Academy

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by arthurb16, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Cartwrights probably have acres of the Ponderosa set aside for the graves of wives, girlfriends and hangers on. ;)

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

YES.

Timewalker, I've been telling people we need to go ahead and amend the Constitution to give "personhood" and equal rights to aliens and any animals or artificial intelligences that are capable of honestly asking for them since I was 10 or 11! We need to be ahead of the game, not struggling to catch up all the time.

3. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno. I gotta say, if I had to pick one of those three, I think it would be one of the two that's not based on TV show. :D

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It would be like going to Gilligan's First Mate Training School.

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking at the other thread about Trekkies dying off, and comparing it to this one ...

It makes me think that there are younger fans who are desperate for something, anything, to give them hope for the future.

The answers can be found, but they might be surprised where they find them. :)

6. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Or Melakon's College of Political Science.

7. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

I'm pretty sure I'd leave with a foot in my butt if I walked into an HR department with my Star Fleet Academy scroll on-hand...

8. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Right now, sure. With enough money and the right professors, the name "Starfleet Academy" (or even "Butt Monkey University") could very quickly become .... well, considerably less of a joke, at any rate. Get the US Air Force to endorse it, on top of that, and it might change from a joke to something that makes people a little nervous and curious, wondering what is going on.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Join NOAA. Wear uniforms. Do Science.

10. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The NOAA Commissioned Officers Corps, to be exact. It's considered one of the uniformed branches of the United States.

11. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

++

It's kind of depressing reading some of these comments; all these supposed trek "fans" and they just treat the optimistic and technically advanced future portrayed by ST as a joke. Maybe "ST Academy" is a hard sell, but it seems a lot better than the assembly-line factories modern colleges have become, merely setting you on life's treadmill.

12. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Maybe we could start with UESPA Academy first. Being lesser known you might be able to build a positive rep faster.