuit turns them into a smoking ruin with nothing left for R&D.

And no DVD/BRD support? Really?? Morons... :wtf: :rofl:

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^If I want to use another browser other than IE, I'll use IE to go and download it. I don't need the EU to give me the choice.