Star Trek back on TV!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by DeMilburn, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll believe it when I'm watching the Pilot :vulcan:

2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Have they seen the new movies yet? They might love those.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Probably a sensible attitude.

Me, I'll starting paying attention when something actually goes into production, but even that's no guarantee where TV pilots are concerned.

See "The Robinsons," the most recent "Wonder Woman" pilot, and that CW revival of "Dark Shadows," none of which were ever aired.

4. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

I liked those movies, but they're young teen girls with a girlie-girl preference for bubblegum, pop-princess entertainment. Perhaps if Harry Styles, Taylor Swift or Zac Efron appeared in the third movie, did a couple of songs and broke into a Bollywood-style dance number, I may have a chance to get them into the theatre with me. -But that would ruin Star Trek for me forever. :barf:

5. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You made me visualize this, and now I think I need to undergo deep meditation to purge these memories from my mind. :vulcan:

6. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The movies have the big hunks of Pine, Quinto, and Urban (plus the sexy Cho and the cute for young girls Yelchin as the cute for young girls Chekov.) So I don't see how they couldn't love the new movies.:confused:

This more than proves to me that we need a Starfleet Academy movie or TV series that has young kids in it to bring in young kids to Star Trek like your daughters.:mallory:

7. Greg Cox

Let us not forget that Chekov, with his dreamy Monkees haircut, was added to TOS for the express purpose of attracting teenyboppers. (Alas, it didn't work.)

The more things change . . . .

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I disagree with that. Sure, they aren't pining for a new series like we are, but those who watched it remember it as a great show.

And besides, not like anybody was pining for Coach. And an even smaller nerd group was pining even more for Twin Peaks. I think you're underestimating the laziness of Hollywood. If any producer, for one second, thinks a series' name recognition will make them the slightest amount more money with even the slightest amount less risk than an original idea, they will go for it.

That is why I can't imagine we'll go that much longer without some kind of Star Trek show on the air. Because I have faith in the laziness of Hollywood!

9. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Hollywood may be lazy, but they've sat on their hands for eleven years, and there is still no end in sight. Perhaps after the third movie hits, they will finally hear us.

10. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It may be that they're actually waiting to see whether this trilogy ends on a high note.

If the third does poorly, there's a good chance that most people (non-Trekkies) are all Trekked out and unlikely to stick around for a series.

If the third does well, that basically guarantees an audience for the series because there will be enough new blood in the fandom to keep the series afloat.

I'm not really a fan of the reboots, but I hope that XIII will surprise me because it means a lot of producers and directors will be looking to cash in on a new series -- hopefully on something that TOS-era/TNG-era/Reboot-era fans can all enjoy.

11. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Yeah, I've got hope for the third one too. I hope they don't kill the momentum that's been built.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

On the other hand, there may not be a new series even if Star Trek XIII outperforms XI and XII.

The current owners of Trek really don't have the same need for a new series--syndication and later UPN--that Paramount had back in the day.

13. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Successful movies may actually hurt any chance for a new series. As you may remember, TNG was extremely successful going into its seventh year in 1994, but they killed it off in hopes of launching that crew into movies, which are far more profitable dollar for dollar. So, it must be taken into account that they don't want to saturate the market the way it was done in the mid-late 90s.

And perhaps the success or failure of another reboot movie won't really affect a new series at all. TV and the big screen are often apples and oranges...

14. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really hope so!

I've just rewatched Enterpise and seasons 3 and 4 are excellent. I was sad when it was cancelled and personally I think it should to be completed.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

After NuTrek 1 and 2, I have low expectations for 3.

16. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Me too. And that's not even a reflection upon how the other two movies fared. I just think that all of the behind-the-scenes jostling that has been reported can't be a good sign that things are going well.

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Behind-the-scenes jostling happens a lot in Hollywood, especially with movie sequels as ideas are tossed about on both sides of the camera. But it usually stops prior to pre-production. What really isn't a good sign is when that jostling happens while a movie is actually being filmed.
    :eek:

18. Greg Cox

I wouldn't make too much of this. Sounds like just the usual behind-the-scenes wrangling that goes on in the early stages of most movies. It can be complicated process, trying to get all your ducks in a row on a major motion picture. This doesn't sound all that unusual, by Hollywood standards.

Just look at TMP and WOK . . . .

19. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Perhaps I just never paid much attention to the behind the scenes wrangling before.

20. Greg Cox

Whereas as I'm all too used to last-minute personnel changes, rewrites, reshoots, etc.

Seriously, the movie hasn't even started filming yet. Seems a bit early to start declaring it a troubled projection. :)